Menu

Have you heard of Sarah Orne Jewett?

Yes. I learned about her when she was a featured author for a year in Victoria magazine about 10-15 years ago. They printed The Country of the Pointed Firs serially during the year. I then bought myself a copy. I just recently gave that book to a friend as a gift. It is such a dear little story - no major upheaval - just a sweet glimpse into life in Maine at the end of the 19th century.

Yes. I learned about her when she was a featured author for a year in Victoria magazine about 10-15 years ago. They printed The Country of the Pointed Firs serially during the year. I then bought myself a copy. I just recently gave that book to a friend as a gift. It is such a dear little story - no major upheaval - just a sweet glimpse into life in Maine at the end of the 19th century.

I don't remember the excerpts very much, but I do remember the little watercolor illustrations with the story. I'll have to look for this.

Victoria also introduced me to the Betsy-Tacy stories by Maud Hart Lovelace.

Perhaps she is better known regionally?

She is considered an American Realist.

Her work appears to be considered feminist these days. Not that it bothers me - I love it either way.

But, I wonder if Jewett wrote it intending it to be feminist.

What do ya'll think?

Well, I'm sure SWB has, but anybody else? I never heard of her before last night. Without Googling, do you know who she is? :001_smile:

OK, I'm going to post this for fun, before I look at the responses.

I think she is an author, I think I read about her in Victoria magazine, and I think she's the person who had a house in South Berwick, Maine, that I used to drive by all the time on my way to Boston and points south.

off to check.....

Ah, see, I have no Maine connection and I don't read Victoria magazine LOL! I've only been in Maine once (and that was just to cross the border so we could say we had been to Maine. It was some town that started with a K.

I was looking for something for my daughter in the children's tapes at the library and saw one called "The White Heron." My dd and I love birds, so I thought, what is that? I went to the computer and saw that there was a book of her stories in the main collection, so I got it out. So far I've read "The White Heron" quickly but I want to read it again. It's interesting how well that story fits in with "Last Child in the Woods" which I am just finishing reading. I think my dd will like them!

Guest Dulcimeramy

I am only familiar with two of her short stories, "The White Heron" and "The Night Before Thanksgiving." Both were included in my Grandpa's old textbook, Literature for the Eighth Grade! I own the textbook now.

You can read "The Night Before Thanksgiving" here.

Maine author. Country of Pointed Firs.

I don't know much about her, honestly, I guess we'll put her on our list of authors to "get to know" I wanted to do a Maine Authors study for my daughter based on this Literary Map of Maine

Just a link for those of you who might be interested. I mean, isn't everyone interesting in MAINE??!!:D

Hey, I just had a look at your link - I didn't know Margaret Wise Brown was from Maine (I grew up in southern Maine)!! And we used to know Bruce MacMillan! I went to school with his son and Bruce bought property from my father. :D I've found lots of his books up here in a library in Canada, too.

And I only learned about Jewett from reading that Victoria article. I saw the picture of the house in the article, and thought, "Hey, I know where that house is!" Next time I drove by, sure enough, there is a sign there indicating it was hers.

The "Library of America" series has a Sarah Orne Jewett volume which includes her novels: Deephaven, A Country Doctor, and The Country of the Pointed Firs, and a selection of 28 stories.

I love the LoA books. They are printed on acid-free paper with sewn bindings, so they will last for generations. And the thin, yet nearly opaque, high quality paper means the publisher can get 4 times the content in one compact volume than if it were printed on plup-paper (of the sort that disintegrates with time).

These editions are a true treasury that our children's children's children could read in the future, in the same fine condition they are in today. They simply won't "self-destruct" the way 98% of modern books (printed on "acid" paper) will.

Sarah Orne Jewett is a very fine writer.

http://www.loa.org/volume.jsp?RequestID=72

Spy Car thanks for that link. I had no idea about Library of America, or how the books are printed...excellent to know!

I'm happy to share this. This really is a wonderful series. I just wish there was an equivalent series for world literature.

One thing I forgot to mention, is that in addition to the "sewn-bindings" making these "real books" which will span the test of time, they also lie flat on the table or in ones lap. One can forget how satisfying it is to not fight to keep a book open, or to fear cracking its spine.

Bill