Menu

For those who use Rightstart Math

mama2hdas

Tell me what you think...the good and the bad. Also, I am wondering what you switch to when you have finished all the levels? Singapore? How did your transition go?

I am seriously considering this program for my children (5 and 4 years) this next fall.

Thanks

We did levels A-D, and I own E and Geo. We LOVED levels A and B, highly recommend for the solid conceptual foundation they develop! I liked the way 4 digit subtraction is taught in level C.

We didn't do enough practice to get our math facts, and the games, very auditory, didn't make them stick for dd. Of course she has that math facts/spelling-itis thing that's very common, built into her, lol, and can misspell and be slow no matter how much we work. In any case, we moved to BJU, which is similar conceptually but has more visual, more practice built in, entertaining stories and themes, etc., and are happy. I think you'll have any number of choices after RS, so don't sweat that. Whatever you do, buy a Flashmaster and use it DILIGENTLY!

You have to have time to teach RS and you have to be open to learning new ways of doing things. It's exactly like the samples, so if you like the samples, I think you'll be fine! :)

Well, I have gone through all the levels up to E with my oldest (she is 10) and we stopped halfway through the Geometry. I have currently used all the levels up to D with my second daughter (she is 7 ).

RightStart is time consuming especially levels A-B and part of C. It does ease up during Level C and you aren't spending quite as long with them. I do feel that it is a wonderful program and it teaches them so much about mental math. It really depends on the child and how quickly they get the concept.

My oldest really had trouble understanding the concepts or it took longer for her to understand. She is one that needs more practice with concepts and I didn't play the games more than what was required or suggested. We stopped Geometry and started doing the Key to Series with decimals, percents, and fractions so she can get a better handle on them. I found that it was introduced in Level E but there wasn't enough practice . When she is done with that, she will move into Singapore Primary math 5 and 6. I plan on her finishing those by the end of next year.

My 2nd daughter is totally different and understands the concepts and is flying through the program. She really understands the math and it is amazing how she can figure things out mentally. I feel this program is amazing and it makes so much sense. I now understand why I multiply or divide the way I do. RightStart is great for understanding the concept not just memorizing steps to get an answer.

Sorry this got so long, but I do believe it is a good program and yes it does take some time on your part to teach but in the end, I think they have a better understanding of math and why they do the things they do.

HTH,

Madonna

I have been very, very pleased with Right Start. My boys have such a solid understanding of math. And it has been just about painless. The lessons are very thoroughly planned so that each little thing you do prepares the child for the next. I think that's my favorite thing.

It has a lot of quick, frequent review. That is what I recommend to parents whose kids I tutor, and RS has it built in to the daily lessons.

It does take time, but I think it is absolutely worth it.

The games are fun and excellent reinforcement/practice.

My only criticism would be that occasionally some of the directions (for games, in particular) can be a little tricky to understand.

Also, I second the suggestion to include additional routine facts practice -- like the Flashmaster.

At one point I was feeling overwhelmed with teaching 3 levels of RS at the same time...A, B, C. I dropped teaching the A and figure she'll get it next year in B. oldest is 4 lessons from finishing C and D is on order. I've heard that level C is the most intense of the levels and it could take up to a year and a half to finish it! And to think that I pushed DD 9 through it in a year...if only I had known. But she and DD7 have a very concrete understanding of addition and subtraction facts. you don't really need to supplement it with anything. the games are fun and today we were playing a skip counting game that even my 3yo was successful at! and we were all working together and having fun...plus they were learning! I did purchase the Math Mammoth blue series downloads to supplement with. I work 3 afternoons per week and I wanted something that I could leave for them to work through on their own as review if I wasn't able to teach the math lesson that morning. so far we haven't needed them, but they are really good. I really LOVE RS math--it makes sense and the varied hands on materials are so awesome. i also like how the reviews are consistent and built right into the lessons. if we come to a part that confuses me I stop and read the lesson out loud and DD understands it and we figure it out together. there is really no preparation to it, though i usually read through the lesson for a quick minute b/4 teaching it so I know where we're going with it. The card games are easily taught and set up in a matter of minutes. Your children are young though so I say go through A slowly and play lots of games. the card games book isn't required for level A but if you can at all afford to purchase it, you should. there are PLENTY of games for their levels and you'd be surprised at how much they will pick up from just playing them!

RS is an excellent choice in the elementary years! I relearned math along with my kids. I have done levels A-D.

That said, I am switching my two older girls to Teaching Textbooks in the next couple of weeks. Each for different reasons.. My oldest FINALLY gets math and I feel she is ready to move on to something a little less mommy-intensive (I'm being stretched too thin around here). And for my 2nd daughter, I just decided to switch her recently because she is so gifted in math, but she can't work to her potential when she has to wait on mom to do lessons with her. She is the type who could sit and do math lessons all day (I can't though!). She has a wonderful understanding and excellent mental math skills and I hope she keeps all the skills that RS has taught her all through life.

I plan to use RS in the elementary years for all my children and then switch them around 5th-6th grade. It's a solid program and gives children wonderful skills. My girls enjoyed it too, which is HUGE for my 11yo who struggles with math.

Well, that and Story of the World. I can't wait to see if the new edition of The Well-Trained Mind recommends Right Start.

We started with "B" in May of kindergarten year (so at the very end of K) and are now a little more than halfway through "E." I haven't decided whether to do Geometry next year or whether to wait a bit. If we don't do it, we will probably do Singapore 5A and 5B. I do have Singapore 4A and 4B and will go through those this summer to ensure that they don't include anything "new."

Right Start Math provides children with a really deep understanding of mathematics and helps them develop a real flexibility and facility with numbers. So if they forget a formula, they have ways to derive it. If they forget an algorithm, they will not sacrifice their knowledge of place value (and of estimating answers) and substitute an incorrect algorithm. Just my experience. We are LUCKY that we discovered it at our local curriculum fair right when we were thinking of homeschooling.

I disagree with OhElizabeth that the games are "primarily auditory." I'm not sure how that could be when they are mostly CARD games. Perhaps she is talking about Levels A and B, but the games appropriate to C, D and E are certainly not auditory. For example, we are doing factoring games now and they are all..... visual. They work extremely well for my visual-spatial guy. Oh, and the color-coded abacus is a visual tool. When my son does multi-digit addition in his head, he still "sees" the abacus in his brain. That's how he figures, to this day. He never really memorized addition facts, he just "sees" that if you add four to seven, there are three to make 10 (and then the color of the beads changes) and there is one on top of those.

Ask away if you have more questions.....

Julie

Edited by buddhabelly
abacus

I think RightStart is ideal for the low-normal (that is, just above MR) to low-gifted with little to no modification. Kids who struggle more will take more practice. Kids who "get it" faster will be fine with just the already scheduled reviews.

For kids who are MR or have severe learning disabilities, RightStart won't be the right place to start. You have to have one-to-one correspondence intuitively for RightStart to be successful as a first program. Instead, I suggest to start with Math Their Way and then do the diagnostic test and the transitions lessons when MTW ends after 2nd grade.

Most kids, it seems, have a few rough spots in the program where some of the steps should be broken down more incrementally. Just look for intermediate steps when this happens--after doing RS for a while, it should be natural.

For those highly gifted and above, RightStart will more too slowly, and compression will be required to maintain interest. Compression can get a bit annoying with RS, as it expands more easily than it contracts. Even so, I DO recommend the program, particularly the "thinking lessons." RS is very mathematically minded, and I love that.

So far, we've completed A, B, and C and have started D. We've found the drawing/geometry lessons the most challenging. I love that review, when it is necessary, is built in. DS hasn't had to use any external mechanism at all to drill his math facts. In fact, we've never even done the practice sheeds, only the worksheets, and we've found no extraneous practice necessary at all. I let DS give oral instead of written explanations and am not requiring him to show his work yet.

RS' biggest strength is its mathematical thinking. It is logical, rigorous, and thorough and is without the ridiculous amounts of repetition that is meant to substitute for real content and undersanding that certain other programs have. It is "advanced" for its grade level but is still quite manageable in difficulty for most kids. It gives lots of different strategies and approaches--the same strategies that gifted learners develop intuitively, so essentially, it teaches the child to think like a mathematically gifted kid even if he isn't. It gives word problems in real world language instead of math-ese. It really trains students to think about what they are doing.

It has disadvantages, however. It's not a good starting place for very low-ability students. It is hard to modify for very gifted learners. It is quite time-consuming. It is more expensive than some programs. The repetition--basically, the spiralling--is too much for some students. The last sections on fractions are too slim to allow a kid to move on to Algebra right away. Singapore stil has more very sophisticated word problems.

The last sections on fractions are too slim to allow a kid to move on to Algebra right away. Singapore stil has more very sophisticated word problems.

Yes, Singapore makes a great "add-on" (especially if you can buy it used) to Right Start because of the more challenging word problems. But almost all of the questions in Right Start are word problems --- like in the division section, they give "real" problems where the child really does need to divide. Same with the factoring (Level E): the child really NEEDS to factor in order to obtain a solution to a real problem (rather than simply asked to factor something).

Right Start does not claim that a child will be ready for algebra after Level "E." Level E is for FOURTH GRADE, for heaven's sake. I would move to Singapore 5A (or 4B) after Level E. There are many suggestions on the Right Start Math board as to what to do after Level E. I believe they suggest extra fraction work before moving to their "Geometric Approach book, including playing ALL the fraction games in the games book, and not only the ones that were suggested in Level E.

But to reassure folks, my son is only halfway through Level E and knows how to simplify fractions, and how to change proper fractions to improper fractions (so we can add them together!) also the other way round.

The "Geometry" program is listed under "Intermediate Math" and does not teach only geometry. It uses a "geometric approach" to teaching middle school math. Here's the explanation: "Learn intermediate mathematics hands-on and visually through geometry. With a tool set consisting of a drawing board, T-square, triangles, compass, and goniometer, the child explores triangles, area, volume, ratios, Pythagorean theorem, tiling, and other geometry concepts. New concepts are taught while practicing arithmetic, fractions, and decimals. Student works independently.

Thanks for your theoretical comments, Reya. I am glad that someone wrote a text that explicitly lays out the way of learning math that has worked so well in Singapore. I learned about that in teacher school before Right Start was even written (I believe the author of one book is Ling Ma), and would have been hard pressed to actually carry it out in my own homeschool with no curriculum.

Julie

Yes, Singapore makes a great "add-on" (especially if you can buy it used) to Right Start because of the more challenging word problems. But almost all of the questions in Right Start are word problems ....

Right Start does not claim that a child will be ready for algebra after Level "E." Level E is for FOURTH GRADE, for heaven's sake. I would move to Singapore 5A (or 4B) after Level E. There are many suggestions on the Right Start Math board as to what to do after Level E. I believe they suggest extra fraction work before moving to their "Geometric Approach book, including playing ALL the fraction games in the games book, and not only the ones that were suggested in Level E.

But to reassure folks, my son is only halfway through Level E and knows how to simplify fractions, and how to change proper fractions to improper fractions (so we can add them together!) also the other way round.

The "Geometry" program is listed under "Intermediate Math" and does not teach only geometry. It uses a "geometric approach" to teaching middle school math. Here's the explanation: "Learn intermediate mathematics hands-on and visually through geometry. With a tool set consisting of a drawing board, T-square, triangles, compass, and goniometer, the child explores triangles, area, volume, ratios, Pythagorean theorem, tiling, and other geometry concepts. New concepts are taught while practicing arithmetic, fractions, and decimals. Student works independently.

Thanks for your theoretical comments, Reya. I am glad that someone wrote a text that explicitly lays out the way of learning math that has worked so well in Singapore. I learned about that in teacher school before Right Start was even written (I believe the author of one book is Ling Ma), and would have been hard pressed to actually carry it out in my own homeschool with no curriculum.

Julie

Sorry--by more sophisticated, I meant that there were more that were sophisticated in Singapore's Challenging Word Problems (in the challenge sections!) and in their Intensive Practice. The word problems that RightStart does have are rarely trivial, but they tend to be few enough that a regular kid would stretch to solve it but wouldn't get it down cold. Because of the greater number in Singapore, there are also more different approaches. :-)

The Geometric Approach is 5th, and supposedly you can go from the first few sections of that into VideoText Algebra. I haven't seen enough of it, so I don't know how the hands-on approach transfers to being able to fluently divide and multiply fractions--the key word being fluently--but I don't think it'll be quite the same. I've yet to hear from parents enthusiastic about that transition, and I've been on the RightStart list for a year now. (There seems to be plenty of adding, subtracting, and simplifying fractions, BTW.) The hands-on geometry lessons go v-e-r-y slowly for us, and that seems to be a factor in a LOT of people who walk away from RS after E.

If my "theoretical," you mean that I am reporting the experiences of many dozens of actual RightStart users, then you would be correct. Sorry to get your panties in a wad about it. It's just a math curriculum, for goodness sakes! Take a breath!

I've read through A-E, and I also don't remember seeing anything on weights or on some of the length measurements, even--like yards. So we've added in those chapters from Singapore. It covers the calender, though, which Singapore does not.

BTW, I think RS A and B are head and shoulders better than Singapore's equivalents for nearly every child. If I were teaching 6 kids, I'd do RS 1 and 2 and then switch to the less teacher-intensive Singapore. If you like the level of instruction for parents, then you can get the Home Instructors Manuals for Singapore, too. I don't use them--and oddly enough, I feel like I don't need them because of what I got out for RightStart, in training me to teach!--but many say they're worth every penny.

RS is my favorite elementary program. However, it isn't for every single kid--just something like 97% of them. :-) And even for that 97%, it'll probably require a little bit of tweaking at you go--extra practice sheets, fewer practice sheets, more warm ups, more games, fewer games, breaking some lessons down into smaller bites, combining or even skipping others. For most peoplel the tweaking won't be much, but you can't be afraid of adding in extra lessons if you hit a wall or skimming if everything is overly familiar. RS is a great program, but it's not a mind-reading program. :-) You can likely make it work very well for you, though!

I'm using Level A for my 5 yr dd. I started last fall right about the time when she turned 5. We've been really taking it easy, slower than I had planned. That's my fault, not hers. She could easily have kept up if I went faster. But we've been going at a pretty slow pace, and we just did lesson 16 today (out of 77, I think).

Anyway, we both really like it, and she asks to do math. I think age 4/5 is a great time to start with Level A.

Right now I have one in each level A-D and I love it. The games are fun, the oral warm ups are fabulous, the concepts covered are right on for teaching why.

There are little things that I don't like, like the fact that at the end of a lesson it tells you to do the worksheet, but you have to look back at the first page to find out which worksheet. Not the end of the world.

The longer I use the program the more I like it.

Heather

We have finished with RightStart A last year. I would have continued with B if I could find RS B cheap. To fill in the gap while I lurk around and wait for somebody to throw RS B out, I was in luck and managed to buy used Math-U-See Alpha TM and we hit the road again using MUS instead.

I was amazed how solid the foundation has been laid in RS A. We practically flew past MUS until Lesson 10 where we got stuck. There is only 30 lessons in MUS Alpha.

That was when I wish I have forked out the money to get RS B instead. Because when dealing with such situation like this, when the concept get too difficult for the child to grasp, RightStart always comes out with a new approach in the next few lessons. One of the day, one method would work and the child would suddenly get enlightened. Also, RightStart would throw in several games, which has been great motivation to learn maths fact without knowing it!

Because MUS relies on drills to get the concept sinks in, I find myself printing out from the online drills generator to get DD to practise the same thing over and over until she gets it. I did not buy the student package else I would have even more worksheet for DD. Now, I am starting to worry. What if DD never gets it? What if DD needs a different approach?

RightStart is designed to use various approach to teach the same thing. Each lesson is so well-planned that each lesson build up upon the previous ones. Through these little steps we reach the eventual results. I think I like RightStart much better.

I guess sincerity is rare these days, because my post was simply to THANK YOU (sincerely) for eloquently elucidating the manner in which Right Start helps children learn math. I had tried to do that, but you did it better. I used the word "theoretical," but meant "conceptual." In other words, thank you, Reya, for outlining the conceptual strengths of this math program. I appreciate it. I appreciate you.

And I added a few details. I agreed with you that Singapore is a great addition to the program. I agreed with you. Panties are flat, not bunched at all.

Julie

Sorry--by more sophisticated, I meant that there were more that were sophisticated in Singapore's Challenging Word Problems (in the challenge sections!) and in their Intensive Practice. The word problems that RightStart does have are rarely trivial, but they tend to be few enough that a regular kid would stretch to solve it but wouldn't get it down cold. Because of the greater number in Singapore, there are also more different approaches. :-)

The Geometric Approach is 5th, and supposedly you can go from the first few sections of that into VideoText Algebra. I haven't seen enough of it, so I don't know how the hands-on approach transfers to being able to fluently divide and multiply fractions--the key word being fluently--but I don't think it'll be quite the same. I've yet to hear from parents enthusiastic about that transition, and I've been on the RightStart list for a year now. (There seems to be plenty of adding, subtracting, and simplifying fractions, BTW.) The hands-on geometry lessons go v-e-r-y slowly for us, and that seems to be a factor in a LOT of people who walk away from RS after E.

If my "theoretical," you mean that I am reporting the experiences of many dozens of actual RightStart users, then you would be correct. Sorry to get your panties in a wad about it. It's just a math curriculum, for goodness sakes! Take a breath!

I've read through A-E, and I also don't remember seeing anything on weights or on some of the length measurements, even--like yards. So we've added in those chapters from Singapore. It covers the calender, though, which Singapore does not.

BTW, I think RS A and B are head and shoulders better than Singapore's equivalents for nearly every child. If I were teaching 6 kids, I'd do RS 1 and 2 and then switch to the less teacher-intensive Singapore. If you like the level of instruction for parents, then you can get the Home Instructors Manuals for Singapore, too. I don't use them--and oddly enough, I feel like I don't need them because of what I got out for RightStart, in training me to teach!--but many say they're worth every penny.

RS is my favorite elementary program. However, it isn't for every single kid--just something like 97% of them. :-) And even for that 97%, it'll probably require a little bit of tweaking at you go--extra practice sheets, fewer practice sheets, more warm ups, more games, fewer games, breaking some lessons down into smaller bites, combining or even skipping others. For most peoplel the tweaking won't be much, but you can't be afraid of adding in extra lessons if you hit a wall or skimming if everything is overly familiar. RS is a great program, but it's not a mind-reading program. :-) You can likely make it work very well for you, though!

I also like RS alot. My first grader is in level B right now. He really loves the games so he is getting alot of practice of his math facts that way. I will say this is teacher intensive. I don't feel its "extremely" so, but if someone wants open and go, don't waste your money. I bought mine used for a very reasonable price on homeschoolclassifieds.com. We've gotten to a couple spots in RS where my ds just isn't "getting" it. This past week he was stuck on adding 2 digit numbers in his head. We had to take these lessons slow, playing lots of games and using the manipulatives and then today, he just got it! I guess that's the thing about RS that I love. It really works (of course there are exceptions ). I always got A's in math, but today my ds6 was adding 2 digit numbers in his head faster than I could. :001_smile: