Menu

1st grade Language Arts...

What are you using/planning to use? My ds is finishing the LLATL Blue book soon and is also about half-way through ETC book 3. I am just kind of dangling on where to go from here. I won't stop ETC because it does work so well for him. But what should I use with it? I am not sure I want to continue with LLATL much past the red book...but is it even worth it to use the red book if I am pretty sure I won't stick with the program?

I looked at CLE and my oldest is in the process of switching to it, but I feel like my ds5 is between levels in it. Is there anything great and wonderful to follow LLATL Blue but not overwhelm (or underwhelm either, for that matter)...

I really like the ease of use of the sample in my signature. I have DD read aloud to me as instructed, then she narrates that selection. She gets a good review of grammar and spelling and we have some nice discussions too. Of course, that only lasted two weeks. I wish it was done!

Lovemykids: LOL! I convinced you to use WWE? I am so persuasive. (gloating)

First grade LA in our house is:

~First Language Lessons 1/2

~Phonics Pathways, or Plaid Phonics for the kid that did better with a workbook to start with

~real books for reading, narrations naturally followed most of them

~copywork for writing (I just plucked sentences from books we read, science or history. *shrug*)

~A Reason For Spelling if they were ready for it (one was, one wasn't)

That's what my older two used, and what I plan for my third to use this fall.

I really like the ease of use of the sample in my signature. I have DD read aloud to me as instructed, then she narrates that selection. She gets a good review of grammar and spelling and we have some nice discussions too. Of course, that only lasted two weeks. I wish it was done!

Lovemykids: LOL! I convinced you to use WWE? I am so persuasive. (gloating)

LOL. Yes, I might use it now, thanks! After thinking it over some more, I might use it with my 3rd grader also.

OP, WWE looks like it can be used alone without FLL for 1st. Or copywork from books is always good too, and simple,that's what we did with my oldest dd.

Take a look at Days Go By, More Days Go By, Learning Through Sounds 2 and Climbing to Good English 1 by Pathway. They'll cement the phonics from LLATL Blue and give lots of reading practice that will get you ready to start 2nd grade. CTGE has basic grammar and composition exercises as well as phonics support. Here's a link to Rod and Staff books that has lots of samples:

http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/list/Pathway_Readers_Grade_1/

We used these after ds finished Blue and they really helped his fluency. When we started Red he had no problem with the jump in difficulty (and it is quite a jump!)

We used WinterPromise LA1. It includes ETC 6 (4 and 5 are covered within other areas of the program, so it's not like skipping from 3 to 6, their Advanced K phonics stops with 3), Right Into Reading 2, File Folder Reading Games, WP spelling and grammar, wonderful "real book" readers and creative writing/narration activities weekly which correspond to American Story 1 or Children Around The World themes.

Here's a link to the instructor guide sample:

http://www.winterpromise.com/pdfs/la_1.pdf