Menu

Singapore Math.....

And so I've decided to take the plunge and purchase Singapore as a supplemental program for my dd8. I've been on the message boards trying to figure out what I should purchase. I've only come out the other end just as confused as I went in!

Please help......

US Ed vs. Standards Ed.?

HIG and text or either/neither?

Extra practice books or not?

I'm planning to test my dd sometime this week but by looking over the placement tests, I'm thinking she'll place in 2A just so we can backtrack a bit and learn some foundational information, the Singapore way. I still plan on finishing RSB within the next few weeks so I do have some time (albeit, not too much) to gather information before making a solid decision. It really saddens me to let RS go but with my dd's increasing school demands I really do need to look ahead and implement a supplemental program that she can use in conjuntion with what she will be doing at school. Although RS is so far from her school math, it is what attracted us both to the program. As many others have said, however, it is soooooooo teacher intensive and really gets put on the backburner because of the prep work involved. As a stand alone, homeschool program, it is excellent. It has provided my "gifted" dd with a strong foundation but, alas, I do fear it's time to move on!

US Ed vs. Standards Ed.?

We use the U.S. edition: A & B textbooks, A & B workbooks, and the answer key.

HIG and text or either/neither?

I think the HIG could be useful, but I would think that would depend upon your understanding of math.

Extra practice books or not?

If you think your child will use them at some point -- maybe in summer, during breaks, or weekends -- then I think they're worth having on hand.

I'm planning to test my dd sometime this week but by looking over the placement tests, I'm thinking she'll place in 2A just so we can backtrack a bit and learn some foundational information, the Singapore way.

I think that's a good idea. Better to have a strong foundation than move ahead too quickly.

The standards edition was developed for the State of California. Although I live in California, I decided to supplement with the U.S. Edition. The books are less expensive, and are similar enough that I didn't see the need to spend more money on something that is just supplementary to the ps curriculum. Also, the standards edition offers a little more review exercises, which I also felt was unnecessary if we are using it strictly as a supplement.

I think you are right to backtrack a little with your dd. Assuming she will place into 2A, you might want to get the 1B textbook and just the Intensive Practice workbook for 1B. That way, you can both get acquainted with Singapore's approach by doing the text lessons orally, but the workbook exercises won't all be too easy. The IP is only offered in the U.S. Edition, so the standards text wouldn't be necessary.

IMO, I don't think you really need the HIG for 1B -- as long as you go over the text material with her, you should be able to see the thought processes behind it. The extra practice book might work well in place of the regular workbook for the higher levels -- assuming you are still just supplementing. The IP and the CWP are excellent, also, and you might want to try to fit in one or both of those workbooks, too, perhaps after completing the extra practice workbook for level 2. Perhaps you could do the extra practice workbook during the school year, and then the IP or CWP over the summer.

HTH.

I'd go for the US edition too. More helpful than the HIG is Heart of Dakota's guide, even if you just use it for the math activities! It gives you daily plans and hands on activities to teach each lesson (and shows you what constitutes a daily lesson)...I hear the Singapore HIGs are a bit fuzzy for most folks. The lessons for 2A are in the "Bigger" guide on http://www.heartofdakota.com. If you find one used, it could be a really great deal for really great math lessons! It takes us about 15 minutes to do math each day, sometimes more if dd lingers ;)

We've gone with the "Standards Edition". We live in California and like the idea of being in sequence with the public schools. The price difference (around $2) is negligible and from what I understand there is more material in the Standards Edition books (so there is a value there).

I've heard that the "US Edition" will be phased out in favor of the Standards Edition, but this may not be the case. If anyone has information to the contrary, please correct my potential misimpression. If it is correct, I'd rather choose an edition that I knew was going to be around 2 or 3 years from now.

Bill

I've heard that the "US Edition" will be phased out in favor of the Standards Edition, but this may not be the case. If anyone has information to the contrary, please correct my potential misimpression. If it is correct, I'd rather choose an edition that I knew was going to be around 2 or 3 years from now.

It should still be around - the Singapore Math website specifically says that they will "continue to carry Primary Mathematics U.S. Edition indefinitely" in addition to Standards.

We're already in 5B, so I'm too late to switch to Standards even if I wanted to.

If I were starting today as a homeschooler, I may pick Standards (although US Edition has been more than adequate), but if I were afterschooling, I think I still may choose US - as a supplement only I'm not sure if the "extra" in Standards is needed - although maybe the scope of Standards lines up more with what they'd be doing in school?

If I were starting today as a homeschooler, I may pick Standards (although US Edition has been more than adequate), but if I were afterschooling, I think I still may choose US - as a supplement only I'm not sure if the "extra" in Standards is needed - although maybe the scope of Standards lines up more with what they'd be doing in school?

I've found the standards edition covers one or two more brief topics than what they are doing in school, i.e., "estimating" is in the standards edition, but not the U.S. edition. Also, in the standards edition, they refer to the fraction "one-fourth", whereas in the U.S. edition, they refer to it as "one-quarter". The differences are just very minor.

Also, the Singapore material, whether standards or U.S., is just more advanced than what they do in school generally. This is why I decided to afterschool with just the U.S. edition.

Thanks to all who posted. I'm still leaning towards the Standards Edition so that we could be more in line with what dd is learning in school. Right now, with RightStart, I feel there's a disconnect between her and the material she's learning because she's not done it (or heard of it) in school. I'm not "mathy" and I heard that the HIG's are less "fuzzy" with the Standards Edition. I'm thinking I'll feel more comfortable teaching the material, especially since it's so different from the traditional methods I was taught in school.

Thanks again.

Just as a "heads up", whether you get the standards or the U.S. edition, the schedule and pacing of the curriculum will most likely be very different. If you want to be doing the same topics at the same time, you'll need to make sure you know how the topics are scheduled at school. I found that, at least in comparison with my own dc's school curriculum, I liked the way Singapore scheduled their topics better -- their progression seems to have a more logical flow to it. So, personally, I decided to just follow Singapore's progression at home, despite what topics my dc are learning at school at the same time. It has worked, mostly because Singapore ends up being more advanced than their school curriculum, so their schoolwork is more like review or drill rather than learning new concepts.

My dd started in Singapore Math in 2a and is now in 6B. I bought the Primary Mathematics U.S. Edition textbook, workbook, and Home Instructor Guide for each level. I found I used the HIG mostly for scheduling to keep her on track in the early grades. In the later levels, it was also helpful for correcting her work, figuring out some tough problems, what method they were using.

I would not get extra practice books until you identify there is a need. I bought some then she never used them.

I really like the IP books.

Right now I'm using just the IP book as workbook and textbook. My daughter really enjoys the Challenging Problems, they're only in the IP books. For the next few levels, I have workbooks, textbooks, and HIG purchased, I'll use just the IP books as a base, but where she needs more practice, I will "supplement" with the textbook and/or workbook. We do math facts twice a week with Flashmaster as well. 75 seconds of addition and 75 seconds of subtraction twice a week is enough for us now that she's started to learn them well, we're working mainly on retention now. (We did a bit more when she was still learning them.)

• 1 month later...

I am week 3 into Singapore math 1a (Standards edition.) I am not mathy at all. I have used Horizons, Abeka, and MUS.... my son is in 3rd grade. We started all over with Singapore 1a and we are both learning new things each day! I'm shocked! We are doing math each day since it's so easy for him. We will slow down once he gets back to grade level or when his work becomes more difficult.

I am going to keep using Singapore math. I love how they teach the concepts. It makes math easier IMO. Plus the lessons are short and sweet. It's a win win situation "easier math" and shorter lessons. WOO HOO

I can see how this curriculum is a top pick for after schooling. It doesnt take up much time to teach... and (depending on the student) the workbook pages are done fairly quickly.

Good luck with it.

We've used both US and SE, and are using the SE now so we can jump back into ps if needed and be on track.

The CWP, in my opinion, are one of the strongest parts of the program. We try to do a couple each day.

I found the HIG's a complete waste of time (for us). Scheduling doesn't make sense to me - we go at our own pace........

We're in 5A SE now and are supplementing with LOF Fractions. I'm very happy with the programs.