Menu

Fun chemistry curriculum???

mominbc

My animal-loving 8yo is really enjoying Pandia Press's REAL Science Odyssey Chemistry (level 1). :) They have the first several lessons posted for free as a sample on their website. That's what we're using right now. I'm pretty sure we'll be buying it, though. It's great. It's a great balance between info and experiments. My 7yo is doing Earth Science, which is also great.

My animal-loving 8yo is really enjoying Pandia Press's REAL Science Odyssey Chemistry (level 1). :) They have the first several lessons posted for free as a sample on their website. That's what we're using right now. I'm pretty sure we'll be buying it, though. It's great. It's a great balance between info and experiments. My 7yo is doing Earth Science, which is also great.

:iagree: This is exactly what I was going to reply with about 20 minutes ago. But then I got sidetracked...

We are doing The Elements, by Ellen McHenry. I highly recommend it as a starting point. It wonderfully introduces atoms, the periodic table, electron orbitals, bonding, + more. With this as a starting point, Chemistry is understandable and much more fun. The other books I have looked at seem fine, but just don't start at an understandable beginning like Ellen does. And it is very fun and funny.

We began with Real Science for Kids, but then I quickly had to order the Elements as the kids could remember the work (ie. Carbon bonds with 4 other elements, etc) but Ellen explains WHY in a great, fun way.

After finishing this, we'll probably quickly go through RS4K again (but it' not much fun) and then do NOEO. Can't tell you much about this. Oh, and somewhere I'm going to fit in Ellen's Carbon Chemistry.

I also have Science Explorer, and it is PACKED with information, but it looks good. I might not recommend it for someone who is not interested in science.

Penny

You can check out NOEO Science Chemistry II. My dd, 6th grade, did it this year and enjoyed it. She tweaked it a bit to suit her better, but she LOVED all the books and made up her own experiements and projects! It was worth it to me because it sparked her interest, and I let her go! :)

Anyone have a favorite chemistry program they could recommend for my grade 7 dd? She does not like science at all except biology(she is a nature and animal lover).

Thanks

Would level 1 of Science Odyssey be too basic for a 7th grader, though?

I was wondering about this as my idea was to use either this or McHenry's Elements for our fourth grade chemistry program.

Whoa. :001_huh: Whoops. I need to work on my reading comprehension when it's past midnight. :blush: I thought the OP was looking for a chemistry rec for her 7 year old. :tongue_smilie: Duh. :leaving: now.

Guest 4boys

God's Design has a Chemistry set, I have not used them personally but I plan to once my kids are older. I believe the age on it is Gr. 3-8. Here is the first book: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=921629&netp_id=610540&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW&view=covers

I believe the other books are called Properties of Ecosystems and Properties of Atoms and Molecules.

Whoa. :001_huh: Whoops. I need to work on my reading comprehension when it's past midnight. :blush: I thought the OP was looking for a chemistry rec for her 7 year old. :tongue_smilie: Duh. :leaving: now.

:lol: Don't worry, I'm very capable of doing this, double posting and a number of other human things :grouphug:

Well, Veritas, Pandia Press is planning on making more R.E.A.L. Science in the future, including middle grade Chemistry so you're on the right track, just maybe a bit early :)

I'm throwing this one out there as I had saved it months ago as a possibility to look at for middle school science: Exploration Education Intermediate Physical Science.

Edited by sagira

You can check out NOEO Science Chemistry II. My dd, 6th grade, did it this year and enjoyed it. She tweaked it a bit to suit her better, but she LOVED all the books and made up her own experiements and projects! It was worth it to me because it sparked her interest, and I let her go! :)

:DOOPS!! I missed this.

I'll check this one out.Thanks for posting:)

What are your thoughts on real science 4 real kids? Anyone try Noeo chemistry? Are these fun?

Thanks for the great suggestions!!

RS4K Chemistry 2 is very good at explaining real chemistry concepts in terms that younger kids can understand. IMHO it is by far the best of all the RS4K books, so if your daughter is not big on science and has never had chemistry, that might be a good introduction. The RS4K books are VERY short, though, they are not even close to a whole year's curriculum, so you would need to supplement quite a lot. The author also does not provide any lab suggestions for Chem II (she says students should design their own labs) so you would have to supply that component on your own.

I think Noeo Chemistry II would be an excellent program for a "non-sciencey" 7th grader. It would cover all the basics in terms she would understand, and would be a lot more fun than just a standard textbook. I've been really impressed so far with the Noeo recommended books. (We're just starting biology using the Noeo Bio I & II books, but not the Noeo schedule. I'm using CPO Life Science as a spine, but that's very textbooky, which you probably don't want.)

Jackie