Menu

Time line - feeling guilty....

annabanana1992

We use the Homeschool in the Woods CD for our figures. If you go to this area on their site, it is about Timeline helps. I use the horizontal format which I created easily in Word, printed out on cardstock, and put in a binder. Every few weeks I will print out several figures and my son colors, cuts and pastes them.

We don't do it every week because I am not that organized. Besides, he enjoys revisiting the people and time periods and it keeps all that info fresh. FWIW, a timeline is really not recommended until the logic stage in the WTM if I remember correctly, so don't beat yourself up. ;) There is another go around to do a timeline.

I finally hung mine up this past week. I bought the time line from Rod and Staff as I wanted the biblical time line to be our basis. It's about 14 laminated sheets of paper - so it's pretty long - but you can read everything on it. I used painters tape to hold it up without damaging the wall. Then I printed out figures for SOTW 1 from Hannah's helps (you can google it - it's a yahoo group) and we added those to the R&S time line. It was actually really fun, it looks nice (we hung it out of the main living areas) and the kdis LOVE to look at it. It's also LOW - so the kids and I can sit on the ground and look at it and talk.

WTM says not to bother with a timeline at that age, that they aren't thinking in a way to synthesize or find it useful anyway. It would be *you* doing it, not him. Toss your guilt! We're just dabbling in one now, at the end of 4th, and she's starting to find it useful. There are plenty of things that one actually could feel guilty about (handwriting, math fact speed, uh, the essentials?), so don't feel guilty about skipping timelines. You'll know when he's ready for one, because he'll actually start ACTING interested, noticing them in books and looking at them. At least that's what my dd did. So I say wait, move on, find better things to worry about. :)

If it makes you feel better, mine is purchased, 1/4 of the figures taught, colored, and laminated, but it's not yet assembled.

We move a lot and I was trying to figure out the best way to assemble it that would survive the 4 to 6 moves we'll likely make over the next 8 years we'll be using our timeline. I'm not mechanically inclined, so I was waiting until my husband got back from a deployment to help me figure out the best way to assemble it. He came up with a great suggestion a few days ago, but I have yet to actually do anything about it.

This is what I have: http://www.jkschooling.com/

I don't like how they have it set up in a big loopy S shape, I'm going to make mine left to right across the room (I bought twice as many blue backer papers and will just cut out the straight pieces.)

I liked it best of all the ones I saw at two different conventions in two states (one of the benefits of moving a lot, a wide variety of homeschool conventions and speakers!)

The figures are based on MOH, but they're common things you'd want with just about any program and they have blank figures of each type so you can make more.

The lady who designed the timeline was very helpful with ideas about how to use it and also with instruction about how to use rubber cement with the laminated figures. I also like the shape correspondence--all the biblical events are in circles, all the ideas are in lightbulbs, etc.

I do like the timeline, and we may use MOH later, but it's too advanced for us now. The 1/4 of the figures my daughter has colored so far are all from the Bible, those were easy to find and read to my daughter. Coloring in the figures really increased her attention span and interest, she enjoyed coloring them in and listening to whole paragraphs and chapters of the Bible for each figure (she generally did a page of figures a day, we do history once or twice a week.)

So, now I'm trying to figure out what to do for the rest of the figures and how we want to do history for the rest of the year. (And, I probably need to assemble the timeline, as well, but I don't want to assemble it until I have a plan for the rest of the figures or my daughter will want to color them all and learn about them. So, don't worry, I won't make you feel guilty anytime soon.)

WTM says not to bother with a timeline at that age, that they aren't thinking in a way to synthesize or find it useful anyway. It would be *you* doing it, not him. Toss your guilt! We're just dabbling in one now, at the end of 4th, and she's starting to find it useful. There are plenty of things that one actually could feel guilty about (handwriting, math fact speed, uh, the essentials?), so don't feel guilty about skipping timelines. You'll know when he's ready for one, because he'll actually start ACTING interested, noticing them in books and looking at them. At least that's what my dd did. So I say wait, move on, find better things to worry about. :)

I'm not worrying about mine, and my daughter probably won't get much out of it, but I will, and I would like to see how the events line up visually. I got a really spotty, poor history education, especially ancient world history, so I'm interested to see them in a timeline, I don't really have a good feel for what happened when. That's part of why I'm homeschooling, and also why I'm looking forward to teaching history in the context of a timeline!

I do, however, have a really good grasp of when all the wars happened and the history of weaponry, I got 4 years of military history!

We're using a book that I created - simple cardstock cover with blank timeline pages from Our Los Banos, spiral bound by Kinko's and figures from Homeschool in the Woods. Now, we've got this monstrously big, but *gorgeous*, timeline up on our wall also. The kids don't much enjoy coloring and pasting timeline figures into their book every week, but they do love popping up to look at our timeline on the wall when we learn about someone new!

I ditto OhElizabeth. Last June I heard SWB speak at our local homeschool conference and she said to use the timeline for older kids. I had great ideas to use timelines (my eldest is 8yo) and have now decided to wait until the second go around of the history cycle. Now I am seeing the great joy of filling my kids minds with the wonderful stories of history.

I didn't start a timeline until logic stage (fifth grade). I actually bought a timeline book from Peace Hill Press at convention last spring and have modified it for our usage. It's working out just dandy.

I'm using the review cards from the SOTW activity guides, snipping and pasting them in, as well as having my son write in some info and then I've found stickers or have printed out thumbnail pictures from online to use for other photos as we go along. We'll be using it through eighth grade.

I am looking for you BEST time line ideas and resources - please help me alleviate the guilt....

Well, I could either give you ideas, OR I could help alleviate your guilt....I choose alleviating guilt - wait til later! ;) I agree with what the others said about waiting til around age 10 or 11. The purpose of it for kids is to see the events and start making connections between them. Younger kids don't really do that yet.