Menu

DD preschool questions

amyinva

I have a 3.5yo who is getting really restless during schooltime, and wants to join in. She knows all of her letters and letter sounds, colors, shapes, etc. I don't want to spend a lot of money, and I really do not have a lot of extra time on my hands, but this kid is starting to drive me batty while I am trying to work with the others. Her coordination with a pencil is not all that great yet, but we haven't worked on it, either.

Any ideas for what to do with her at this early age? My other kids always had a buddy to play with, and didn't learn this stuff so early, so I haven't had to deal with this until they were practically Kindergarten age and ready to start phonics and HWOT.

She keeps telling me she wants to work, too!

thank you, Amy

When DD was 3 we got the Lauri alphabet puzzle and used it to spell words with the letters and learn how to sound them out. You have already used a phonics program? Then you can use the rules and word list from that and just use it with the letters, since she can't write well yet. I also played go fish and bingo, and some other games recommended on the Accelerated-Achievement demo disk, at $3 it is a great investment.

For math, there are games that you could all play together that are recommended as well.

I would also get her some small manipulatives like lacing beads, sticker books, colorforms, lightbright, chalkboard etc, to get her finger muscles ready for writing.

Kumon books are always recommended. I have not used them nor have I seen them, but you could check them out.

Around that age, my DD started Developing the Early Learner, Kumon Let's Cut, and Kumon More Let's Fold. We've both liked them very much! Gaining scissor skills has been great for her. I plan to get them for my DS to start at the end of the summer (he'll be just over 3 1/2). He's just started About Three (link in sig) but I'm not terribly impressed with it. It's just alot of tracing lines, at least in this first book in the set. Early Learner is much better, imo, and worth the price.

Oh, and DD also loved Kumon First Book of Mazes when she was about your dd's age... maybe closer to 4... I really don't remember!

We love the Kumon workbooks there are some geared to over 2's called Let's Colour, Let's Cut etc and they are great for building pencil skills. My DS really loved these this last year so from 2 to 3. Now at 3 he has started Get set for the Code Book A, but he is still working on letter sounds so they are a good place for him. We have also started 100 Easy Lessons and use Before Five in a Row when i have access to the books through ILL.

He also loves puzzels, threading games, playing Beetle (i think you call it Cootie?), colouring.

Why not do activity bags? It would have something to do with learning and something that only came during school time.

There are also some great activity books at the dollar store.

Have the older child sit with her and do starfall.com when possible.

Have her sit in and do what she can with the 6 yr old.

Ask her what her definition of school work is and what exactly she wants to do.

I like the Kumon workbooks too. We've done the cutting, pasting, and folding books. There's also a pre-writing book that is pretty good - teaches how to draw straight lines, spirals, zig-zags, circles, some easy mazes, things like that.

I agree that lacing cards, beads, etc. would be great. Also, when my dd was first learning to read she LOVED those books that come with a cd where the book is read to you and it tells you when to turn the page. She couldn't read most of the words but she enjoyed following along. Color by number and connect the dots are good too.

I did Webster's Speller on a whiteboard when my daughter was in K, that worked well, and it's start with 2 letter blends should be good for a young student. The link below explains how.

I also have some ideas that work well for a young student here:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/newstudents.html

For that age, I would do oral spelling and "writing" with magnetic letters if you want to try some spelling and "writing."

You could also do skip counting and work with math manipulatives, my daughter enjoyed manipulatives at that age. She also did some basic phonics work out of a few phonics books--I had not yet discovered Webster or we would have done that.

Amber,

I don't remember there being a bunch of Bible Verses, except in the Bible Coloring Book (Book B). If I remember correctly, there might have been one or two per book, but I'm not sure. It's been 3 years now...yikes!! Even though we are Christian, we did very little with verses at that level. I let dd go through the books as she wanted (but in order cause they do progress in difficulty). They are great little books.

My 3.5 (almost 4yo now) has been doing the following this year during school time:

plays with pattern blocks at a separate table so he can make as big a mess as he wants and he doesn't disturb his sisters

plays with his vehicles, a big bucket of colored trucks, planes, boats, buses that are meant for math manipulatives - he sorts them and lines them up for hours

stickers and paper - and he has some workbooks for when he wants to practice holding a pencil

When my dd5 was 3 all she ever wanted to do for "school" was to craft so she had several Kumon type workbooks with little crafts and puzzles that she did daily.

Our house is all open in the front so the TV would stop all work for everyone; we use it for school only during the day (Latin DVD's mostly). He also loves the leapfrog letter factory but he has to wait until the afternoon to watch it. HTH

We use Get Ready for the Code workbooks. (Beginner level to the Explode the Code phonics series). They work on basic letter formation, sounds in a fun way. We also use the Kumon workbooks for cutting practice. We have also started 100 Easy Lessons between age 3 and 4.

HTH.

Gretchen