Menu

Can Chemistry be taken before Biology?...

It would be easier on me if my two dc were in the same science next year. That would mean my dd taking Chemistry, and then moving on to Biology. It would look like this:

9th: BJU (Physical Science)

10th: Chemistry(unsure of curriculum)

11th: Biology (unsure of curriculum)

12th: Human Anatomy& Physiology (Apologia, with Potter's School)

She will have completed Algebra I before chemistry.

Thanks!

1. maturity

Chem is a more abstract subject than bio so if a child is still in the concrete thinking stage, you might want to hold off.

2. math background.

Algebra 1, well-mastered, is a must. There is a lot of problem-solving in chem so math skills are essential

I don't worry about bio since little biology knowledge is directly needed in chem; more chem is needed for bio, especially if you are using a text that delves into metabolism.

I have four kids. My oldest will be in chem next year. All 4 will be doing some kind of chem, including the 8th grader who hasn't had algebra. She'll be doing chem-lite and probably some earth science. I'm all for keeping them together.

2009-2010

15yo chem

13yo chem-lite, maybe earth

10yo intro to chem

8yo intro to chem

2010-2011

16yo physics

14yo physical science and maybe astronomy

11yo and 9yo intro to physics

2011-2012

17yo science elective

15yo biology

12/10yo biology-lite

2012-2013

oldest in college

16yo in chem

13/11 yo in chem-lite

You get the picture; I'll try to keep them together even if chem is a bit early or delayed

It did not work for us - my daughter was not ready for it. She is not math-y and, even though she did well in Algebra 2, doing Chemistry at the same time was miserable!

She would have done better to skip science in 10th grade and then do Chemistry in 11th and Biology in 12th, or Biology in 10th and Chemistry in 11th....fwiw!

We're going to do just that, but with Conceptual Chemistry by Sudocki as you don't need as much math. Dd will be done Alg 1 by then. Our plan:

Gr 9/freshman: Conceptual Chemistry by Sudocki, Geometry

Gr 10/sophomore: Conceptual Physics by Hewitt (the university one--there are several books he's written), Algebra 2

Gr 11/junior: Biology, next math--possibly AP Chem this year (or the following)

gr 12/senior AP Biology, Calculus (and possibly AP Chem)