Menu

Fin aid letter came today--may I ask for prayers?

Ms. Riding Hood

Ds got his financial aid letter from MIT today and it was far worse than anything we had been able to prepare ourselves for. It amounts to $875 per semester of student work--that's $1750...out of $52,000. That's it.

We might have been able to swing at least half of the $52,000 through loans, but there is no way we could or WOULD consider burdening ds with over $200,000 in loans. Ds is very discouraged, sad, angry--not at us, but with the system.

I just ask that if you have a moment, you might say a prayer. Not for miraculous funding, but that we will have wisdom and that ds will see God's love and providence for him...no matter how this situation ends up.

I mentioned on the HS board that we've been reading The Hiding Place. It's been the exact preface that we needed to this bit of news. God is faithful and will always provide; just not necessarily as we expect. But what a difficult lesson to learn. It's always easier to practice our faith when things go as we wish, isn't it?

Thank you so much for sharing in our journey.

here for you and your family. I do suggest, though, that you have your son call up the Financial Aid office and ask if they will take another look at his aid offer. Explain any special circumstances that you have. It might not help, but at least he can see that he tried to make it work and they will hear how upset he is that he can't afford the school.

This whole aid thing is so hard. My son got his last acceptance this past week, and it was one of his favorites, but they didn't give him much either. He was kind of down, but we're trying to work with him to talk up some of the other, more affordable choices.

Throughout this whole process, I've been praying that God will direct my son to the right school for him and that he will help us be able to pay for it. I'm just trying to take solace in the fact that perhaps God knows best that the school that didn't give my son much aid just wasn't the right place for him.

I know it's hard to let go of a dream, but if your son is talented enough to get into MIT, then he will probably do really well wherever he goes. If he ends up in graduate school later, he may just have another shot at MIT then, and it would be more prestigious to get an MIT graduate degree than and bachelor's degree.

So sorry to hear your news.

Brenda

Edited by Brenda in MA

I mentioned on the HS board that we've been reading The Hiding Place. It's been the exact preface that we needed to this bit of news. God is faithful and will always provide; just not necessarily as we expect. But what a difficult lesson to learn. It's always easier to practice our faith when things go as we wish, isn't it?

Isn't that the truth:001_smile:We have been having a difficult time here lately, but I want things to be easy and nice and well, happy! (all the time, thank you, stomping feet!) But I don't always take into account what God is doing...and that came to mind as I was listening to our Casting Crowns cd...

Fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense

Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle

With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is

But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle

Praying that God's plans for your ds will be evident and that your peace will be full:grouphug:

:grouphug:

I'm so sorry to hear that...just got back from putting ds on the plane back to Boston. I told him that another homeschool boy and WTM'er had been accepted this year, and he was happy to hear that.

Please DO call the Fin Aid office on Monday! They have always been most kind and straightforward to work with.

Meanwhile I will be praying hard for you and your son,

Kathy

Yes, we plan to do that. They have been very cordial in our past phone calls, but I suppose we just don't think that much will change. Then again, maybe some critical piece of information is missing? I keep thinking that there must have been a mistake. Haha--guess that's what most people probably think when they get their letter.

Everyone's prayers, "hugs" and kind words really mean so much. Thank you!

Well, I'll be praying for a miracle for you guys this week!

If they manage to sweeten the offer a bit, I know ways to cut costs there... ds got the least expensive double room, cooks his own food, buys most of his books used from upperclassmen, etc... he easily covers all his food, books, and entertainment costs with his campus employment. We come in a lot under that 50,000+ estimate that way.

Kathy

My son got a similar letter from Lehigh years ago. At the time, the school cost about $44K, and the "aid" they gave my son amounted to under $1K per year. Meanwhile, he got his letter from his school of choice, where the tuition was slightly higher, and they gave him a 1/2 tuition grant.

My 16-yr old is starting to get a little nervous, because all the schools he's interested in are in the $44K+ price range. Without significant aid, it's not happening. I think his best bet is to interview and apply to a good number of schools and hope for the best.

Good luck calling the financial aid office. I hope they'll realize that this kid really wants to go there, and that they'll make more of an effort to see that he can attend.

Ria

Edited by Ria

Our ds is desperate to go to Drexel and his aid offer there is rather lower than we had hoped for. When I called the aid office to ask about the process they really encouraged me to have ds file an appeal for more help. The young man I spoke with said there are not any guarantees of course, but that it can't hurt to ask. I'd encourage you to try the same....as someone else said, it can't hurt to let them know how much he wants to come to their school and so on. They said we should include applicable financial info and show cost comparisons for comparable schools that are less expensive....we are going to try.

Hope your call today goes well.....

There should be some way to appeal. When I was admitted (not to MIT, but to a different well-endowed school), my financial aid offer included the family farm as an asset. When I appealed and wrote that we couldn't just sell off part of the farm as someone else might be able to sell off part of their stock portfolio, they increased the offer to a reasonable amount.

Ds got his financial aid letter from MIT today and it was far worse than anything we had been able to prepare ourselves for. It amounts to $875 per semester of student work--that's $1750...out of $52,000. That's it.

We might have been able to swing at least half of the $52,000 through loans, but there is no way we could or WOULD consider burdening ds with over $200,000 in loans. Ds is very discouraged, sad, angry--not at us, but with the system.

I just ask that if you have a moment, you might say a prayer. Not for miraculous funding, but that we will have wisdom and that ds will see God's love and providence for him...no matter how this situation ends up.

Does the school offer testing for merit scholarships? Taz did this at his 1st & 3rd choice schools, and was awarded additional money based on his scores. I would have your son call and ask.

MIT does not do merit based aid of any kind. Only need based.

From their website:

What is MIT’s financial aid and scholarship policy?

* We recruit and enroll the most talented and promising students without regard to their financial circumstances.

* We award our undergraduate aid on the basis of financial need, and we do not provide undergraduate scholarships based on any non-financial criteria (such as academic or athletic achievements).

* We guarantee that each student’s demonstrated financial need is fully met for all four years.

And a link for those who want to read for themselves... I copied from the fifth question on the list.

http://web.mit.edu/sfs/faq/index.html

I hope the Original Poster is hearing good news, but this doesn't look promising.

Several elite schools offer little or no aid.

At Harvard there are no academic, athletic or merit-based awards. (If you google "Harvard + merit aid" you get several links to Harvard's various websites that say this.)

At MIT "there are no academic, athletic or merit-based awards" (quote from Dean for Undergraduate Education Daniel Hastings.

Ds is very discouraged, sad, angry--not at us, but with the system.

Offering up a prayer for you - how horribly disappointing! It seems like the system has broken down when the cost of an undergraduate degree has become practically out-of-reach for many people in the middle class. Even more painful to have what it takes to get into MIT and not be able to close the $$ gap. We're experiencing the same problem - child #1 (of 7) had very high SAT scores and has been offered presidential scholarships to 2 selective private colleges. But he's not considered eligible for any financial aid except the federal student loan ($5500/yr). With that, the gap is still over $19,000, with no way to close it. The tuition for state college is only about 1/5 that cost. There was a time when students could cover the cost of an undergraduate degree at a private college by taking out a student loan, a part-time job, and perhaps a grant or scholarship. Not any more.