Menu

Quick help needed. What to do about mildew-y laundry (yup, my fault).

So I let a couple of loads sit longer than I should have. I think what happened is that someone in the house took one load out before it was completely dry and I let it it for a couple of days. Then the other load sat in the dryer, almost completely dry, or another couple of days.

I tried washing them again, but they still smell toxic. Should I just throw it all out (ouch), or is there anything I can do at this point to remedy it?

I've GOT to talk to dh about fixing the dryer, though. An hour should be more than enough time to dry a load.

Thanks!

So I let a couple of loads sit longer than I should have. I think what happened is that someone in the house took one load out before it was completely dry and I let it it for a couple of days. Then the other load sat in the dryer, almost completely dry, or another couple of days.

I tried washing them again, but they still smell toxic. Should I just throw it all out (ouch), or is there anything I can do at this point to remedy it?

I've GOT to talk to dh about fixing the dryer, though. An hour should be more than enough time to dry a load.

Thanks!

Bbeen there done that, matter of fact, a few times. Actually in the summer, I can't let clothing sit over night in the wash.

If they aren't to bad, just a slight smell & not any growth, I'd rewash them & use vinegar in the rinse. Your clothing will NOT smell like vinegar.

Bbeen there done that, matter of fact, a few times. Actually in the summer, I can't let clothing sit over night in the wash.

If they aren't to bad, just a slight smell & not any growth, I'd rewash them & use vinegar in the rinse. Your clothing will NOT smell like vinegar.

:iagree: This is what I was going to say.

I second the Pine Sol recommendation.

I've also found that allowing everything to air dry, then rewashing really helps. I've even tossed a load of wash out on the trampoline to let the sun and fresh air do it's thing before rewashing.

Good luck!

I have never tried the vinegar for mildew, but will if it ever happens. I do know one thing that did work for me in the same situation was Spray N' Wash with Oxy (it is a double-barreled container with pink on one side and clear on the other). I let it sit for a few hours (not overnight because it might harm the color) and then washed it again as usual.

Jennifer

I put in laundry detergent, oxy-clean, vinegar and a little Pine-Sol for good luck. roflolol

I let it agitate for a few minutes and let sit for an hour (didn't have all day to let it sit 'cause I had three loads of nastiness plus regular laundry to do).

The results?

Much better. Perfect? No! ;) A few things have an ever-so-slightly reminant of a smell. Slightly. But most things are back to normal. Who'da thought that it could be remedied? It stunk!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm so thankful to have that stinky job over with.