Menu

My dd's 7th grade schedule for next year--how does it look?

Brindee

Math--Life of Fred Beginning Algebra

Bible--??

Art--Drawing Basics with Thomas Kinkade &/or Notgrass Learn to Draw

Grammar/Language--Language Lessons for the Elementary Child 2

History--live books and study guides

Geography--Possibly Trail Guides to World or US Geography, Would really like WP's "Draw Your World"!

Vocabulary/Spelling--Vocabulary From Classical Roots A

Writing/Composition--Write Shop

Science--Rainbow Science

Music--Piano Lessons

Foreign Language--Spanish

Am I missing anything? Anyone have a favorite Bible study type program? Anyone have a favorite Spanish program?

Any thoughts, ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thankyou for your time!

Edited by Brindee
Forgot to add in Geography

Oh, oops, I'm adding it in now, but I forgot to put in Write Shop for writing/composition. Thanks Cynthia!

Would the living books and study guides work for lit.? If not, what would be good to use? We did some of the Lightning Lit 7 this year.

DD did Saxon 7/6, then TT Pre Algebra, and this year did LoF Decimals and Percents and Fractions books. She now feels she is ready to tackle Algebra. Since she loved the 2 LoF books so much, we decided to stick with it for the Algebra as well.

Edited by Brindee

I think it looks good, but I will comment on the art. We did Thomas Kinkade last year for my ds in 4th grade. I think it would be too basic and childish for a 7th grader, even at a beginning art level. I think Kinkade is a wonderful teacher and really explains the concepts well but I don't think the program would challenge or engage a middle schooler.

I have not seen the Notgrass program so I can't comment on it.

I think it looks good, but I will comment on the art. We did Thomas Kinkade last year for my ds in 4th grade. I think it would be too basic and childish for a 7th grader, even at a beginning art level. I think Kinkade is a wonderful teacher and really explains the concepts well but I don't think the program would challenge or engage a middle schooler.

I have not seen the Notgrass program so I can't comment on it.

EL, I wondered about that. It says it's up through 8th grade, but.....

Here's the link for the Notgrass: http://www.notgrass.com/learn-to-draw-drawing-instruction.php

EL, I wondered about that. It says it's up through 8th grade, but.....

Here's the link for the Notgrass: http://www.notgrass.com/learn-to-draw-drawing-instruction.php

Actually the sample doesn't look half bad. It looks like some of the same teaching Kinkade does but without the Lifepac format (which kind of drove me batty anyway). Plus the price is much better.

Now I may have to look at that for ds. Thanks for the link, I think. :lol::lol:

Actually the sample doesn't look half bad. It looks like some of the same teaching Kinkade does but without the Lifepac format (which kind of drove me batty anyway). Plus the price is much better.

Now I may have to look at that for ds. Thanks for the link, I think. :lol::lol:

AND, it says it's for ages 10 and up, so it shouldn't be so elementary! You're welcome, I think! :lol:

Oh, oops, I'm adding it in now, but I forgot to put in Write Shop for writing/composition. Thanks Cynthia!

Would the living books and study guides work for lit.? If not, what would be good to use? We did some of the Lightning Lit 7 this year.

The study guides with the living books would work for me as long as the guides taught literary concepts not just comprehension. I'm guessing different people will have different ideas on what it should include. I'm just embarking on Lit so I'm not sure what all is supposed to be included. Dd12 will be using Lightning Lit 7 this coming year.

Am I missing anything? Anyone have a favorite Bible study type program? Anyone have a favorite Spanish program?

Any thoughts, ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thankyou for your time!

I am using Spanish Now with my daughter. I like it because the stories are funny it has funny illustrations. It also has crossword puzzles and stuff in it too. She likes it. The only draw back to Spanish Now, is that the instructor needs to be somewhat familiar with Spanish. It doesn't come with any type of cd's or anything like that so you would need to know how to pronounce the words. I speak Spanish so it's not a problem for me, but I could see how it could be a draw back to someone who's not that familiar with Spanish pronunciation. I also bought a book of children's stories in spanish and I make up flash cards from the stories of vocab words and have her memorize those in addition to her coursework in Spanish Now. One thing I did that she enjoyed was I wrote down all of the words individually from Country Mouse City Mouse and put them on cards and mixed them all up so that they were out of order. I would assign her 20 words a week to memorize and we would do timed speed races with the cards on Fridays. When she had all of the words for that story memorized I pulled out the book and had her read it. She was blown away that she could sit down and read this story out loud and understand it all. She really enjoyed that. :)

I am using Spanish Now with my daughter. I like it because the stories are funny it has funny illustrations. It also has crossword puzzles and stuff in it too. She likes it. The only draw back to Spanish Now, is that the instructor needs to be somewhat familiar with Spanish. It doesn't come with any type of cd's or anything like that so you would need to know how to pronounce the words. I speak Spanish so it's not a problem for me, but I could see how it could be a draw back to someone who's not that familiar with Spanish pronunciation. I also bought a book of children's stories in spanish and I make up flash cards from the stories of vocab words and have her memorize those in addition to her coursework in Spanish Now. One thing I did that she enjoyed was I wrote down all of the words individually from Country Mouse City Mouse and put them on cards and mixed them all up so that they were out of order. I would assign her 20 words a week to memorize and we would do timed speed races with the cards on Fridays. When she had all of the words for that story memorized I pulled out the book and had her read it. She was blown away that she could sit down and read this story out loud and understand it all. She really enjoyed that. :)
That sounds really good! Thanks! I haven't taken Spanish, but my dad was very good with pronunciation, and I can figure out the puncuation because I know the vowel sounds for Spanish. My ds17 is almost fluent in Spanish now, just needs to work on speed. I can ask him questions about pronunciation as well if I can't figure it out. It's worth looking into anyway, but I may need a more laid out choice--with less work from me.

That sounds really good! Thanks! I haven't taken Spanish, but my dad was very good with pronunciation, and I can figure out the puncuation because I know the vowel sounds for Spanish. My ds17 is almost fluent in Spanish now, just needs to work on speed. I can ask him questions about pronunciation as well if I can't figure it out. It's worth looking into anyway, but I may need a more laid out choice--with less work from me.

Ah! I stand corrected. I just checked on Amazon.com to see if they had it for you to look inside and apparently the new version has a CD! :)

http://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Now-Level-1-CDs/dp/0764177745/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240549768&sr=8-1

I am using Spanish Now with my daughter.

I'll second the recommendation for Spanish Now - I'm using Spanish the Easy Way with my kids this year, which is pretty much the same book as Spanish Now with a different cover and no CD - but if you don't know Spanish I'd recommend the version with the CD. :D But it's been going very well.

I decided to go ahead and order this! Thanks for your suggestions! :001_smile:

Oh you did!! I'm so glad it was helpful. I hope you and your daughter enjoy the book. Feel free to PM me anytime if you have a question since I'm using it as well. :) I'll be happy to help you any way that I can. :)

Blessings,

Jen

Concordia Voyages has a two semester 7th grade curriculum that I have used this year, and I really liked it. The first semester is Church History. CPH is a conservative Lutheran publisher, and the POV reflects that but specifically Lutheran material doesn't dominate except in the Reformation and American settlement periods. It includes applications, Bible readings and memory work, and map work; and it was an excellent capstone for my DD's study of world and American history--putting the Christian material into perspective for her and tieing it all together.

The second semester is Old Testament, and it's good. Bible stories read in the original texts and presented in an age appropriate way, varieties of formats, memory work, and applications are in each lesson.

IIRC, there are enough lessons to use this 3-4 days/week for an entire school year.

Their 8th grade curricula go on from there and also look very good. First semester is New Testament, and second semester is Social Issues from a Biblical perspective.

The amount of work is more than most homeschooling Bible curricula that I have seen but less than lower level Concordia work--I believe that that is because they assume that students will simultaneously be studying the Catechism for confirmation.

Yes I am still looking. I will go look this up, thankyou! I looked and can't really find it as a curriculum and how much it costs, etc., I just see it mentioned. Do you have a link to a site I could find that information on? Thanks!

Edited by Brindee

Thanks! I was asking about this elsewhere. I looked up Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox, and they said it's for 8th grade and up, and age 13 and up. She just turned 12, and has been working through the Dandylion series. Not sure if that's enough base to draw from to do Fallacy Detective or not??? (especially with a mom who never learned logic, so has no clue!) :

Yes I am still looking. I will go look this up, thankyou! I looked and can't really find it as a curriculum and how much it costs, etc., I just see it mentioned. Do you have a link to a site I could find that information on? Thanks!

I don't have a link, but google Concordia Publishing House and you will find it. Then search on Voyages and look at seventh and eighth grade curricula. Voyages is used in Lutheran grade schools, so it's a pretty meaty program.

You need the student book, and a Bible for sure. If you're Lutheran or interested in a foundational, accessible, Lutheran catechism, "Luther's Small Catechism" is good to have--CPH has it in booklet form, very cheap. It was written by Martin Luther and covers the 10 commandments, the Apostles' Creed, the Lord's Prayer, Baptism, the Office of the Keys, and the Lord's Prayer. I like having the TE to get the answers to the questions as well as provide background and extensions, but those are undeniably pricey and you can definitely do without them if need be.

The website is not all that great, so you can't see samples. I first saw these at show of some sort, and found them outstanding and just kept ordering the next ones, but if you want to see before you buy, call their 800 number and ask about whether they have money back return policy. I think they are pretty good about that. Also ask about their homeschooling discount (10%, but you have to order by phone rather than from the website) and whether they have any used or damaged goods at a further discount. I have ordered those and saved a lot, and not found any damage at all.

Thanks! I was asking about this elsewhere. I looked up Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox, and they said it's for 8th grade and up, and age 13 and up. She just turned 12, and has been working through the Dandylion series. Not sure if that's enough base to draw from to do Fallacy Detective or not??? (especially with a mom who never learned logic, so has no clue!) :

My 12 year old loved them, probably a little bit too much. She is always pointing out fallacies in my logic now. I have a love/hate attitude toward that!

My son really enjoys the Positive Action for Christ bible curricula: http://www.positiveaction.org/pages/htmlos/1046.1.2745495284913250898

We have used the 4th-5th grade books and I actually purchased the 6th grade book for next year even though my son will be going into 7th. Our plates will be full with Latin and CW and TOG and... so I am OK with our bible curriculum not having a "7" on the cover. ;) Plus, the middle school stuff is more teacher intensive, whereas the elem is quite independent. Regardless of the level, it's good stuff straight from the bible. They have samples on their website.

I learned of this curriculum years and years ago when my oldest son went to a very popular and expensive private Christian school in 4th grade. This was the curriculum they used. When he came back home to school, I continued with it. This year, for the first time, I also purchased the TM and the Chorus/Hymns CD. They have a lot of used stuff for sale right now!! I purchased "used", but the stuff I got was not used at all...it was brand new, returned curriculum, at a used price.

Anyhow...something to consider. Definitely look at the middle school stuff (it looks really good!) if your OK with teaching and don't need something pick-up-and-go.

(I plan to use Wise Up! next year...it is a study of Proverbs)

Edited by Melissa in CA

Are you looking for Bible recommendations? We used the 6th grade book of Positive Action for Christ and are very pleased with it. We don't do it like the teacher's book says. I let her use it more as an individual study and devotion. I didn't feel that quizzes and tests were necessary for what we wanted. I also didn't want her to have to answer to me things that were personal between her and God. Here's a link to their junior high choices.

http://www.positiveaction.org/pages/htmlos/50205.1.2775971716017126928

There is a scope and sequence that covers all of them. We are going with Dynamics of Christian Living for 7th and Wise Up, the one on Proverbs for 8th. The creative writing one looks very interesting as well. I may get books for myself and do along with her. They were appealing to me as well.

My son really enjoys the Positive Action for Christ bible curricula: http://www.positiveaction.org/pages/htmlos/1046.1.2745495284913250898

We have used the 4th-5th grade books and I actually purchased the 6th grade book for next year even though my son will be going into 7th. Our plates will be full with Latin and CW and TOG and... so I am OK with our bible curriculum not having a "7" on the cover. ;) Plus, the middle school stuff is more teacher intensive, whereas the elem is quite independent. Regardless of the level, it's good stuff straight from the bible. They have samples on their website.

I learned of this curriculum years and years ago when my oldest son went to a very popular and expensive private Christian school in 4th grade. This was the curriculum they used. When he came back home to school, I continued with it. This year, for the first time, I also purchased the TM and the Chorus/Hymns CD. They have a lot of used stuff for sale right now!! I purchased "used", but the stuff I got was not used at all...it was brand new, returned curriculum, at a used price.

Anyhow...something to consider. Definitely look at the middle school stuff (it looks really good!) if your OK with teaching and don't need something pick-up-and-go.

(I plan to use Wise Up! next year...it is a study of Proverbs)

Are you looking for Bible recommendations? We used the 6th grade book of Positive Action for Christ and are very pleased with it. We don't do it like the teacher's book says. I let her use it more as an individual study and devotion. I didn't feel that quizzes and tests were necessary for what we wanted. I also didn't want her to have to answer to me things that were personal between her and God. Here's a link to their junior high choices.

http://www.positiveaction.org/pages/htmlos/50205.1.2775971716017126928

There is a scope and sequence that covers all of them. We are going with Dynamics of Christian Living for 7th and Wise Up, the one on Proverbs for 8th. The creative writing one looks very interesting as well. I may get books for myself and do along with her. They were appealing to me as well.

Yes, I'm still open for suggestions! Thankyou, both of you! I will go look that up now!

Okay, these look really good to me! mom31257, The only 6th grade on I see is called "Winning the Race". I don't see any called "Positive Action for Christ". I'm going to research these more fully....thanks again!

Edited by Brindee

Yes, I'm still open for suggestions! Thankyou, both of you! I will go look that up now!

Okay, these look really good to me! mom31257, The only 6th grade on I see is called "Winning the Race". I don't see any called "Positive Action for Christ". I'm going to research these more fully....thanks again!

"Positive Action for Christ" is the curriculum company name, the different grade levels/studies have a variety of different names. You are right, the 6th grade book is titled "Winning the Race." The others mom31257 mentioned are in the middle school category. There are several to choose from, some more difficult than others, so if choosing one from the middle school selection be sure to look at the samples closely. When I researched them I found some to be seemingly harder than others.

Hths!

For the Bible, my 12yodd is in Awana, but we are strongly considering Bible Quizzing for next year in 7th. They memorize a book or two of the Bible and have to be able to answer questions about them, not just reciting from the beginning. We went to a practice for a regional quiz and it was amazing what these kids knew and really understood.

For the Bible, my 12yodd is in Awana, but we are strongly considering Bible Quizzing for next year in 7th. They memorize a book or two of the Bible and have to be able to answer questions about them, not just reciting from the beginning. We went to a practice for a regional quiz and it was amazing what these kids knew and really understood.
Is there a website or books or something to find out more about this?

We're doing Lightbearer's Worldview training and AIG's Pilgrim's Progress study for Bible in 7th grade. I've already recieved them both and I'm even MORE excited about it! Just a tip. :)

We're also going to read through Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology over the course of 7th and 8th grade. I'll be reading it aloud, 3 or 4 pages a day, and discussing each reading together.

We're doing Lightbearer's Worldview training and AIG's Pilgrim's Progress study for Bible in 7th grade. I've already recieved them both and I'm even MORE excited about it! Just a tip. :)

We're also going to read through Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology over the course of 7th and 8th grade. I'll be reading it aloud, 3 or 4 pages a day, and discussing each reading together.

Do you have links to those things handy?

You guys have all been great offering ideas and suggestions! Thankyou so much!