Menu

What about MEP math? And placement question.

We have only been using it for about 3 weeks so I don't have long term experience with it. But in the last three weeks, my dd has changed from tolerating math to loving it. She is now even dreaming about becoming a famous mathematician. It was very teacher intensive when we first started it, but we have streamlined it a little. The teacher notes are great, and the problem sets are challenging and varied. My dd was more than half way through BJU3 and Singapore 3A, but I backed her up to the lessons in the second half of MEP 2 so that she could start at the beginning of the multiplication.

For placement, they have a .pdf with the Scheme of Work which helped with placement. It shows which lessons each skill is taught in.

Jst so you know, our year 4 in the UK is your grade 5.

Stephanie

Just by looking over the material, I'm pretty sure it's the other way. UK 4 would be US 3.

My ds is in 5th grade and has been struggling with his math for the last couple of months. My thinking is to put him in 4, but I don't know if I should just start at the beginning or place him where it seems he needs to be according to the Scheme of Work that Karen posted (thank you, Karen...very helpful).

Hi Christie,

I've got a not-yet 5 year old who's working in level one (and loving it!) so I can't be overly helpful on placement, other than to say even the early materials have challenging aspects that provoke thought. And MEP has a certain way of "doing things" that is a bit "foreign" (an aspect I like but must adjust my old-brain to comprehend, no problem for Spylet).

So I'd drop back as far as you need to for you to feel comfortable with the program(me). You could move at an accelerated rate through the workbooks, by-passing work that was too easy, and slowing down for problems that clue you into the MEP method and use of symbols (and the like).

The good news is MEP is really fun!

This despite its "no frills" black and white simplicity. But the mental challenges are intriguing.

The lesson plans have a lot of great ideas to complete the programme. If you are playing "catch up", you might read through these, glean (and use) some of the best ideas (again this is a "fun" AND efficacious method) with your son.

But I tend to think it would serve you better to "accelerate" MEP, than to start at too high a level. Or to start at the beginning and feel you need to do it all. Am I making sense?

Find the level (or better said) the "problems" with-in levels that are challenging enough to "intrigue" him, but give him enough backtracking so he has enough exposure to the method not to feel frustrated. When he finds it "fun" you've found the right spot(s).

Bill

Hi Christie,

I've got a not-yet 5 year old who's working in level one (and loving it!) so I can't be overly helpful on placement, other than to say even the early materials have challenging aspects that provoke thought. And MEP has a certain way of "doing things" that is a bit "foreign" (an aspect I like but must adjust my old-brain to comprehend, no problem for Spylet).

So I'd drop back as far as you need to for you to feel comfortable with the program(me). You could move at an accelerated rate through the workbooks, by-passing work that was too easy, and slowing down for problems that clue you into the MEP method and use of symbols (and the like).

The good news is MEP is really fun!

This despite its "no frills" black and white simplicity. But the mental challenges are intriguing.

The lesson plans have a lot of great ideas to complete the programme. If you are playing "catch up", you might read through these, glean (and use) some of the best ideas (again this is a "fun" AND efficacious method) with your son.

But I tend to think it would serve you better to "accelerate" MEP, than to start at too high a level. Or to start at the beginning and feel you need to do it all. Am I making sense?

Find the level (or better said) the "problems" with-in levels that are challenging enough to "intrigue" him, but give him enough backtracking so he has enough exposure to the method not to feel frustrated. When he finds it "fun" you've found the right spot(s).

Bill

:iagree: I have two fifth graders. We started MEP in yr 3 and working our way to yr 4. You definitely have to open the lessons and see what your child has covered already. I agree with starting them in a year that is 50% review and 50% new concepts. There is some helpful placement info in the FILES section of the yahoo group also in addition to the password for the locked lessons. MEP is fun, spiral and definitely beefs up your child's critical thinking skills.

yes sorry we are a higher number than you so our year 4 is your grade 3 and our year 5 is your grade 4. We start school earlier-full time education must start at 5 yrs-the term after the child reaches 5 yrs.

I have been looking at this too but it seems as if the teachers notes are geared to a classroom. Is it difficult to adapt? I have friends who don't use the teacher notes at all, just give their children the work to do and help them if necessary but that wouldn't work for us.

Stephanie

Okay, I'm a newbie. But let me see if I understand. MEP is a complete Elemenentary School math curriculum that is available for printing off the web and there is no cost, or books to buy?:party:

Or is it too early for me to throw a party?

ivette

Edited by irizarry4

I am a total newbie with MEP, but I am already very excited. My dd is doing Singapore PM 2A, but I dowloaded the Year 1 MEP materials. Some of it looks like total review for her, while other parts approach things in a new way. Right now I'm planning to use it as a supplement, but if I continue to be as impressed as I currently am, it might end up getting equal time around here. And it is free!