Menu

Look how tiny these babies are!

Otherfolder022.jpg

Yesterday morning, I thought a first freshener had loose ligaments, but It was 7 days until her earliest possible due date, so I went ahead and spent the morning carting human kids all over town.

When I got home, I went straight to check on her. She was lying in the pen chewing her cud, a bag of water in the dirt next to her. I couldn't see any kids, so I rushed her to a stall, and put two fingers in to check for position.

There were no kids in there!

I went back out to the goat pen. There were two little dry doelings in the farthest corner of the woods. They were just standing there, not even crying.

I dipped their navels and cords, and gave them a bottle of colostrum. They drank better than any newborns I've ever fed, but they are just tiny. Their teeth haven't even broken through the gums.

Otherfolder032.jpg

My little dogs just tower over the new kids.

The mom had no interest in them, and I wasn't sure how long they had been out there without colostrum, so I quickly milked out the mom and fed the kids.

Since they are so tiny, I feel better giving them a bottle, because I'm sure that they are being fed.

The mom had no interest in them, and I wasn't sure how long they had been out there without colostrum, so I quickly milked out the mom and fed the kids.

Since they are so tiny, I feel better giving them a bottle, because I'm sure that they are being fed.

Wow, that's mind blowing. If you didn't bottle feed them, would they mom ever show interest at some point, or if she isn't interested in the beginning, will she just never concern herself with them? I wonder what would cause that.

I fantasize about owning goats and chickens someday *sigh* I can live without the uber-productive dairy cow though :lol:

ETA: I love the look on your dog's face, too. She's like, "Would someone please get these weird-looking puppies out of my face???!"

Edited by melissel

I probably could have tried to get the mom interested in nursing them, I was pretty freaked out not knowing how long they had just been left out there.

These babies' grandmother doesn't have much maternal instinct either. You can just see how exasperated she is, as if she is yelling, "Where is the daycare?"

We have one goat that just loves babies, and will let the other mom's babies nurse on her, but she won't let down on the milk stand, because she just wants to save it all for the kids.

I don't mind bottle feeding. It actually seems simpler to me.

They are Nigerian Dwarf dairy goats.

Here is a picture of Miss Bossy showing the babies' grandmother at the Houston Livestock Show.

URL=http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r318/Maroonhound/?action=view&current=redone2.jpg]th_redone2.jpg[/url]