Menu

Has your cell phone ever done anything like this?

The last call I received on my cell phone was two days ago from "Sally".

This evening, I'm standing there talking to Sally, at a baseball game, and my phone starts ringing. I look at it, and it says I'm receiving a call from Sally. I can see her husband standing on one of the fields, and I say, if this is your husband calling, let's walk over there, I'm out of minutes, I don't want to answer. She says, I don't think he's calling. I show her the phone. We walk over to her husband, and he is not calling.

We look closer, and the phone call is originating from their home number.

No one is home, as they and their kids are both at the baseball game, with us.

However, their home is where I received my last phone call---two days ago. I had answered that call by the way.

By the time we figured out how unusual this was, my phone quit ringing, and so we have no idea what happened.

Any ideas? Does this even make sense?

Did Sally by chance set her home phone to forward to yours since she knew you would be at the game? I imagine she would have already told you that, though. Maybe I should vote for the cat theory :D. My hubby is a cellular network engineer...I'll give him a call and see if he has any ideas.

Ginger

Well, dh was rather stumped by this senario, too! He did say that sometimes when a voice mail has been sent, there can be a delay (caused by something known as a delayed message waiting indicator). That can be caused by network congestion, so on extra busy calling days or times like holidays or rush hours, the messages are delivered later than they have actually been sent. So if Sally had left you a voice mail (or even if she called you but you did not answer, your phone would go into voice mail mode), that would be a possible reason for your phone ringing later on to deliver that message to you. If not, he has no idea. :D Thanks for listening to me ramble~

Ginger

The last call I received on my cell phone was two days ago from "Sally".

This evening, I'm standing there talking to Sally, at a baseball game, and my phone starts ringing. I look at it, and it says I'm receiving a call from Sally. I can see her husband standing on one of the fields, and I say, if this is your husband calling, let's walk over there, I'm out of minutes, I don't want to answer. She says, I don't think he's calling. I show her the phone. We walk over to her husband, and he is not calling.

We look closer, and the phone call is originating from their home number.

No one is home, as they and their kids are both at the baseball game, with us.

However, their home is where I received my last phone call---two days ago. I had answered that call by the way.

By the time we figured out how unusual this was, my phone quit ringing, and so we have no idea what happened.

Any ideas? Does this even make sense?

you were spoofed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing

My landline did this for months. Every morning around 4 or 5 am the phone would ring. It would be a different number calling each time. Most of the numbers were telemarketer numbers so of course I did not recognize them. But then there were a couple of numbers that I did recognize: a couple of friends and my sister. None of them had called me at 4 or 5 in the morning. I finally figured out that my phone was somehow redialing calls that had been made to me the previous day. I don't know why. It was a land-line so the telephone company told me to unplug everything (phone jack etc.) and reset it. It hasn't happened since. But I don't know why or how that would happen with a cell phone.