Menu

Discovery Education Streaming

We are able to get Discovery videos through our educational television network (in South Carolina), just like public schools do, at no charge. I don't know if it is the same content as Discovery Education Streaming, but I believe it is. We have found it very useful. You might want to see if this is available in your state. We just had to register as a homeschool and request a password.

We have it, and there seems to be a lot there, but in all honesty - I forget about it. I think it's because our schedule is so full that to add a 15 minute video is many times out of the question schedule-wise........I've been wondering about it's relevance now with YouTube that seems to be broadening it's scope.

However, there is an excellent beginning (and intermediate, I think) Spanish program - really good I thought, and I've viewed age-appropriate videos on puberty, science - gosh - it's all there.

I think there is a free month trial period........

We are able to get Discovery videos through our educational television network (in South Carolina), just like public schools do, at no charge. I don't know if it is the same content as Discovery Education Streaming, but I believe it is. We have found it very useful. You might want to see if this is available in your state. We just had to register as a homeschool and request a password.

Where do you register???

I have this and love it.

We have used it for Science, doing Apologia Zoo II, Marine Animals....so we are able to watch different videos on all kinds of ocean creatures.

We have used it for History...any subject you want to talk about, there is something....we talked about the Berlin Wall coming down and then promptly went and watched the actual footage of Ronald Reagan's speech at the Berlin Wall.

We have watched it for various other things here and there.

It has a Spanish program that many people like, but the system to organize the lessons was painstaking, so I never followed through on that. We did the first few lessons and did like it, so might do it again. It even had a TM to print if wanted, and correlating worksheets for the lessons. The first lesson, they had my son making a family tree with the Spanish words for family members.

There is SO much on there, Language Arts, etc etc etc. What I really like about it is that you can have the child watch just a few minutes of a program. For example, if you were to watch a documentary on Animal Planet about ocean creatures, but just wanted to hear about jelly fish, your child would have to sit for the whole 30-60 minute program just to hear the five minutes of jellyfish. Here, they have listed the program out by subject matter, so you can click right to the five minutes of jellyfish and just watch that part.

I love it.

We love this! We use the videos nearly everyday. My dh rigged up a special cable to the big screen tv so that I can play the videos and everyone gets a good seat. We use them for our lessons mostly in history and science. The kids take a break with fruit smoothies and watch a video between classes. Unitedstreaming gets a two thumbs up from us!

I ordered it through Homeschool Buyers Coop (45% off) and we love it! I use it all the time especially for science, and we're just starting the Spanish program, which is worth half the price of the subscription by itself. I printed out the teachers manual and the student worksheets and put them in binders, and the kids love it (as opposed to Auralog, which they hated!).

Jackie

I signed up for a year thru a homeschool group, but honestly, I don't use it much and I don't like it. Maybe it's just user ignorance on my part, but I find it hard to search. I have spent ten minutes looking up a topic and found only 3 minute videos. And once I have found a topic, the videos are teeny tiny in size on my monitor, and if I try to enlarge them, they are impossibly grainy. Some are much better than others, and it's hard to know which are good if they aren't rated. We have tried downloading them onto our hard drive, but it's a pain for me. I won't be renewing.

I suggest trying out their 30 day free trial if you can to see if you like it, before you commit.