Menu

Nutrimill vs. Wonder Mill (former Whisper Mill) and other questions

YIPPEE-dh said I can get a grain mill! Now which one? I saw a df's Wonder Mill in action today and thought it looked good. But now I'm researching and see that the Nutrimill is better? I do like that it's more contained into one unit. I've read some of the info on the Web, but wanted to hear from people actually using them. Anyone care to comment on pros/cons of either?

And another question about milling-the df today used a KitchenAid to mix her dough. We knead by hand (no KA :glare:). Will it matter with the freshly milled wheat if we hand knead or is it better machine kneaded?

Thanks!

I have a NutriMill and I LOVE it. A friend has a Whisper Mill and recommended the Nutri becuase of the weird tubing that connects the bin from the grinding unit and becuase the Whisper is annoyingly bulky to store. I love the Nutri. It still sounds like there is a 767 in the kitchen when I grind - but it's fast, effective and easy to clean up. It stores pretty easily, also. I love it and am super happy with my purchase.

I was agonizing over the same decision last month!

The Nutrimill won out because I understood it was newer and so I hoped newer would mean better.

It has been wonderful to work with.

My dd's also use it; it is very use to use and clean. I wish I had bought it sooner

because we are all loving homemade bread.

I have owned both. I used to have a small bakery in our home and I used the Whisper Mill for most of the time. The biggest problem I had with it was if for some reason you had to interup the grinding when the bin still had grain in it the unit would plug big time. I ended up having to send it in twice. I finally did purchase the Nutrimill and never had problems with it. It is much easier to store, clean and in my opinion use. I loved it.

In answer to whether you can make your bread without a machine, yes you can. I taught a friend to make 100% whole wheat bread by hand and she never did purchase a machine.

The yeast you use is very important and the wheat that you get has to be a good high protien wheat.

Hope this helps a little.

If you need to ask more questions pm me. I am happy to help.

We're looking at the very same purchase right now! I can hardly wait...I ground enough WW for one loaf of bread the other day in my BLENDER and it took forever, but the bread was astoudingly amazingly wonderfully delicious!!!! My DH, two little DDs and myself ate an entire life in one sitting.

I haven't done a ton of research on purchasing yet, but I did see that it was $20 off plus free shipping over at Urban Homemaker: http://www.urbanhomemaker.com/productcart/pc/showspecials.asp?pagestyle=p

I own a Whipser Mill. The biggest issue I have had with mine is it clogging up. My dh has taken it apart on more than one occasion to free up the grinding mechanism. I have to be very careful how much I mill at one time especially with the soft pastry wheat berries. They clog mine more than anything else. Also, the mechanism on mine that allows me to determine the coarseness of the flour no longer works.

I have had my Whisper Mill for about 8 years now. If it bit the dust, I would get a Nutrimill.

As for kneading, it makes no difference. I have done it by hand, in a food processor and in a Bosch mixer. If you knead by hand, you really do have to knead it for 10-15 minutes though to get the right texture.

Jennie

I love the Nutri. It still sounds like there is a 767 in the kitchen when I grind -

I bought a NutriMill right before the price of wheat went through the roof so haven't ground as much wheat as I intended. Ugh. I don't know why these companies claim the mills are quiet. They're not. My best bet is to LEAVE THE ROOM during most of the grinding, and I always make my kids leave. (My daughter used to be scared of it.) I have used it to grind rice (if you think grinding wheat is loud....whoa - you haven't seen nothin' yet!), beans and lentils, rye and wheat.

For what it's worth, I bought mine from King Arthur Flour Co. when I got a coupon around the end of the year for 20% off, so even with $20 shipping or whatever, it was cheaper. I also saw a used one once on the Homeschool Classifieds.

Several of my friends have the Nutri Mill and love it, I have the Wondermill and love it. I have never had an issue with clogging. I think either machine is great. I prefer mine because while the Nutrimill is 1 big unit, with the Wondermill when not in use I store the canister on top and it does not take up counter space.