Menu

What are your favorite non-toxic cleaning products?

Aside from baking soda, lemon juice and vinegar (I HATE the smell of vinegar -- it gives me a headache.)

I am primarily looking for an all-purpose cleaner I can use on bathtubs, sinks, counters and floors.

I love the smell of lavender and almond, by the way.

I have used Sal's Suds on occasion. It is made by Dr. Bronner's I believe.

I also use Dr. Bronner's castille soap. Diluted with a fair bit of water you should be able to clean with it quite well and it does come in an almond scent.

I love Mrs. Meyer's lavender all-purpose cleaner (and ironing spray... oh, yum). I like SalSuds, or just regular Dr. Bronner's liquid soap, too, but I absolutely love the Mrs. M's.

I second Mrs. Meyers. I love the lavendar. The geranium is ok. I don't really like the lemon verbena. I lovelovelove the gingerbread and honeysuckle but those were limited time and I didn't see the gingerbread this winter so I bet the honeysuckle won't be out either. :001_unsure:

Some castile soap diluted in water is good for a lot of things, as well as just diluting some non-toxic dishwashing liquid. For scrubbing, besides baking soda, you can try Bon Ami. I use it a lot.

Have you tried scenting a vinegar mixture with essential oils? It helps cover up the vinegar smell (which, in my experience, dissipates pretty quickly, anyway).

Wendi

I love Mrs. Meyer's lavender all-purpose cleaner (and ironing spray... oh, yum). I like SalSuds, or just regular Dr. Bronner's liquid soap, too, but I absolutely love the Mrs. M's.

Thanks Kathy and Angela. I think the Mrs. Meyer's is the lavender soap I used at someone else's house one time that I loved. I couldn't remember the name of it!

I love Dr. Bronner's soaps. I use them for my body and face -- I didn't know about using his products for general cleansing. I love the almond, lavender, and peppermint!

I second Mrs. Meyers. I love the lavendar. The geranium is ok. I don't really like the lemon verbena. I lovelovelove the gingerbread and honeysuckle but those were limited time and I didn't see the gingerbread this winter so I bet the honeysuckle won't be out either. :001_unsure:

The gingerbread was replaced with peppermint this year. :glare:

Oh, but the Baby Blossom...:svengo: Alas, it only comes in pre-mixed surface spray.

I have to laugh at my husband - I use the ironing spray on his uniform shirt collars and he's called from work before to report that he keeps catching a whiff of something yummy, only do discover later in the day it's him.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Unlike you, I still use vinegar, but I mix it with a dash of thyme oil or tea tree oil for disinfecting purposes. The thyme really masks the smell...but then, it doesn't give me a headache.

Plain baking soda is terrific as a cleanser for sinks and tubs.

BioKleen makes some great products, but they can be spendy. I find the same to be true of the Mrs. Meyers stuff. Great, lovely smelling, but expensive, imo.

Bio Pac (which I get through our food co-op) makes a concentrated cleaner which I use diluted for mopping, dish washing, and occasional hand washing. Comes in one gallon bottles - very economical.

Dr. B's is also an economical choice if you're not buying from a specialty store where the price tends to get hiked up. Sal Suds is a favorite here.

I'm a Method girl all the way...their "Le Scrub" -- got red pepper stains out of my white Corian sink that headache-inducing SoftS*rub couldn't get out. The scrubby part is finely ground marble. The scent is a lovely eucalyptus mint.

Their dishwashing soap (liquid for hand washing) is really, really good. Huge bubbles, no irritation, and does the job really well. While the pink grapefruit scent is really lovely, the unscented ("Go Naked") is actually my favorite...it's naturally sweet-smelling just from their ingredients.

I haven't found a clunker Method item yet... T*rget puts it on sale quite often for great prices.

I am primarily looking for an all-purpose cleaner I can use on bathtubs, sinks, counters and floors.

Aside from the old standbys you mentioned ~ and you can always add in a drop or two of essential oil to vinegar/water ~ consider Biokleen's All-Purpose Cleaner.