Menu

But I don't want to give up my Lemon-Pepper!

But I made the mistake of reading the back of my McCormick Costco size bottle and then googling "calcium dioxide" and "calcium silicate." ick.

Does anyone have a ready formula they use to replace recipes that call for Lemon-Pepper?

My dh loves a particular lemon-pepper chicken recipe I make. He is willing to ingest the above chemicals if he has to.....;)

Jo

But I made the mistake of reading the back of my McCormick Costco size bottle and then googling "calcium dioxide" and "calcium silicate." ick.

Lemon pepper is my favorite spice! It can't be bad for me, can it? :confused:

I'll be interested in this thread, as I guess I should find a replacement too.....

<whimper>

astrid

You could try this

http://www.ehow.com/how_17352_make-homemade-lemon.html

I have a prefilled grinder of it from Trader Joe's that lists: black peppercorns, sea salt, onion, lemon rind, garlic, lemon oil and citric acid. You may want to check and see if Aldi's or Dollar Tree might have something similar as I've bought other grinders at these stores.

Edited by KarenNC

I just checked my Lawry's Lemon Pepper, and it doesn't have either of those chemicals. We love it, especially on Tilapia. :) Yummy.

Here's the ingredients list:

Black Pepper

Salt

Modified Food starch

Citric Acid

Lemon Peel

Sugar

Garlic

Onion

Natural Flavor and Riboflavin (for color)

Contains no MSG

I just checked my Lawry's Lemon Pepper, and it doesn't have either of those chemicals. We love it, especially on Tilapia. :) Yummy.

Here's the ingredients list:

Black Pepper

Salt

Modified Food starch

Citric Acid

Lemon Peel

Sugar

Garlic

Onion

Natural Flavor and Riboflavin (for color)

Contains no MSG

What does "Natural Flavor" actually mean? Just curious, not trying to make a fuss.

What does "Natural Flavor" actually mean? Just curious, not trying to make a fuss.

In general, I think it translates to "MSG or something else we don't want to tell you, but you're guaranteed to be allergic to it."

...at least, that's what I've found since I've developed food allergies!

Also, anything that says "spices" on a spice bottle is MSG, the only exception I've found is chili powder, whatever the unlabeled "spices" is in chili powder is not MSG or anything I'm allergic to.

In general, anything with more than one spice in it has an unlabeled "spices" ingredient and MSG, with italian spices being an exception, they generally do not add MSG to that.

That's the $3 question. I always heard that it meant MSG. But, this one specifically says it "Contains No MSG", so who knows? Whatever it is, it doesn't bother us. I'm not going to stop enjoying our Tilapia with Lemon Pepper because of it. :)

Does anyone have a ready formula they use to replace recipes that call for Lemon-Pepper?

My dh loves a particular lemon-pepper chicken recipe I make. He is willing to ingest the above chemicals if he has to.....;)

Jo

What is calcium dioxide and calcium silicate?