Menu

for those who like Adam on American Idol...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,508975,00.html

He's no amateur according to this article. And I can't believe he's 27! I was thinking he was still in high school.

See, that's what's really begun to bother me about Adam. I've always thought the whole premise of Idol was to enable young talented artists with no experience to find their way in the industry. This guy is obviously light years ahead of the rest of the contingency because of his experience. I don't like that. :confused:

See, that's what's really begun to bother me about Adam. I've always thought the whole premise of Idol was to enable young talented artists with no experience to find their way in the industry. This guy is obviously light years ahead of the rest of the contingency because of his experience. I don't like that. :confused:

I agree! I can't really get behind supporting a guy who's been extremely successful as a performer in musical theater, who just hasn't been as successful as he'd like to be in the popular music arena. I'd rather root for someone who has never had the chance to make a living as a performer at all. That's what American Idol is about to me. I hope Adam doesn't go as far as the producers of the show want him to.

I agree! I can't really get behind supporting a guy who's been extremely successful as a performer in musical theater, who just hasn't been as successful as he'd like to be in the popular music arena. I'd rather root for someone who has never had the chance to make a living as a performer at all. That's what American Idol is about to me. I hope Adam doesn't go as far as the producers of the show want him to.

Exactly. Otherwise, what makes AI unique from any other venue budding artists might be able to tap into? Nothing. I'm with you, Erica.

Of course now, even if America gets rid of him, the judges could ( and probably would) save him.

Daughtry comes to mind. If I'm not mistaken, he was another who had had previous experience prior to coming on the show. Given the new twist (judges ability to save), he'd have most likely been brought back. This highlights all the more, to me, the need to keep basic principles in place - only those with NO professional experience be allowed to participate.

Daughtry comes to mind. If I'm not mistaken, he was another who had had previous experience prior to coming on the show. Given the new twist (judges ability to save), he'd have most likely been brought back. This highlights all the more, to me, the need to keep basic principles in place - only those with NO professional experience be allowed to participate.

Did he have a record deal with his band (the one he was with prior to AI) or did his garage band release an independent cd? There is a difference, imo.

Last season I think there were at least two contestants in the top 12 with prior record label experience, Carly Smithson and Michael Johns.

ETA: I agree that the contest should be for contestants who have not previously been signed to any type of recording deal.

Did he have a record deal with his band (the one he was with prior to AI) or did his garage band release an independent cd? There is a difference, imo.

Last season I think there were at least two contestants in the top 12 with prior record label experience, Carly Smithson and Michael Johns.

ETA: I agree that the contest should be for contestants who have not previously been signed to any type of recording deal.

For me it's more than whether or not they had a recording deal. I'm more interested in seeing the contest compare apples to apples so to speak in terms of professional experience. *Anyone* with significant experience in performing before public audiences has a particular edge over individuals who have not that same experience but just "raw talent". Personally, I'd prefer to see AI careful to highlight the latter rather than try to host the two differing case scenarios. It means all the more to me, a part of the viewing audience, to see a young person with little to no experience be able to showcase their talent and be "recognized".

I'm pretty sure that Kelly Clarkson had a record deal before, as well as Brooke White, and a bunch of others who have already been mentioned. It doesn't bug me at all. I have several friends who have had record deals, but their professional careers haven't gone very far. There is a huge gap between record deal and successful career. That said, I haven't read the article, so maybe Adam's experience goes beyond that. I still dig his 80's hair band voice.

I think it is extremely hypocritical of AI to let him stay when they got rid of Joanna Pacitti for that very reason.

This is a quote from the original article linked above

This year, one “ringer†has already been removed: Joanne Pacitti, who apparently was a friend of the show’s producers.

I think being a friend of the show's producers is a different issue, if that is the case.

Here is a link indicating that he had an album in 2006 http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/04/22/american-idol-contestant-david-cook-tops-amazon-mp3-chart-then-vanishes/

I like Adam. I don't see how you can pull off a seasoned, confident performance without some experience in the field. Inexperience seems to show on the stage, and great voice or not- generally gets contestants voted off.

Here is a link indicating that he had an album in 2006 http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/04/22/american-idol-contestant-david-cook-tops-amazon-mp3-chart-then-vanishes/

I like Adam. I don't see how you can pull off a seasoned, confident performance without some experience in the field. Inexperience seems to show on the stage, and great voice or not- generally gets contestants voted off.

Thanks for the rollingstone link. I *thought* I remembered something of that nature. On the other note, Carrie Underwood is proof that one doesn't have to have prior experience to excel. :001_smile:

This is a quote from the original article linked above

I think being a friend of the show's producers is a different issue, if that is the case.

Well, I kiiiiinda see your point, but not really.;) I think that the standard should be the standard. If it's a show about amateurs getting their big break, then keep it that way. I found this from season 7. Vewy intewesting.:D

I'm not picking on you, just quoting you because you quoted me.:001_smile:

Oh, and I don't like Adam as a singer. I think that he screeches something awful. My ears are much more suited to a guy like Matt Giraud or David Cook. I am not a fan of boys who look like girls, ie the nail polish and eyeliner.

Carrie Underwood was in the process of getting a record contract with Capitol Records as early as 1996, only a change in the label's management caused the deal to be canceled (per Wikipedia). She had a lot of local performing experience and had beauty pageant experience as well.

Jordin Sparks certainly had experience, she had sung as an opening act on Michael W. Smith's Christmas tour, as well as performing at pro-life rallies. Fantasia was part of a family singing group that had toured for years.

Carrie Underwood was in the process of getting a record contract with Capitol Records as early as 1996, only a change in the label's management caused the deal to be canceled (per Wikipedia). She had a lot of local performing experience and had beauty pageant experience as well.

Jordin Sparks certainly had experience, she had sung as an opening act on Michael W. Smith's Christmas tour, as well as performing at pro-life rallies. Fantasia was part of a family singing group that had toured for years.

Now we know who to come to with our AI questions! :D Sounds like we need to reverse the question - have their been any success stories out of Idol who did *not* have prior experience? Even if that answer is no, I still would prefer to see the inexperienced judged alone. You gotta start somewhere, right? :)

Well, I kiiiiinda see your point, but not really.;) I think that the standard should be the standard. If it's a show about amateurs getting their big break, then keep it that way. I found this from season 7. Vewy intewesting.:D

I'm not picking on you, just quoting you because you quoted me.:001_smile:

Oh, and I don't like Adam as a singer. I think that he screeches something awful. My ears are much more suited to a guy like Matt Giraud or David Cook. I am not a fan of boys who look like girls, ie the nail polish and eyeliner.

No worries. It is impossible for me to feel picked on about AI. :) I agree about the eyeliner. When it gets down to it, I'm pulling for Danny.

Adam just rubs me the wrong way, something I am not crazy about....dont know what it is (I mean he's a great singer, though kinda whiney) I just dont like him very much as far as what I would like an AI winner to represent.

I want someone with humility to win....like Danny!!!

I try and look at it through my kids' eyes.