Menu

I'm getting frustrated by the cost of curriculum.

mazakaal

I'm not upset about the cost of any particular curriculum. I know the authors are just trying to make a living. I just thought that our costs would go down as time went on. I guess I was naive. So many of the curriculum choices that I made early on were based on the idea that I could buy once and re-use for future children. But so many of those I've ended up deciding I don't like, so I'm having to find new curriculum that I like better for the youngers.

Like Spelling Power - I thought, "$50 is a lot of money, but spread out over 12 years and 4dc, it's worth it." We made it a few years with SP and then switched to SW. Rod & Staff grammar - same thing - I liked that they were non-consumable. But we did so much orally that it took ages and have not switched to GWG. Same with Prima Latina and Latina Christiana - after using these with my oldest and starting with my 2nd, I just couldn't take them any more. I've switched to LP and LL. Same with pretty much everything I did for science the first few years.

I've got some keepers - like SOTW and Apologia science and Singapore math, but now with 4dc to buy curriculum for, I'm looking at spending about $1200 next year. I've seen this slowly creep up over the years. I know this is way less than I'd be spending on private school and probably even less than public school uniforms and field trips, but I'm frustrated nonetheless.

aaargh!

And my news is not good.

The high school level texts will run you even more.

But that is nothing at all compared to college. My oldest is taking one class at community college. The text book was $120 and the lab manual (about 40 sheets of paper, copied and bound at staples) was $40. That was a shocker!

The only thing I've found that helps is checking out the used book sales at your state convention, searching on-line for used materials, and swapping with friends for non-consumables. Oh, and there are some good materials at the library and on-line.

Larissa

homeschooling 5 in NJ

I hear ya! We are at about $800 already. I am switching to MFW, that is a big bite of the budget. I am switching to R&S because Abeka is costing way too much even though I really love them. It has been the best fit for us, by far, for grammar and math. :crying: But when you compare R&S for $40 or less to Abeka's wopping $100 per subject:confused:, I won't be happy unless I at least try the cheaper! Not to mention that hubby is starting to get antsy! Oh, and don't even get me started on the fact that 2 of my kids do well learning one way and the other 2 learn the opposite way. Which means that I might have to find some other option of curriculum for those who are struggling with workbooks! I buy used when I can. New if I have to, and pray the rest of the way!

I was thinking this same thing this morning. I have gone through ALL my books over the past week. My goal was to see what I already had, what I needed and what I could substitute. I have been forced to make some changes due to the high cost of the books and shipping added on top.

I hear you about long haul curriculums. I thought SWR would be the end all for us - and it wasnt.

My best idea currently is to find a curriculum I can adapt to multiple ages.

I dont even want to think about high school! Oy!!!$$

Are there used bookstores, library sales, used curriculum sales, or yard sales where you live? I have found a number of WTM-board-recommended, high-school-level texts at dirt cheap prices through these means - usually about $1-3 each. If you don't have those options, is there a UK used-curriculum website where you could purchase things for less?

Agreeing with Larissa! What has helped cut our costs: I stopped trying to look so far ahead and buying so far ahead -- and then ending up not using the curriculum or books and having to resell at a loss! :( Now, I plan in the spring for the following school year, and look to save money in a variety of ways:

* borrow

* trade

* library

* substitute -- some living books at the library are equally as good as those required for a specific curriculum

* search for free online worksheets, research resources, online tutorials, etc.

* buy used where possible (e.g.: used SL IG's from 2001-05 are just as good, and a fraction of the price!)

* when buying new, especially if just using for 1 year, I buy the newest edition to be able to resell for as much as possible

* resell as much as possible as soon as I know we really are done with it, so I can get the best price for it

Most of all, I look on this as investing in our children's future! You just can't put a price tag on that. :)

The only thing I've found that helps is checking out the used book sales at your state convention, searching on-line for used materials, and swapping with friends for non-consumables. Oh, and there are some good materials at the library and on-line.

Well, I live in England, so there are no conventions, all the homeschoolers I know locally either are unschoolers or use ACE, and the libraries are not good. I do try to find materials used on-line and use on-line resources when I can.

I know that $1200 seems like a chunk of change, but when you think about it, $300 per kids is very reasonable.

One thing you could do is stagger your courses so that you don't start everything at the same time. For example, your math year may started in January, your science year in March, your history year in June, etc. That lets you spread your purchases out over the year instead of plunking it all down at once.

Tara

I know that $1200 seems like a chunk of change, but when you think about it, $300 per kids is very reasonable.

One thing you could do is stagger your courses so that you don't start everything at the same time. For example, your math year may started in January, your science year in March, your history year in June, etc. That lets you spread your purchases out over the year instead of plunking it all down at once.

Tara

:iagree:When you add it all up it's mind blowing sometimes. I have one and spend at least $600-700 for him. Mix in my self-ed and I spend at least $1000 a year. One thing I started earlier this year was asking dh for a monthly homeschool budget. That way I can spread most of the expense out over the year. I still did a large chuck of buying at one time and will need to do one more small one later this spring. But those smaller items and misc things I can buy throughout the year.

Hey Megan,

Don't know if this helps, BUT, (depending on grade and where the school is located) public schools in the U.S. spend between $5000-$10,000 on EACH student PER YEAR! That's gotta make you feel a little better in your educational budgeting and spending! :hat: <-- [you, successfully wearing the $-4-ED hat]

:tongue_smilie: Lori

Tara

Well, because we live in England I have all my hs resources shipped to a church group that visits us every summer. So it all has to come at the same time. What would be really smart would be starting to order early to spread out the cost, but we rarely have the money spare. Good idea, though.

Hey Megan,

Don't know if this helps, BUT, (depending on grade and where the school is located) public schools in the U.S. spend between $5000-$10,000 on EACH student PER YEAR! That's gotta make you feel a little better in your educational budgeting and spending! :hat: <-- [you, successfully wearing the $-4-ED hat]

:tongue_smilie: Lori

Yes. I remember reading a while ago that the school district where we came from in Florida spent over $7000 per student. What I could do with $28,000 right now!

You can't really compare your home schooling budget to the state's budget. Here in Oregon, 86% of the education budget goes to labor costs. I'm not sure how much of the remaining 14% goes to materials, but my guess is not all of it. Maybe not much of it. None of my home school budget goes to salary or benefits (I'm cheap labor). It's quite possible that my $500 per student budget for books is more than what is spent in the public schools. Oh, and I think you're doing a great job educating 4 kids for $1200.

You can't really compare your home schooling budget to the state's budget. Here in Oregon, 86% of the education budget goes to labor costs. I'm not sure how much of the remaining 14% goes to materials, but my guess is not all of it. Maybe not much of it. None of my home school budget goes to salary or benefits (I'm cheap labor). It's quite possible that my $500 per student budget for books is more than what is spent in the public schools. Oh, and I think you're doing a great job educating 4 kids for $1200.

I know. They obviously have to pay salaries, upkeep on the building, etc. It's just fun to think about. I could never spend $28,000 on curriculum, but playground equipment, sports equipment, field trips, science lab equipment, quality dvd's, more books - fun reads and reference.

You may already know this, but check www.homeschoolclassifieds.com for non-consummable parts of curriculum, even consummable sometimes. Amazon.com is always a place to check because of deep discounts and even used books. For reading, always try (new & used) www.addall.com before purchasing retail (it searches thousands of dealers). www.half.com is worth a try as well, as is

www.vegsource.com/homeschool I almost never

purchase new at full retail. On the average, I pay only 50% - 75% of the cost, new. Many times even better than that.

Also, if there is a yahoogroup that supports the use of a certain curriculum you can usually find those materials, used, for sale on that board. Some have a separate group for that purpose alone. IEW, RS, are good examples.

best wishes,

Geo

Are there used bookstores, library sales, used curriculum sales, or yard sales where you live? I have found a number of WTM-board-recommended, high-school-level texts at dirt cheap prices through these means - usually about $1-3 each. If you don't have those options, is there a UK used-curriculum website where you could purchase things for less?

There aren't a lot of quality books at the used bookstores and library sales. There are no used curriculum sales here. And there are no yard sales, though there are car boot sales which are similar, but I don't really go to those. You actually have to pay to get in. I have a hard time paying to get into a sale for used stuff. I've never found a UK used curriculum website. Maybe I'll try a google search for that.

You may already know this, but check www.homeschoolclassifieds.com for non-consummable parts of curriculum, even consummable sometimes. Amazon.com is always a place to check because of deep discounts and even used books. For reading, always try (new & used) www.addall.com before purchasing retail (it searches thousands of dealers). www.half.com is worth a try as well, as is

www.vegsource.com/homeschool I almost never

purchase new at full retail. On the average, I pay only 50% - 75% of the cost, new. Many times even better than that.

Also, if there is a yahoogroup that supports the use of a certain curriculum you can usually find those materials, used, for sale on that board. Some have a separate group for that purpose alone. IEW, RS, are good examples.

best wishes,

Geo

These are some great websites. Thanks. I used to buy a lot from half.com but had completely forgotten about it. I try to buy what I can used through the WTM for sale board, but I'll look at these other sites, too. Thanks.