Menu

s/o processed food thread

My sons have just announced that they have never eaten Ring Dings. We've been watching Seinfeld DVDs, and the Ring Ding plays a role. Dh said, "They're just like Ho Ho's."

Kinder, in unison: "What are Ho Ho's?"

LOL. This is very funny to me, except that dh is saying that he should go buy said items to bring dc out of the dark.

And that is NOT funny.

Kind of. LOL

ETA: Dh at this moment, to dc, "Let me describe a Ho Ho..." LOL. I'm dying! This is too funny. Something about "chocolatey goop"

And here's a link for the snack cake challenged: http://www.famousfoods.com/drridi2pa.html And the mention of Ring Dings in Seinfeld in on Disc 3, Season 5, Episode 14: The Dinner Party.

Am I the only whose kids don't know what these things are? I'm talking Ring Dings, Twinkies. Ho Hos, TasteyCakes, etc.

Ria

Edited by Ria

Dh was telling our dc the other day that "frozen twinkies" are soooooo good. :glare: "What's a Twinkie?", they wondered. I stepped in and started to describe a Twinkie, trying to make it sound as awful as possible :tongue_smilie:. Oldest dd said "That sounds gross!" Youngest ds chimed in "Will you buy those next time you go to the store?"

Oh well, I guess you win some and you lose some.

I personally love the fact that my dc have NEVER seen a Ho-Ho or a Twinkie. They also think that pasta and bread made with white flour is "mushy". :lol: I figure they'll "come out of the dark" on their own someday.

I must not be the Seinfeldian I once considered myself because I have no recollection of Rings Dings. Drat! Twinkies and HoHos were standard lunchbox fare for our family when I was a child. Are they really still around?!

Tom says they were mentioned in "The Dinner Party"...I'll find out which season this was and let you know.

ETA: Disc 3, Season 5, Episode 14: The Dinner Party.

Ria

Edited by Ria

When Julie, the American Girl, came out, I explained to the kids that that was me - the seventies girl. Somehow in the conversation, Ding Dongs came up.

My children had no idea. And we DID go buy a box. The kids hated them. And you know what? They aren't nearly as good as I remember them.

History education at its finest.

*I* have never heard of Ring Dings and I have watched and enjoyed plenty o' Seinfield episodes! :confused:

And no, you're not alone. My kids have no idea what any of those things are either. My 10yo dd has seen the boxes of Little Debbie snack cakes at the store because they are near the bread aisle, *and* they face the produce section (gah!), which we're always in. She looks at them sometimes and asks about them because she says they "look good". But then I show her the box with the ingredients and nutrition label, and she is quite content with passing them up. So far anyway. But if I were to casually say in conversation something about a Ho-Ho or a Ding Dong or Twinkie...whatever...both my kids would not even have a clue what I was saying.

Personally, I'm proud of that fact!

Guest Virginia Dawn

Am I the only whose kids don't know what these things are? I'm talking Ring Dings, Twinkies. Ho Hos, TasteyCakes, etc.

Ria

My kids don't know those, but thanks to dh they know Ding Dongs and Nutty Buddies. He also taught them how to sing all those songs you learned in elementary school that you wouldn't sing in front of your mother. :tongue_smilie: