Menu

Do you know roughly how many read-alouds & readers you buy per semester (or year)?

Blessedfamily

Particularly for elementary and middle school. I know you probably don't count- an estimate will do.

Just trying to get some idea as I'm stocking up on read-alouds and readers.

:bigear:

I forgot to add- can state whether your total includes books that are part of your history or other curriculum?

Edited by Blessedfamily

Buy? What is this "buy"? :) I may buy 2 or 3, borrow half a dozen hard to come by books from a friend who has the world's biggest homeschool collection, and the rest come from the library. I know we're lucky to have such a great library system (we pay .50 to have a book sent from another library in our county, but it's worth it.) A rough guess for 6th grade would be 36 readers and 10 to 15 read alouds, not including straight history.

-Maura

Buy? What is this "buy"? :) I may buy 2 or 3, borrow half a dozen hard to come by books from a friend who has the world's biggest homeschool collection, and the rest come from the library. I know we're lucky to have such a great library system (we pay .50 to have a book sent from another library in our county, but it's worth it.) A rough guess for 6th grade would be 36 readers and 10 to 15 read alouds, not including straight history.

-Maura

:lol:

Thanks for mentioning history. I edited the OP to clarify, so I can get an idea of the number of books people buy not including straight history.

There are some books I want her to read, but I don't necessarily want to buy. Those we'll get from the library.

I use several reading lists, including some from curriculum companies. It's tricky weeding through and trying to find the books I think dd will want to read over and over.

Reviews can vary so much on Amazon, I really like being able to "look inside" a book before I purchase.

I buy 98% of our books. Our library doesn't have hours when we can get there, plus their selection is not the greatest. I utilize thrift stores, clearance tables, and paperbackswap for some of ours.

We've read 12 read alouds so far this year, ds has done 14 readers. About 40% of those are history/science related.

I sell some of the books when we are done, but I'm trying to build a home library collection so I keep the better ones.

I could almost have my feelings hurt, except that my daughter (who is older) still loves to have me read aloud to her. So, I think it's just a personality thing.

Anyway, we quit even attempting read-alouds late last year.

In terms of readers for him, I bought about 20 history-related books this year, plus a few more for science.

I'm not sure if we're counting fun/free reading here, too? If so, we're trying to get some of those from the library. But I would guess he'll read about 50 books this year.

I buy our curriculum, and coloring books.

I do not buy readers - or books to read specifically for school- (with the exception that I did by the 3 sets of Bob Books that they had at Costco).

We have tons of books - most were given to us or bought at Goodwill - some were left over from dh and my childhoods.

We buy books that interest the kids on holidays (dh bought dd7 a new Disney Fairies book for Valentines day). The last few years they have been Magic Treehouse books for dd7.

The library is our friend - I go through my booklists once a week and order whatever I can, and pick them up a few days later (or ask my husband pick them up on his way home from work).

We do four or five read-alouds per year. We buy those.

For this year, I bought 36 literature books (some purchased over the years at the used bookstore, et cetera) and probably about 50 history books.

We have a library system. You have to get things sent to the closest branch, though, and we're bad about returning things on time. I have (at least) two more that will use the books. Plus, dd will re-read them on her own. For us, it's worth the expense.

Zero, unless you count the 1940's second-grade reader I got my daughter for Christmas because she loved the first-grade one (which belonged to my dad) so much.

Why buy when the library's free?

ETA: As far as wanting to read a book again, the library lets us do that, too. We just check it out again. ;)

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

It's tricky weeding through and trying to find the books I think dd will want to read over and over.

You could always use all the books your library has. If some turn out to be really great (i.e., would be re-read a lot in your house), then buy them. That way, you can avoid buying duds.