Menu

Preschool open and go?

3Rivers

[i realized after I wrote it that I'm not really looking for "open and go" but rather more of a reference book, idea book, activity or craft book.]

Our preschool year is slipping by us so quickly. I have done various things with my little guy, but I'm looking for a book of hands-on projects and crafts to finish out the year with. Any suggestions?

I bought Before Five in a Row but I'm not thrilled with it. A lot of it seems like things you just naturally do with a child when you read a book rather than things you actually plan. My son loves projects and art and things to do that he can display and be proud of. I just don't "get" the whole BFIAR ideas of "go outside and make some mud". My kids do that already and it seems silly to me to read "Going on a Bear Hunt" and then go find mud to squish in. Fun, but really I don't need a book to TELL me to do that, KWIM? Or read the book "Corduroy" and then look for a chance to go ride an escalator. Huh? That just doesn't work for me I guess. To me it is trying to create an experience with things that are best done as they just come up. I think I would rather just enjoy the stories rather than making them become part of something else.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions. This is my last preschooler, :crying: so I want to have some fun and do some things with him that make him smile. He also wants a "scrapbook" like his older siblings had in preschool that shows off all the cool things he did and made. So I need some cool "scrapbooking" moments, projects, crafts...etc. and preferably ALL in ONE or TWO books! So that I can quit searching the internet! LOL

:bigear:

Jamie

Edited by 3Rivers
mis-named

I just reserved this at our library, so I haven't actually seen it in person yet, but maybe you could try The instant curriculum : over 750 developmentally appropriate learning activities for busy teachers of young children.

Here's a link to it as a Google book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=7UBWOi_SGR8C&dq=The+instant+curriculum+:+over+750+developmentally+appropriate+learning+activities+for+busy+teachers+of+young+children&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=nDy780oAx8&sig=u24e73M6qU2PP8tuRIslQ7bViqs&hl=en&ei=Z37BSYrcKYSPmQfP7qmjDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA1,M1

The preview shows quite a few pages, so maybe seeing it that way would be enough!

I have felt the same way about B4FIAR and was pretty frustrated, but recently I found the website homeschoolshare.com. It is dedicated to FIAR and unit studies and has ideas for each book. It has been very helpful for me to "beef up" what the guide suggests. HTH:001_smile:

I don't know if you have ever seen Queen Language Lessons, but my 4 year old just LOVES Language Lessons for Little Ones. I know it is supposed to be for language, but really it is more "artsy" at this age and allows them a lot of pretend play along with thinking skills.

She has drawn lots of pictures to go with the lessons (inside the book) and it has made a really beautiful book of memories. Yesterday she drew herself swinging on our tree swing as part of her lesson.She adores the picture study, telling stories about the pictures, and the poems.

It is a workbook, but much prettier and definitely more creative. She decorates each lesson with stickers.

I don't know if you have ever seen Queen Language Lessons, but my 4 year old just LOVES Language Lessons for Little Ones. I know it is supposed to be for language, but really it is more "artsy" at this age and allows them a lot of pretend play along with thinking skills.

She has drawn lots of pictures to go with the lessons (inside the book) and it has made a really beautiful book of memories. Yesterday she drew herself swinging on our tree swing as part of her lesson.She adores the picture study, telling stories about the pictures, and the poems.

It is a workbook, but much prettier and definitely more creative. She decorates each lesson with stickers.

My dd loves this too!

I just reserved this at our library, so I haven't actually seen it in person yet, but maybe you could try The instant curriculum : over 750 developmentally appropriate learning activities for busy teachers of young children.

Here's a link to it as a Google book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=7UBWOi_SGR8C&dq=The+instant+curriculum+:+over+750+developmentally+appropriate+learning+activities+for+busy+teachers+of+young+children&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=nDy780oAx8&sig=u24e73M6qU2PP8tuRIslQ7bViqs&hl=en&ei=Z37BSYrcKYSPmQfP7qmjDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA1,M1

The preview shows quite a few pages, so maybe seeing it that way would be enough!

Preschool Plus uses that book as part of the program. I'm thinking of using this one. It has a ton of reading, which is important since we already read at least 3 short books a day. It is mainly secular, although it has a reading from "blessings every day" (not sure of the title) but we will be leaving that out.

eta- there is a Christian appendix you can purchase to go with the program for those that want to include Bible curriculum.

Edited by sarahli

Fun With the Alphabet by Evan Moore.

It provides a coloring page, a recipe, a story, a craft project, and other ideas for each letter of the alphabet.

The lines for handwriting are too small, IMO, so we didn't do those, but the rest was a lot of fun. Most of the craft projects require only construction paper and a glue stick, so they are easy to make (I cut all of the parts in advance, because my dc weren't ready for all of the cutting when they were in preschool). We hung them on bedroom doors and closet doors all over the house and left them up for about a year - they were very, very cute projects!