Menu

How many math problems per day do you feel is normal

Susie in MS

MUS has about 8-20 questions for that age range. The median being about 15.

My son (1st grade) can zip through it fast if he wants and sometimes does two or more pages. Beta level had 10 questions this week for my son. It did not take long and he understood it completely. Beta is considered about 2nd grade.

My daughter struggles with her higher grade level (4th grade) and sometimes only completes half a page when she is first starting a new topic. I try to get her to finish some portion of it, whether it is half or the whole thing. My daughter is on a difficult lesson this week and her page only had 10 questions but each had two parts. She needs more review so she does math for a longer amount of time.

I have found that it has more to do with my child's ability level than what they should be doing. I have pushed my daughter and it is not ever successful. I don't think there is any point in holding a child back to one page if they want to do more and can do so comfortably.

For perspective, we do less each day and school all year long (except Christmas). Some people would find that they expect more then take a summer break.

HTH

I find Saxon to be perfect in the number and variety of problems my 2nd and 3rd graders do a day.

It's hard to say exactly how many problems there are a day because some of the problems are multi-step.

There's also a time math facts daily and some morning review.

I aimed for 20 in 2nd and 3rd grades (I went by time in 1st grade & usually sat with them & did them orally). We used Horizons & when there were more, I just chose certain problems from each problem set. The unused problems were nice to have in case they needed more practice on a concept.

Merry :-)

for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grades?

And what math do you use that fits that bill?

Depends. :-)

DS could do 100 multiplication facts, two or three word problems, and two to five thoughtful problems.

Or he could do 6-16 novel problems.

Or he could do about 30 very challenging problems on material he's already mastered at a lower level.

We use RS, Singapore, and various challenging math books.

He's pretty passionate about math, and he's good at it. He's doing algebra and doesn't even know it. ;-) The grade level of the books, though, is 2nd to 3rd.

I give my 6yo 1 revision sheet each day. She gets two new maths sheets from MUS, and a RS lesson.

My 7yo gets 2 or 3 revision sheets each day. He gets 2 or 3 new MUS lesson sheets each day (when he gets 2 new he gets 3 revision and vice versa). He also gets an RS lesson each day.

I give my 6yo 1 revision sheet each day. She gets two new maths sheets from MUS, and a RS lesson.

My 7yo gets 2 or 3 revision sheets each day. He gets 2 or 3 new MUS lesson sheets each day (when he gets 2 new he gets 3 revision and vice versa). He also gets an RS lesson each day.

I have never seen these programs (I know about them, but I don't know how many problems are on a sheet). What number of problems does this translate into? And what is a revision sheet? :confused:

You are going to get a huge variety of answers. Some of it will depend on what you feel is reasonable and some of it will depend on your child's learning style & passion for math.

My child in 3rd grade really struggles with math so there is no way I could have her doing tons of problems in a single day. We use Abeka but have to slow down occassionally in case a new lesson hasn't sunk in yet. We time our flashcards so that she doesn't get overwhelmed (5 minutes/day). I sit with her for the first 5-10 math problems, she works for 10 minutes on her own, and then whatever isn't done she works on during our family quiet hour/rest time.

In Abeka 3rd grade, 1 page (2 sides) is assigned per day. If there is a ton of review on the back page, I circle just a handful of problems for her to do that day.

On the other side of this, she LOVES language arts, reading, and grammar. It is no big deal for me to assign one novel to be read per week. A child gifted in math but struggling with english/language arts curriclum might only be able to read and comprehend one novel a month.

So much of this depends on a child's strengths and giftings. (We have friends whose daughter BEGS for extra math pages every day! I can't imagine that .....)

Hope this helps.

Since grade 1, my children have always used Rod and Staff Math. In the early grades, 1-3, I made them do EVERY problem. In Grades 4-6, there are some lessons that have a lot of review. I let them skip some of the rows on these lessons.

I have read too many posts from mothers who wished that they would have spent more time in the early years cementing the math facts. They wanted to appease their children with less seat work, so the moms only had the children do minimal mathmatical exercises on a daily basis. These moms reported that their child's lack of recall on basic math facts greatly hampered their child's ability to grasp higher math. So they would have early teens who needed to go back to do remedial math. After the basics were in place, then higher math could begin. I so appreciate these moms honestly talking about their struggles, and how they could have prevented them. I decided at that time that my children would spend more time learning their math facts. After spending the early years with daily recitations of math facts and watching the children do EVERY problem for each lesson, I now see the fruits of our hard labor.

I feel that there are other areas in my homeschool day where I can take a shortcut or two. Math, Grammar, Reading and Writing will not be the culprits.

Now, I wish I was as dilgent with Science :confused:

Disclaimer: Yes, I have heard some moms talk about how their children heard the multiplication facts two times, and now their children can recite them by rote memory. Or, another group of moms who tell of their child doing two rows of each lesson since 1st grade, and now the child is ready for Algreba II. I have average children (okay, I think above average:001_smile:). This message content was written for moms like me.

Hope this helps,

I find Saxon to be perfect in the number and variety of problems my 2nd and 3rd graders do a day.

It's hard to say exactly how many problems there are a day because some of the problems are multi-step.

:iagree: I would say that it runs between 8-15 problems on the worksheet in the lower levels, with an additional 25 problems on the math fact sheet.

It takes my current 1st grader about 20 minutes to do his Saxon 2, and it takes my Ker about 15 minutes to do Saxon 1.

My 3rd grader is in 5/4, and he probably does about 20-25 problems a day (he doesn't do all the problems), plus the 100 problems on the math fact sheet. It takes him about 30-45 minutes.

You are going to get a huge variety of answers. Some of it will depend on what you feel is reasonable and some of it will depend on your child's learning style & passion for math.

:iagree: My oldest always viewed math as torture sent from H*ll specifically directed at him. My middle son never had a problem and my little guy loves math. The amount of 1st-3rd grade math that each child was able to complete in a single day varied greatly.

:iagree: I would say that it runs between 8-15 problems on the worksheet in the lower levels, with an additional 25 problems on the math fact sheet.

It takes my current 1st grader about 20 minutes to do his Saxon 2, and it takes my Ker about 15 minutes to do Saxon 1.

My 3rd grader is in 5/4, and he probably does about 20-25 problems a day (he doesn't do all the problems), plus the 100 problems on the math fact sheet. It takes him about 30-45 minutes.

:iagree:For my little guy this is certainly true. Except instead of doing the Saxon math fact sheet my ds does Kumon math drill.

HTH-

Mandy

I have never seen these programs (I know about them, but I don't know how many problems are on a sheet). What number of problems does this translate into? And what is a revision sheet? :confused:

MUS generally has about 10 - 20 problems on a page at that level.

A revision sheet reinforces topics they've already learnt so that they don't forget them. I often will give 30 questions on a page and often make pages of + - * or / just to reinforce the facts.

We use Right Start, and many days my kids don't do any worksheets. My feeling is that young kids need to be understanding math conceptually and that filling in rows of math problems doesn't necessarily lead to conceptual understanding. We play lots of math games and my kids are learning their math facts just fine without filling out worksheets.

Tara

Not sure what the perfect amount of problems would be. But when I used BJU math for my oldest it seemed to have the right amount of math problems for each grade. It started off small with K and each year there were a little more. But never really more then 10 or so problems a page.

CLE has up to 30 for 4th grade. And this just seems to kill my daughter , but in reality its not killing her.LOL.

My dd hates to do a sheet full of review problems so instead of many simple problems to review her addition and subtraction, I give her one addition and on subtraction problem that is really big. So while some kids are doing lots of review problems in second grade, my dd is doing one addition problem that is adding 4 to 5, 5 digit numbers and then doing an 8 or 9 digit subtraction problem with borrowing. She sees it as two fun problems; I see it as a good amount of practice and review.

After she does those two, she does one or two Singapore Challenging Word problems.

After that, we either work through a lesson in Singapore or she does a page or two from Miquon which has on average about 10ish problems on a page.

In addition to that, we work on orally reviewing one multiplication table.

Our math is customized to meet the needs of me as a teacher and her as a student. It probably wouldn't work for any other student-teacher pair.

I do feel strongly that practice is important, at all skill levels so that the simple math becomes automatic, but I have learned that slow and steady works great for us and that it is very important to make sure the child is challenged at also so that while the easy stuff is becoming easier, there is exciting and challenging stuff to keep their interest.