Menu

Do all older dogs get grouchy?

We have an exclusively outdoor dog who is around 8 years old now. He's half Lab, half SharPei and has always been a big, squishy, lump of love. :lol: We have had an indoor dog for the past year (he's around 3 or 4 years old) and Harley sniffs him every now and again when Monkey goes outside - but otherwise ignores him.

My 3 kids play in the backyard, separate from the big dog. They are only outside with the big dog if I'm in one of the back rooms and can see them clearly. The kids are gentle with him and he's never had a problem at all.

Last year, he snipped at dh when dh moved him out of the garage when he'd snuck in. He was refusing to move and dh was having to sort of shove him out the door and he snarled at him. For the first time ever.

In the past few months, he's started growling at the little dog if he gets too near his food dish or a treat (he's previously not cared a bit). He's made a very low, warning growl to ds (6) when ds was straddling him like a horse (NOT sitting on him - and the dog was actually laying down - and ds just straddled the dog, pretending he was going to "ride" him - something he's done at least a million times over the years).

He's well-fed, getting the same amount of attention he's received every winter for the past 8 years of his life (less than summertime - but we still spend time with him a few of times a day). He still gets treats as often as ever....

Is he just getting old? Should I start to worry about the little dog being outside with him? He's a big, beefy, very strong dog and could eat our poodle for an appetizer! lol He's just always been such a sweetie - I'm not really sure what to do with his newly grouchy self! :001_huh:

Before this grouchy spell, he'd let Monkey crawl all over him while he'd lay down, let Monkey eat out of his dish. If we tossed him a treat while Monkey was outside, he'd ignore it until we all went back inside. Now, he's on the treat like a magnet, standing over it. If Monkey gets too close, he growls.

fwiw - He is not neutered - but Monkey (the poodle) is.

:confused:

I'm trying to remember the dogs I had when I was younger. One lived to be around 15, the other was around 12. I know that they, too, got grouchy when they got older BUT they were tiny, toy POODLES and I didn't have small children or smaller dogs involved, so it just wasn't an issue. You just knew to not surprise the little dog, or you might get snapped at. lol And I am pretty sure they weren't grumpy at 8 years old.

it sounds like your dog may be getting a bit arthritic or have some other health issues. He's complaining about being moved, or somebody sitting or jumping on him, right?

My 7yr old lab mix isn't so tolerant of our puppy anymore either, he's got his routine down - morning nap, afternoon nap......

I don't know otherwise, lots of people get grouchy when they get older too, and it's usually health related in some way.

Yes, you should be concerned. Dogs that have been "love lumps" all their life can get grouchy in old age. I agree with Moooooom (love that name, I hear it all day) that there could be an underlying arthritis issue or something else. Dogs do get dementia which changes their personalities. Feeding a diet with joint supplements and anti-oxidants may help a little. I would no longer trust this dog with the little dog or your dc. You should instruct dc to respect your dog's space. Neutering at this point will not change his personality. A dog that begins to disrespect his people is an accident waiting to happen and you may have to make a difficult decision in the near future. Sorry if I sound harsh but I have seen the tragic results of dc getting too close to a grouchy dog and having wounds that are physical and emotional that can last for a very long time. Be very careful.

See if your vet will prescribe something for arthritis, like Rimadyl and maybe that will improve his attitude as well.

My old golden retriever (now deceased) was a complete sweetheart to every human and animal she met, until she was about 7-8. Then, on our walks, she occasionally started growling at other dogs! Then it was horses, and so on, so that I became anxious on our walks, watching for other animals.

Our current dog, an Aussie/border collie mix - same thing. She's 12 now and only tolerates one other dog, her "best friend" who is another mutt belonging to friends of ours. And now their dog, who just turned 7, has become aggressive towards other dogs (except for ours)...she used to play with other dogs easily all the time.

I really can't attribute the behaviors of these 3 dogs to arthritis. Maybe it is dementia, or maybe they went to some doggie assertiveness training thing.

Our dog, Fred, got grouchy around the same time. He was still a good dog and only really snapped at one person (the kid earned it). I think most dogs, and people, get a little less flexible as they get older. I used to tell people Fred was old and crotchety, if he wants you to pet him, he'll let you know, otherwise, leave him alone.

Yes, you should be concerned. Dogs that have been "love lumps" all their life can get grouchy in old age. I agree with Moooooom (love that name, I hear it all day) that there could be an underlying arthritis issue or something else. Dogs do get dementia which changes their personalities. Feeding a diet with joint supplements and anti-oxidants may help a little. I would no longer trust this dog with the little dog or your dc. You should instruct dc to respect your dog's space. Neutering at this point will not change his personality. A dog that begins to disrespect his people is an accident waiting to happen and you may have to make a difficult decision in the near future. Sorry if I sound harsh but I have seen the tragic results of dc getting too close to a grouchy dog and having wounds that are physical and emotional that can last for a very long time. Be very careful.

See if your vet will prescribe something for arthritis, like Rimadyl and maybe that will improve his attitude as well.

Thank you for finding this post (I don't know about "social groups" here- I'll have to figure that out) I'll talk to our vet about the arthritis meds. He does seem stiffer than usual some days - I just chalked it up to being wintertime.

I knew a girl who was attacked by their family pet/large dog. He did some major damage to the girls' face. My own dd was bitten on the face by a stranger dog (at the park), so it's something I'm very concerned about. I've been concerned even before - when Harley was nothing by a lump of loving! :)

I'll make sure the kids are well aware of what's going on. It seems sad to have to leave him alone more often because of his grouchiness - when it seems he needs more attention! But, the kids really do seem to actually annoy him lately. :( I guess I'll fill in for their lack of attention. He seems to still really like dh and I (unless dh is trying to move his heavy self somewhere he doesn't want to go!)

From the older dogs I've know, yes they do. Being that he is always outside, would that have something to do with it, lonely perhaps, does he get played with much, cold. Could you bring him in for the winters and love him up? Also, it's never to late to get a dog fixed.

He's inside the garage when it's cold outside. But, he definitely can't come in. He is Master Destroyer and chews/mauls/destroys everything in sight. He's chewed our trees in the backyard, destroyed the bushes, chewed up the kids swingset years ago, frogs and birds in his backyard are playthings! lol So - no coming inside.

Our vet also told us that having him fixed wouldn't change his personality (I asked her years ago when he hadn't outgrown his destroying-everything phase, lol)

Thanks for the replies!! I was hoping it was just a passing phase. We've ALWAYS had itty bitty dogs, so this is the first time dealing with a large/potentially dangerous dog as he ages. :confused: It's time for his yearly shots and he hates riding in the car (it scares him to death). I'm not enthusiastic about forcing him in the vehicle. :glare: Argh.

Thank you for finding this post (I don't know about "social groups" here- I'll have to figure that out) I'll talk to our vet about the arthritis meds. He does seem stiffer than usual some days - I just chalked it up to being wintertime.

I knew a girl who was attacked by their family pet/large dog. He did some major damage to the girls' face. My own dd was bitten on the face by a stranger dog (at the park), so it's something I'm very concerned about. I've been concerned even before - when Harley was nothing by a lump of loving! :)

I'll make sure the kids are well aware of what's going on. It seems sad to have to leave him alone more often because of his grouchiness - when it seems he needs more attention! But, the kids really do seem to actually annoy him lately. :( I guess I'll fill in for their lack of attention. He seems to still really like dh and I (unless dh is trying to move his heavy self somewhere he doesn't want to go!)

He's inside the garage when it's cold outside. But, he definitely can't come in. He is Master Destroyer and chews/mauls/destroys everything in sight. He's chewed our trees in the backyard, destroyed the bushes, chewed up the kids swingset years ago, frogs and birds in his backyard are playthings! lol So - no coming inside.

Our vet also told us that having him fixed wouldn't change his personality (I asked her years ago when he hadn't outgrown his destroying-everything phase, lol)

Thanks for the replies!! I was hoping it was just a passing phase. We've ALWAYS had itty bitty dogs, so this is the first time dealing with a large/potentially dangerous dog as he ages. :confused: It's time for his yearly shots and he hates riding in the car (it scares him to death). I'm not enthusiastic about forcing him in the vehicle. :glare: Argh.

How many walks a day does he get? Once you get the arthritis issue resolved, this sounds like a dog that should be walking often.

I've 2 dogs and neither got grouchy as they got older. My black lab I had from 8 weeks 'til his death in my lap at 13 years old. He could barely walk at the end and would still lick our faces (anyone who let him :tongue_smilie: ). My boxer I had for 7 years until she died with my then 9 yo ds's arms wrapped around her. She came to us as an adult and we think she was 13 (almost 14) when she died. The last month of her life my kids would gather her in their arms and curl up with her. My ds 9 would lay next to her and pull her body on top of him. She was NEVER grouchy. She would snuggle closer.

I guess it depends on the dog.

never mind.

All I'll say is I do not agree with dogs living outside.

Well -that was snarky enough thankyouverymuch.

He "lives" outside. This is not to say that he is left outside when weather is bad, etc. He gets a ton of attention - our family is outside - a LOT. We do schoolwork outside in our backyard - WITH Harley flopped on one of our laps while we read. He is interacted with a LOT. Not ignored. when I say that, in wintertime, we spend time with him a few times a day - that is actual spending TIME with him. Not waltzing outside, giving him a frivolous pat on the head and calling it good - we actually PLAY with him. Our winters are mild where we live, it's not as if he's in a frozen tundra out there.

sheesh. :glare:

As far as walks - he gets "walked" once a day. He is outside, in a LARGE backyard area. He is not cooped up in some itty bitty, teeny postage stamp of a backyard. Our neighbors next door also have an outdoor dog - the neighbors behind us have 3 outdoor-only dogs. Neighbors on the other side of us? Yep - an outdoor only dog. Nearly every member of our immediate family has outdoor-only (and well cared for) dogs! This dog would be absolutely miserable cooped up most of the time in our house. He needs room to move!

Our vet sees him regularly. She is always surprised when she sees his age because (until very recently) he has always been so "young."

It amazes me that people think a dog would be happier living in a house, getting walked twice a day, than outdoors roaming around with his own free will and neighbors dogs to sniff and and "talk to" through the gates.

Being outside has nothing to do with his grumpiness of late. IF he is arthritic - that definitely could contribute to it - the vet and I will discuss that.

I'm so irritated. This dog is so well cared for and loved it's just not even funny. :glare:

Well -that was snarky enough thankyouverymuch.

He "lives" outside. This is not to say that he is left outside when weather is bad, etc. He gets a ton of attention - our family is outside - a LOT. We do schoolwork outside in our backyard - WITH Harley flopped on one of our laps while we read. He is interacted with a LOT. Not ignored. when I say that, in wintertime, we spend time with him a few times a day - that is actual spending TIME with him. Not waltzing outside, giving him a frivolous pat on the head and calling it good - we actually PLAY with him. Our winters are mild where we live, it's not as if he's in a frozen tundra out there.

sheesh. :glare:

As far as walks - he gets "walked" once a day. He is outside, in a LARGE backyard area. He is not cooped up in some itty bitty, teeny postage stamp of a backyard. Our neighbors next door also have an outdoor dog - the neighbors behind us have 3 outdoor-only dogs. Neighbors on the other side of us? Yep - an outdoor only dog. Nearly every member of our immediate family has outdoor-only (and well cared for) dogs! This dog would be absolutely miserable cooped up most of the time in our house. He needs room to move!

Our vet sees him regularly. She is always surprised when she sees his age because (until very recently) he has always been so "young."

It amazes me that people think a dog would be happier living in a house, getting walked twice a day, than outdoors roaming around with his own free will and neighbors dogs to sniff and and "talk to" through the gates.

Being outside has nothing to do with his grumpiness of late. IF he is arthritic - that definitely could contribute to it - the vet and I will discuss that.

I'm so irritated. This dog is so well cared for and loved it's just not even funny. :glare:

I'm not pointing fingers about your dog being outside!

But there is a difference between him roaming free in his yard and being on a purposeful walk. That is not me being snarky. It is not criticizing you to say a dog can benefit from walks.

Orangearrow, it's just not natural for you to take a dog and force them to survive outside. For centuries, dogs and wolves have lived in warm homes, sleeping on couches. Did you know, they actually spay and neuter themselves in the wild in order to control their population? It wasn't until evil men came and enslaved them, forcing them out of their warm little bungalows that dogs forgot how to 'fix' themselves. What a cruel, vicious, unnatural owner you are! For shame!!!!!

watch your feet, there's sarcasm all over the place!