Menu

How long is your middle-schooler's school day?

About how many hours of school per week for your middle-schooler?  

1. 1. About how many hours of school per week for your middle-schooler?

• Less than 20 hours a week (core subjects, not extracurricular)
    • Around 20 hours a week (about 4 hours a day, if a 5-day school week)
    • Around 25 hours a week (about 5 hours a day, if a 5-day school week)
    • Around 30 hours a week
    • Around 35 hours a week
    • More than 35 hours a week
    • Other

6th grade? that sounds about right. altho my 5th grde is having some tough spots currently and is having a hard time getting his assignments done by dinner.

7th and 8th grade we step it up considerably, they need to be home from 9 - 12 and 1 - 3 at least 3 days out of the week, and really it needs to be 4 to avoid too much pressure.

Yes, my 6th grader averages 5 hours a day. I'm hoping 7th grade won't go over 6 hours a day but it depends on so many factors. My previous experience tells me that it's going to be much more work for us.

ETA: This is just at home work. She has a few classes and activities outside this.

Edited by True Blue

The length of our day depends greatly on her attention span. There are some days that she takes an hour and a half to finish 30min of work. When she is on task, we can finish everything in 3-4 solid hours. On a bad day, we're working 5 or 6. She receives 18-20 hours of work each week. I voted in the 25 category because that's about how much we do. Is there a pulling out my hair smiley?

Calvin works from nine to five, four and a half days a week, with an extra half day off for book group once a month. He gets an hour off for lunch, half an hour for a break, and the time also includes a half-hour run (as well as three languages, recorder, RE, art and art history). If he doesn't get through his list of work during the week, then he finishes up at the weekend.

Laura

My 10 yo dd usually starts by 10 and finishes by 3. Thurs. are our activity day (park, library, errands, etc.). She goes to dance for 2 hours on Tues. evening. She also reads daily (usually) for as little as 30 minutes or as long as several hours (until the wee hours of the night if I let her).

My 6th grade dd told me yesterday that most of her friends finish their school work by 1:00 every day and still spend the full day at co-op on Fridays. How long is your middle-schooler's school day?

That pretty much fits my 7th grader... co-op once per week, finished around 1:00 on the other days. One qualifier I should make is that his co-op is an academic one, where he has core subjects, so it really does count as a true school day. Also, he is a fast, focused worker, as well. He can get a lot done between 9:00 and 1:00. On an average day, during that time he does Rod and Staff Math, Rod and Staff Grammar, BJU Science, Elementary Greek, Keys to Algebra, French, History, piano, and works on his co-op homework. Then he does assigned reading later in the day during our quiet time. That is plenty for one school day, imo.

I would imagine that some kids his age might take quite a bit longer to do that same amount of work. So speed of the student is something to take into account when considering how long a student's day is.

My 7th grader can tend to take longer on subjects when she's drifting as well. On a good day she flies through everything, but sometimes...

That being said, I figured up that she does about 20-22 hrs. on core subjects per week with an additional 10/11 hrs. on extra curricular. Those would include music(concert band, chorus, marching band), a spanish tutor, and swimming. That brings the total to about 30-33hrs a week. So, how should I vote? Core subjects only, or combined?

We don't do any evening activities, so we are usually home by 4:15, unless I'm babysitting(once a week).

Her day starts at 9a and goes until between 4-5:30 depending on what activity was scheduled that day. We are out of the house once per day for about an hour. All activities are within 10 mins of the house, music is 25mins, but she spends 3 hrs. there.

Ava

Edited by Dani n Monies Mom

My dd is also in 6th grade. She is finished with school by about 2:00 and we are finished by lunch on Fridays. We start about 9:00.

Thats about us too.

The older 2 are doing grade 5 & 6.

We aim to start by 9 ( though when summer really hits- well start later so kids can play in mornings)

We tend to finish around 12.30 for a bite to eat then back to the books until around 2pm.

Thursday, is the end of our week( we school Sun- Thurs), so we finish at lunchtimes.

No co-op to work around, but if out and about- we still do about 5 hrs of work a day.