Menu

Greek -- Koine, Attic, New Testament??

mo2

There are two schools of thought as far as I can tell 1. learn the more difficult Attic and you'll be able to read Koine, but if you choose Koine you'll have to study Attic too if you want to read the Athenians. 2. Start simply with Koine, Attic will be easier to learn.

Yup, we're going with Koine because it's enough of a challenge to learn. My highest goal for my daughter is to be fluent with her Greek and be able to read as my father does...straight from it at church and other studies. She's learning Latin now, will learn Greek starting next year, and I hope to add Hebrew (Ancient??) by 10th grade....probably just getting her started enough that if she likes it, she can continue with Hebrew through college.

Carrie:-)

:iagree: It is easier to learn Koine and then Attic; I studied Koine for two years in college and have just dabbled in some Attic texts for fun; I didn't have a problem with the differences between the two. It was good (for me) to be able to "cut my teeth" on Koine and then be able to really chew on Attic. I plan on using this progression with with my own children when they are able (and willing. . .).

Close, but not quite. Attic is also OLDER than Koine. It's separated by time as well as space. :-)

Homeric Greek also has some materials. It's another level harder than Attic.

There is a grammatical simplification between Homeric and Attic and Attic and Koine. There's also a difference in vocabulary, though a knowledge of an older vocab is mostly usable for later version of Greek.

Koine is the only version you'll find lots of homeschool-friendly materials for, especially if you're looking for products suited to elementary or middle school aged children.

If you're working with late middle or high schoolers and have some knowledge of the language yourself or are willing and able to hire a tutor, then a whole world of instructional texts are available to you: Homeric, Attic, or Koine.

HTH

One of my goals is for my dc to be able to read the New Testament in Greek; Koine is the best choice for that. As an added benefit, they will also learn the roots of many word in the English language; this is also a goal for us.

Reading classic literature in the original language is not one of my primary goals for them. If they decide to pursue this later, knowing Koine Greek will provide them with a foundation that will allow them to take their studies further on their own.

No one said it wasn't. :confused:

No one was speaking true Attic Greek when Koine was dominant.

Also, common people in Attica spoke Attic Greek.

What you wrote was a bit like saying that the different from French and Latin is that Latin was a scholarly language from Rome, while French was spoken by the common people of Gaul. Both are mostly true but leave out the most important of the differences.

Athenaze is Attic Greek, and that's what I'd use...

Athenaze is Attic Greek, and that's what I'd use...

If attic is your goal, Athenaze is one of the few choices, but it is not an elementary text by any stretch. We used Athenaze in college, and, while it could be used for self-education, in high school or perhaps by a gifted middle schooler, it will not work well below that range. Koine is easier than Attic, so there will be a hurdle to jump when the time comes; however, any child with a working knowledge of Koine will have a wonderful head start.

If attic is your goal, Athenaze is one of the few choices, but it is not an elementary text by any stretch. We used Athenaze in college, and, while it could be used for self-education, in high school or perhaps by a gifted middle schooler, it will not work well below that range. Koine is easier than Attic, so there will be a hurdle to jump when the time comes; however, any child with a working knowledge of Koine will have a wonderful head start.

Oh, definitely! I just love the style of Athenaze, so we'll be waiting until the kids can handle that. :-)

We are still waiting for news on this. They do have Greek: A New Beginning which is a great intro. My dd worked through it twice waiting for Greek Prep. We still wait......

It's designed for students working towards GCSE (roughly SAT subject test level). The author is still working on an answer book. You can probably get it from bookdepository.co.uk with free shipping.

Just a thought while you wait...

Laura