Menu

Those who used/are using R&S english..will you or did you stop after the 7th book...

We used R&S 8 a few days a week last year. For my next child, I'll probably use it again but only for Grammar and not the writing. This year (9th) dd is using another writing program and is really enjoying it and learning so much that she wishes that she had started it much earlier.

My dd, 9th grade this year, is working through the Analytical Grammar High School Reinforcement book. It is great review - with one lesson every 2 weeks (just enough to keep it fresh). I had one of the Rod and Staff 9/10 books - and planned to use it - but it REALLY WAS overkill. We plan to continue the AG books through high school - keeping the focus on writing.

http://www.analyticalgrammar.com/

Denise in NE

Did you "do" the regular AG program before doing the High school review worksheets? Or did you do R&S through 8 and then just switch to the AG high school review sheets? We are doing R&S, and I really don't want to jump ship, but I didn't know if the AG review sheets could be done without having done the full-fledged AG program itself.

Thanks!

• 7 months later...

DS did R&S grammar for 6th & 7th grade. We tried work through R&S 8th grade book but it just was way too much for us. We focused instead on writing. This year he is taking his younger brother through R&S 7th grade grammar and getting a wonderful grammar review in the process.

Carole

DD starts 9th grade next year. I'm planning on using book 8 a couple of times a week throughout high school just to keep dd from forgetting her grammar, but also to allow more time for writing. That's the plan anyway. I can see grammar being the subject that falls off the schedule. :)

Cathy

My dd is 8th grade this year also.

My oldest finished book 9/10, but with the rest we just go through book 8. I feel 9/10 is way over-kill and not necessary. We concentrate on writing and lit after book 8.

Same here. We stop after book 8 and focus exclusively on writing. We use a writing program that constantly reviews grammar skills.

DS did R&S grammar for 6th & 7th grade. We tried work through R&S 8th grade book but it just was way too much for us. We focused instead on writing. This year he is taking his younger brother through R&S 7th grade grammar and getting a wonderful grammar review in the process.

Carole

What a great idea, Carole!

We used R&S 8 a few days a week last year. For my next child, I'll probably use it again but only for Grammar and not the writing. This year (9th) dd is using another writing program and is really enjoying it and learning so much that she wishes that she had started it much earlier.

What writing program are you using? I'm intrigued.

Cindy in Indy

we are 3/4 of the way through R&S 7 and are planing to stop after it is finished. we will then move onto a writing program. we will be starting Henle Latin. and I think that the grammar of Latin will reinforce the grammar he has learned from R&S.

I just can't stomach any more grammar. I find it to be a bit of overkill.