Menu

Swine flu in Mexico

My sister lives in Mexico City and just called to tell me the Mexican government has closed all schools, museums, public places, etc. in Mexico City due to a big outbreak of the swine flu. About 60 people have died and close to 1,000 have been infected. Apparantly it has also crossed the border and cases have been found in California and Texas.

Here's a link to an article from CNN: (Sorry, I'm not sure if I'm linking this right, so I'll type it out, too.)URL="http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/24/swine.flu/index.html#cnnSTCText'>http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/24/swine.flu/index.html#cnnSTCText"]http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/24/swine.flu/index.html#cnnSTCText[/url]http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/24/swine.flu/index.html#cnnSTCText

My sister just called to let us know, and then hung up to head to the store to stock up on supplies. They don't know how long things will be closed.

I was just reading about the ones in San Diego, of course I did not find out where in San Diego. I think its been 3 -4.

The head says not epidemic yet. I wonder how far up Mexico its going, my friend is going to Cancun in a couple wks. Maybe he should wait.

Are there any precations being reccomended?

Danielle, I'm not sure what precautions are recommended, but my sister did tell me that they are passing out masks to people on the buses and the subway. Also, she just got back from the SuperRama and all the employees were wearing masks (like surgeon's masks). She has cancelled all her plans, including going to church, for the weekend and not having anyone come to her home for deliveries or whatnot, because her son is just getting over the stomach flu and she feels their immune systems are not very strong right now.

I was just reading about the ones in San Diego, of course I did not find out where in San Diego. I think its been 3 -4.

The head says not epidemic yet. I wonder how far up Mexico its going, my friend is going to Cancun in a couple wks. Maybe he should wait.

The NPR story I heard this morning said that the patients in CA and TX (some children) were all doing well and recovering. It looks like a new type of swine flu that can be passed from person to person. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on the story.

USDGAL - I think they are only recommending frequent hand-washing for now. It looks like there is no vaccine for this flu so we'll just keep our fingers crossed. So far, it hasn't appeared in QRoo but there are definitely cases in San Diego and Texas (as well as DF).

The NPR story I heard this morning said that the patients in CA and TX (some children) were all doing well and recovering. It looks like a new type of swine flu that can be passed from person to person. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on the story.

that's great for you guys in the US, but here in Mexico we have 63-68 dead.

that's great for you guys in the US, but here in Mexico we have 63-68 dead.

I'm with you there. I've been getting conflicting news though. Some of the Mexcian papers I could find here in San Diego are saying it wasn't the flu just a cold (that's some kind of cold), my sister heard a Mexican news station this morning say the numbers were up to 200 dead but the Mex gov says no not up to epidemic numbers. So I guess I will rely on American sources. I'm staying state side for a while any how, but I'm concerned. Our family is in Northern Mexico and BIL & SIL are in Hidalgo near DF. My husband is going to give them a call today when he gets in to make sure they are taking it seriously and staying indoors (teenagers). Does anybody kno if they have traced the US cases back to Mex ot some other sorce?

Danielle