Menu

Are there any 1-year history programs that I could use with an 11 and 8-year old?

Becca

A Child's History of the World (Hillyer) or A Little History of the World (Gombrich) would both make good spines for that. Sonlight has two 1-year world history cores, but both would need to be adapted a bit, since one would be a little young for your kids, and the other a little old.

I used Hillyers Child's History of the World with the Calvert Outline Workbook. I added some writing assignments for my 11 year old from IEW. I added mapwork for both from SOTW activity books and let 8 year old do color pages and review cards from SOTW. I already owned SOTW and IEW so it was easy.

And added to that, I know MFW and SOTW takes 2 years to do that, but I am looking for something a little less in depth that we can complete in 1 school year.

Lessons From History can be done quickly. It is a series of spiral books. Each goes thru a period of history by spending a couple of pages on major people & events, with space for you to fill in between. The pages on a person will include a short history, so you don't need to go to outside sources, but lots of ideas for adding if you do have time.