Menu

Science curriculum with mostly experiments and a little explaination?

bethben

I am looking for a curriculum that explains science through experiments. What I'm not wanting is a curriculum that explains stuff through reading and then throws in an experiment to reinforce the text. Does this make sense? More experiments, less text....is there such a thing? I'm not real good on just going through an experiment book. I need a little bit more structure. I'm a little flighty that way.

Beth

Have you thought about just getting a Janice Van Cleave book and working throught that? They are basically books of experiments with alittle explaination, just enought for you to understand the science at work in the experiment. Each one is organized by topic, such as Biology for Every Kid, Earth Science for every kid and so on. I use them alongside of the Usborne books, but I think that you could let them stand alone for an all experiment type program. You should be able to check them out from your library. Just thought I'd throw a non-curriculum option in there!

The idea of getting Janice Van Cleave books sounds very cost effective to me. I'm using two of her books now. The ideas in her books are great.

I particularly recommend Chemistry for every kid. It makes Chemistry accessible and fun. Her experiments and activities are very practical, and have life applications we can all relate to.

http://www.amazon.com/Janice-VanCleaves-Chemistry-Every-Kid/dp/0471620858

I'm currently leading a mixed group of elementary age kids through an engineering class. One of the most useful experiment kits I invested in was an electronics "snap kit" from Radio Shack. These are too cool! They're well worth the 30 - 150 dollar investment, (your choice), and you can perform 50-400+ meaningful activities/experiments with a kit, depending on which you chose. It's my favorite!

By the way, the engineering approach to Science has brought the kids the most relevant Science I've ever encountered. It's not pie in the sky or abstract, it's concrete, and they get to do it!

I just bought a kit to build a clock. (Only 5 bucks, there's a catch here somewhere!) Gears, a pendulum, and all sorts of wonderful applications of the same. I can't wait to fiddle with this one!

Anyway, experiments and science kits are nice, but usually the best ones are shockingly expensive. A great deal can be learned by taking the "exploring engineering approach". You get to buy a lot of toys, build stuff, blow stuff up, fire stuff off, and generally get messy.

Would it be a strange course of science to take where all I do is the physical/chemistry side of science - the mostly get kids really loving science course? I did like the REAL science chemistry. Are they coming out with physics also? I think my kids would LOVE science if all I did with them were the wow experiments. I guess my goal is for them to love science and think it's great rather than learn a bunch of random facts. They would learn along the way anyhow. Science has been my new "figure this one out". With the first child, you question your path and then when you have that down, you can move on. I've got history,math and spelling down - now the rest of the subjects. Apologia for elementary seemed like the way to go, but there's not enough experiments and too much reading for science to be thought of as fun. I will admit that I like it, my ds somewhat...I will have to ponder this one.

Beth

The Pandia Press REAL Science Odyssey. The books have a one page overview of the topic to read out loud then two or three labs or activities related to the topic. There are also recommended readings to get from the library but the heart of the program are the labs. We have loved Life Science! We just ordered the Earth and Space and expect to get it this week, and when I saw they were selling the Chemistry at a good discount because they were damaged I ordered that too. They have great samples on their website so you can read through and do a few weeks to see if it is what you want. I think they will be coming out with Physics by next year or so so we hope to do all four for our elementary science years.