Menu

S/O... Do you consider their future when choosing your child's name?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did indeed work at a school where there was a little girl named

Clinique.

Because her mom thought it sounded pretty, as it was something sold in a very expensive (to her) department store.

At the risk of sounding cliche', Clinique is sort of elegant and hoity-toity sounding!:D

Ima Hogg (pronounced "I'm a hog) was a governor's daughter from a wealthy, influential Texas family in the late 1800's. Just a cruel and unusual name!!!!

Richard Hogg, up the road, sells mobile homes... his plates say RichHog :001_huh:

My mother's OBGYN was named Dr. Ovary.

I had one named Dr. Kil (kill, that made me super comfortable).

Oh OH Oh...my husband's cousin's first name is Candida. Her mom didn't know it was the name of a yeast infection until AFTER she named her that! Can you IMAGINE the ridicule she received as a teenager?

At least she could go by Candy, which is a real name. Not very presidential sounding. Or if she has a good middle name, she could go by C. Middlename Lastname.

My mother has gone by a self-chosen nickname since she was 15 due to her unusual name given to her because of heritage country tradition (eldest daughter gets maternal grandmother's given name). She even puts that first on legal documents (has all her adult life, so no big deal now). I don't think my grandmother had any idea of how hard that name was. And ugly sounding. Plus, not a female name to begin with. No, I won't tell you as it's that rare some nefarious, anonymous type could find her.