Menu

I got my Kindle 2!

First impression - yes it's cool, but the background is grey not white like I expected. The contrast is not like a real book. It's no classic ipod or computer but it's going to be great to be able to read many books without carrying around a pile. The voice isn't bad either but again it's not like listening to a good book from audible.com - I can load those but haven't figured that out yet.

Off to play with my Kindle!

First impression - yes it's cool, but the background is grey not white like I expected. The contrast is not like a real book. It's no classic ipod or computer but it's going to be great to be able to read many books without carrying around a pile. The voice isn't bad either but again it's not like listening to a good book from audible.com - I can load those but haven't figured that out yet.

Off to play with my Kindle!

Yay! Mine is supposed to arrive on Thursday. (Got some b-day $$... couldn't resist!!)

Enjoy. Mine was shipped yesterday so should be here soon. If you figure out the audible download, let me know.

Got mine in the mail yesterday. The mailman thinks I am some kinda weirdo now because I was waiting for him!!

So far, I have only played around a little and downloaded SWB's new book. I love that I can make the font bigger and I did get the $30 leather cover from Amazon to protect the screen. It's really nice for the money.

I'm looking forward to downloading some books on there via the computer but haven't had the time yet because of all the reading I am doing about high school via TWEM and TWTM.

Are you enjoying it? My birthday is coming up and you've got me looking into getting one! Is it easy to read? I think I would like being able to adjust the font size. Did you get a case?

Happy reading!

I'm still disappointed that the contrast is low compared to a computer - the background is much greyer than the pictures on Amazon and there is no way to adjust it.

I can change the font size. I, too, have to wear bifocals; I change the font size to larger at night and smaller during the day.

I love that many of the AO books (classics) are available for $0 -$4 and are available in different versions (simple text vs Enriched Classics). I love that I can download samples of books and read the first chapter.

I downloaded Holy Bible ESV for free (it doesn't have the version I want yet - NRSV). My ds asked me if I was going to take the Kindle to Bible study instead of my BIble. I said, "OH, I didn't think of that!" Makes it very easy to search.

I downloaded 4 different versions of Bulfinch's Mythology and chose the $3.19 one (the highest price) because it was by Modern Classics and was the nicest.

I'm receiving a 14 day free trial subscription to the NY Times and I LOVE it! Yes, you can read it free online but I like that I have only one article to look at a time and not get distracted by all the other info that the online version shows (plus no ads).

I read many books during the course of a day and I can go back & forth without carrying around or finding that book I was reading.

I like that I can read Kindle and then go to text to speech and listen for awhile. The voice is male/female and it's too bad.

I still love my classic ipod and my membership to audible.com but now I will not be fighting with my dc over my ipod (yes, they have their own ipods but it doesn't have the memory of mine). I have loaded a audible book onto my Kindle but haven't figured out how to get to chapter 2! It started at the beginning of the book and then clicks forward to chapter 8 in War, Peace and All that Jazz - Hakim. Audible book voice is the same on ipod or Kindle.

I will still use the library and be judicious with my Kindle purchases but it's a GREAT TOOL!

My older ds wants one so he doesn't have to lug around all his textbooks - sorry they aren't available on Kindle - YET. When writing his paragraph on Old Man & the Sea, this week, he said it would have been nice to use the Kindle search feature to come up with quotes for his paragraph. Cool idea but he read the book last week and I wasn't going to buy Old Man & the Sea Kindle version, ($10) just so he could use the search feature.

The $30 leather padded case was WELL worth the money. It hinges in very nicely. Now I need a light which I didn't want to buy because it adds to the bulk of the total device.

So far on my Kindle:

Pillars of the Earth

Autobio. of Ben Franklin

The Black Arrow

Poems Every Child Should Know

Holy Bible

Familiar Quotations

NY Times

War, Peace and All that Jazz - audio from audible.com membership - I loaded

Bulfinch's Mythology

Enriched Classics Hard Times

History of the World - sample

One Year Bible - sample

The Oxford book of Children's Poetry - sample

Mine came yesterday! A day early, yippee!

First impressions:

Pros: I like the way it looks; I like the cover (the $30 "official K2" leather cover, separate purchase) but wish it (the cover) had a clasp to keep it shut; It's actually heavier than I expected, but WAY lighter than a large hardcover; It's easy to download books; It's easy to read from; It's easy to hold with one hand; It's pretty intuitive to use... I found the User's Guide helpful too, though!; All in all, I love it so far.

Cons: The price is darn steep. It may end up paying for itself, but it might take two years (for me). Just. Don't. Look. At. The. Accessories. Just don't do it. Get an adequate cover and you're good to go. Pretend the pretty skins and expensive covers aren't there to choose from.

Adjustments: I got caught up in the book I was reading easily... just like with a regular book. I got so caught up, that I found myself frustrated when I lifted my hand to physically turn the page (old habits die hard) and I also found myself shifting my focus automatically up and to the left after refreshing the page (as you would when reading a paper book after flipping the page) instead of right to the top of the Kindle page.

ETA: One more adjustment... Even though the Kindle has a progress bar at the bottom on the screen, so you can see how much you have left to read, I found myself startled when the first book I read ended. You know when a paper book is about to end as the pages run out. With the Kindle, I have to remember to check that progress bar!

I have not even tried the text to speech or Audible (audiobook) features! The Dictionary is handy.

Yes, you can download books from other sites, but have to convert them to the Amazon file type before it formats correctly. I think this is accomplished by emailing them to the Kindle itself, and Amazon converts the file for you for a 10 cent fee. I haven't done it yet, but the details are available at Amazon.com.

It hasn't left my side since I got it. :)

Edited by Mekanamom