Menu

Spanish for pre-K to lower elementary with DVDs?

Does anyone know of Spanish curriculum for young children, pre-K or K to lower elementary grades that also includes DVD(s)? I've looked at La Clase Divertida, so that's an option. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for, but want more choices.

I looked at Flip Flop Spanish, but it doesn't have a DVD, just CD.

Any other good ones out there, whether it's a DVD or CD? I'd rather not do computer software.

We're using Puertas Abiertas this year. We really like it and it really is worth the $135, although look for a free shipping deal from CBD before you order :D. I like that it covers quite a bit of material, but you can do it in 15 minutes a day. There are worksheets, but you can do them orally. There's really no prep to this program and no craft projects if that's not your thing. The presenters are a non-native speaker "Profesora" and Pepe Tropical who speaks with a Central American accent. Even the non-native speaker has very good pronunciation. My dh teases me that I sound like her and sort of look like her too. I did look at Clase Divertida, but I didn't like the annoying bird used in the culture studies segment and I knew that the crafts would be a roadblock for me to move forward with the program. If there is no PA 2 out next year I think I'll use Flip-Flop, but PA 2 would be my first choice because PA1 is going so well.

La Clase Divertida would be another option. I don't know how it compares to Puertas Abiertas. La Clase Divertida is in the same price range. I think you can get it a little cheaper from Rainbow Resource or maybe CBD. It has a CD that you listen to and DVD's with all of the lessons. My daughter loves it and it is very appropriate for young learners.

Suzanne

We're using Puertas Abiertas this year.
We loved Puertas Abiertas; it's obvious that both "Pepe" and "La Profesora" have a great deal of experience teaching young children. The kids still talk about the time Pepe put on a dress.

Thanks for the ideas. If anyone has another program to add, I'd appreciate it.

So far there's:

La Clase Divertida (DVDs, CDs, workbooks, worksheets, TM, crafts) $110 (I saw it about a week ago for $85, but it went back up) http://www.funclase.com/Level_1.html

Puertas Abiertas (DVDs, CDs, facilitator's guide, workbook) $135 (or $77 at CBD for VHS & cassettes) http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=4868525&showprevnext=1

Flip Flop Spanish (workbook & CD, no video/DVD) $24 http://www.flipfloplearning.com/flip_flop_spanish_workbooks/

Muzzy (DVDs, CD, storybook, parent welcome DVD, Muzzy doll & software) $199 http://www.early-advantage.com/product/detail/Muzzy20thAnniversary.aspx

I'll have to check my library too to see what they have.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Someone recently posted that if you have the Dish network, you can see Elementary Spanish for free on the University House channel. They're now airing the last parts of the unit and I'm going to start recording them when they start again fresh on Unit 1, lesson 1. They run their 1/2, 3/4, and 5/6 grade level lessons concurrently. I've let the kids watch a few and they just LOVE them. Plus they're free. So, then I started digging around and found out that they were produced by Northern Arizona University and they have a site where they sell the dvds and workbooks to go with them. Here it is. I will probably check out the workbook but since I can record for free, I'll pass on the dvds, as they are quite pricey.

http://www4.nau.edu/esp/EShome.html

Cosmeo has the episodes and you can get a free trial to preview to see if they're right for you. Funny thing is that Cosmeo has a woman instructing and the one running on the Dish has a male teacher. Odd. I actually prefer the one on tv over the Cosmeo version. I don't know who is on the dvds.

http://www.cosmeo.com/videoTitle.cfm?&nodeid=&guidAssetId=1DCFCEE8-1AFF-4974-A1A1-1D1BBA607376

You could theoretically subscribe and watch them that way but, same as you, I would prefer the curriculum to be off the computer. I actually have RS Spanish for free through my husband's work and I will let them do that. The videos will be as an enjoyable supplement.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Someone recently posted that if you have the Dish network, you can see Elementary Spanish for free on the University House channel. They're now airing the last parts of the unit and I'm going to start recording them when they start again fresh on Unit 1, lesson 1. They run their 1/2, 3/4, and 5/6 grade level lessons concurrently. I've let the kids watch a few and they just LOVE them. Plus they're free. So, then I started digging around and found out that they were produced by Northern Arizona University and they have a site where they sell the dvds and workbooks to go with them. Here it is. I will probably check out the workbook but since I can record for free, I'll pass on the dvds, as they are quite pricey.

http://www4.nau.edu/esp/EShome.html

Thanks. I checked it out. We don't have Dish network, and the dvds are expensive! The unit 1-5 set is $99 and the workbook is $25. And if I understand it right, NAU doesn't ship these until August.

I'd rather get La Clase Divertida or Puertas Abiertas, since the prices for those are comparable, and I'd get more. We'll see. Need a little more research, then talk dh into it.

We loved Puertas Abiertas; it's obvious that both "Pepe" and "La Profesora" have a great deal of experience teaching young children. The kids still talk about the time Pepe put on a dress.

To what level does this program get the child?

Also, is this actually appropriate for age 3? And how long does this program take to complete at a comfortable rate?

You can also get the Elementary Spanish program with a subscription to Discovery Streaming. Through the Homeschool Buyers Co-op you can get the basic subscription for $136 or the Plus version for $176. We chose this route rather than Puertas Abiertas b/c with the basic subscription you are paying the same as with PA but you also have the benefit of 1000's of other educational videos right there! We have used ES Spanish program for 2 years now and have been very happy with it and my ds7 has learned so incredibly much!!! I even have a degree in Spanish but just have to "outsource" something or my younger 2 might never get any mommy time! ;)

Here is a link to the Homeschool Buyers Co-op Group Buys page. Information for the Plus subscription is towards the top and for the Basic is way down towards the bottom. You can go to the Discovery Streaming site and sign up for a 30 day free trial. We just have the basic version but have been very happy with all that is offered on it!

In the ES program there are 10 Units for 1/2 grade and 10 units for 3/4 grade. Each unit has 10 lessons. There is a worksheet to accompany each lesson as well. There is a Teacher's Manual you can download that has not only these worksheets but materials to make a bulletin board for each unit if you choose to do so. We school four days a week and do ES T/Th and play other Spanish games we own on M/W.

Here is a link to 2 different blog posts I've done about other Spanish games that are out there.

Hth,

Guest Alte Veste Academy
There is a Teacher's Manual you can download that has not only these worksheets but materials to make a bulletin board for each unit if you choose to do so. We school four days a week and do ES T/Th and play other Spanish games we own on M/W.

Jennefer,

Do you happen to have a link for downloading the ES materials? I could only find a link to purchase them but downloading sure does sound nicer! :001_smile:

La Clase Divertida would be another option. I don't know how it compares to Puertas Abiertas. La Clase Divertida is in the same price range. I think you can get it a little cheaper from Rainbow Resource or maybe CBD. It has a CD that you listen to and DVD's with all of the lessons. My daughter loves it and it is very appropriate for young learners.

Suzanne

:iagree:

Jennefer,

Do you happen to have a link for downloading the ES materials? I could only find a link to purchase them but downloading sure does sound nicer! :001_smile:

Do you already have a subscription to DS? I am pretty sure you can't download the Teacher Manual without a subscription. If you do, just chose the lesson you want to watch. Then once that lesson comes up look in the bottom right-hand corner of the page (you'll have to scroll all the way down). It says "Teacher's Guide" and it's a PDF file. You just click and it opens right up. The TM comes a unit at a time so if you are on Unit 10 Lesson 1 and you click on Teacher's Guide you will get the lessons for all of Unit 10. Before the year starts I just print all of the units we will cover that year, 3-hole punch them, stick them in a binder and we're ready to go!

Hope that helps! If you do have a subscription to DS and you are not able to download them still I would call their customer help line and ask for the homeschool dept. They are extremely helpful in my experience. If you are in one of the states that gets DS free that may be why??? I have the basic package so I know that you don't have to have the Plus version to have access to the Teacher's Manual.

Good luck!

Is this internet stuff? I don't want to do Spanish on the computer. That's why I'm looking for a DVD/CD/workbook-type combo.

Yes, it is internet. I am sorry. I made a wrong assumption that by DVD you meant a video-based program. Elementary Spanish is video based but not DVD. Your kids would be watching on a computer screen.

I apologize. :blush:

Yes, it is internet. I am sorry. I made a wrong assumption that by DVD you meant a video-based program. Elementary Spanish is video based but not DVD. Your kids would be watching on a computer screen.

I apologize. :blush:

You can watch it over your TV if somebody in your family knows how to make that happen. It's no different than watching a TV show or a DVD.

We are currently using the Salsa Spanish progam. We watch the videos on the internet, but if you live in Georgia they are on the PBS channel. They include free lesson plans. They do have the DVD's for sale, but they are really really expensive.

We are on week 5 now, and it is going very well. We are learning between 6-12 words per week.

That's ok. I'm sure it'll help someone!

Don't give up on Elementary Spanish yet! If you go to the link that Alte Veste provided, you can PURCHASE the dvds for this program for $100/50 (a year's worth). The accompanying workbook is $25. I have watched the first few episodes, and they are outstanding!

Tara