Menu

Just bought a new used car -- and then found that it smells of cigarette smoke - HELP

We love our new used car. It is cute, it is peppy, it gets 40 mpg, and it's fun to drive.

BUT the car dealer masked the smell of the smoke with cleaning smells, so we didn't realize that a smoker had owned the car. We don't want to make a fuss with the dealer -- we are really thrilled with the car.

So what can I do to eliminate/minimize the smoke smell?

(My only idea is keeping the windows open on sunny days.....)

Thanks! I'll try it.

That's certainly not something I would have thought of on my own -- but I can imagine that it works. Now off to the pet store.

Know of any one who has an ozone air purifier? Run that for a couple hours and it's good as new. This is what is used in the hotel business and rental business to get rid of smells. Maybe the car dealer you bought it from has one?

http://www.odorfreemachines.com/?gclid=CLjpnLmO9pkCFQHyDAod_UyZSg

I would start by shampooing everything fabric, and hand washing all surfaces that are plastic/leather to get the grime off. Hand wash the head liner. Cigarettes leave a yellow, oily looking residue behind.

If the smell is there when totally dry. I would use baking soda in the carpet, brushed in, and then vacuumed out. It will be quite a process to get it out, but should be worth it.

You can leave little bags of baking soda under the seat. Tie up little bags made of old nylons or buy the boxes designed for fridge use that have the 'vent' in them.

Air out the car on every occasion.

Try putting some open containers of coffee grounds in the car with the window and doors closed for a couple of days. Should absorb the odor. If some still lingers, you could put a couple of sachets of coffee grounds under the seats and leave them for a while.

~Staci

Don't forget the vent system! Hubs had a car that really only smelled like a smoker's car when you turned on the vent/ a/c / heat. He used an Ozone spray for the rest of the interior which worked great. But we'd still gag when we used the air. He then fired up his air compressor and blew out all the lines. That did the trick. :)