Menu

Would you even consider a ps Montessori?

Alicia64

Hi Everyone,

My last option for public school is a very, very nice Montessori that several friends have given the thumbs up to.

When we say "public school" I never know: are we including Waldorf and Montessori in that?

I still can't come to a firm decision whether I'll hs during my boy's young years and possibly consider the Montessori later. Or hs the entire time. Or put them in Montessori this August.

Are there fewer horror stories at Montessoris? The kids have a dress code, aren't allowed to bring logos into school. In general the whole atmosphere seems gentler, sweeter than our last school.

I'd love to hear your opinion on this -- possibly going w/ a Montessori.

Thanks,

Alicia

The only Montessori schools i have experience with are private and expensive. I wouldn't have sent my kids to the one in CA, and I don't know anything about the one hear.

It would be on my list to check out if i needed to send the them to school - but i'm guessing i couldn't afford it! LOL!!

I should add that this school is a charter and no charge. Although they ask the parents to do parent participation which is fine.

My worries: so much less time w/ my kids because they'd be in school until 3 every day.

Plus I'm worried about the Hannah Montana culture trickling in. I don't know if Montessori is better at keeping it out or not.

I read the book, Hold onto Your Kids, and it scared me! Because of what our larger culture teaches kids.

Also, it's a K - 8. No way would I put them in middle school.

Alicia

I've been tempted to try and get my son in Montessori. There's a charter opening up with only 30 total spots for 1st-3rd. It would be a long shot to get in...but I think he would love it! Regardless of what everyone else experiences...he's bored with only me and his 10 year old sister to play with. He'd like some play mates...

Carrie;-)

That's a tough decision. The Montessori in our town is private and expensive and very liberal. We visited a private Christian school for our kids and really liked it, but I think what it came down to for us is how do we want our family structure to be and what was our long term vision for our kids. Homeschooling was more appealing to us. I think you just have to cast a vision for your family and decide what would be best to work towards that.

Oh my... I'm so jealous. The Montessori schools around here are absolutely fantastic but are also priced to match. There's no way I could ever afford them. I think it would be a wonderful experience, and if the parents are all truly involved, the pop culture atmosphere should be pretty minimal. Best of luck with whatever you decide. That's a tough one!

Would it help you to write out your reasons for considering home schooling and your reasons for considering traditional school (neighborhood public, public charter, whatever)?

I know people who have had very positive and very negative experiences in so-called "Montessori" schools. (Basically, there's no regulation regarding what it takes for someone to call their school "Montessori" -- it can follow Maria Montessori's methods very closely or almost not at all.) There are some nice things about Montessori, and the nice thing about charters is the parents are often more involved overall than they are with other public schools. (On the other hand, sometimes kids who are deemed "problems" at their neighborhood school can end up in charters, depending on how the local structure works...)

If I were *forced* by life circumstances, situations beyond my control, to consider public school for my elementary-aged kids, and there were a Montessori charter in my area, I would look at it (along with other options). I might even pick it. There are great things about the Montessori philosophy/method. Done well, it can really encourage focus and diligence and allow kids to work at their own pace... These are good things.

But for my family, the reasons we home school go far, far beyond thinking the local public school "isn't good enough" academically, or could be damaging socially. I home school for positive reasons, things I *love* about home schooling, not things I dislike about alternatives.

Maybe that would help you. Write out the *pros* for home schooling your own and the pros for sending them to another school (make your list general or specific to the school you're considering). You can make a cons list as well, if you like, for each option, but I'd really encourage first looking at what *positives* each situation offers.

For me, at the elementary level, I wouldn't consider public school (Montessori, Waldorf, or otherwise -- okay, honestly, I wouldn't ever consider Waldorf, despite the beautiful, beautiful toys) unless our life situation changed drastically and we *couldn't* home school. I don't look down on others for making different choices. But for us, this is the choice we make.

Think about *why* you would choose either option. Write it down. What do you *want* from your kids' elementary years experience (home or otherwise)?

Our son completed Children's House (for 3-5yo) at a private Montessori. The education was great. We would consider continuing with that path if it was affordable.

Locally there are two public Montessori schools (one is charter), but they are public schools and are restricted due to state requirements. When we attended the open houses for these, the schools were so significantly different from our Montessori experience they weren't seriously considered. The state requirements make a Montessori environment impossible IMO.

So, now we homeschool - classical with Montessori - the best of both. And we love it.

Yes, I'd consider it. Going to (or being) a Christian school is really important to me, so that would probably take the public Montessori school off the table for me in the end. But I sure would consider it.

I am actually a certified Montessori teacher, and my son finished 3 years in a Montessori preschool. All good experiences.

The only Montessori horror stories I can imagine are schools with "Montessori" in the title but not in the philosophy or practice. There are "Montessori" schools that don't follow the Montessori way.

Things to look out for: A "real" Montessori classroom is neat and orderly. It should sound like a library, with the children allowed to talk and move around, but, for the most part, quietly concentrating on their work. The children should be free to select their own works.

A real Montessori classroom includes children in 3-year range (ages 3-6, ages 6-9, ages 9-12), with the older children helping or at least setting an example for the younger children. Although it's not popular in public education right now, a proper Montessori class has a high teacher-to-student ratio (even 35-1). This is because a Montessori classroom encourages the child to figure things out on his/her own by using the Montessori materials or by observing an older student, and not to look to the teacher constantly for guidance, permission, or solutions.

Also, a real Montessori school gives the children large blocks of time -- 3 hours uninterruped -- to concentrate on their work. If a three-hour work period is not scheduled at least on most days, the school isn't following true Montessori.

Also, in a Montessori environment, you should not see a lot of teacher leading, correcting, or disciplining. A Montessori classroom should revolve around the materials, not the teacher. The teacher's job is to demonstrate new materials to the child when he's ready, to record progress, and, most importantly, to observe the children.

I think Montessori is wonderful for children. Montessori is actually WHY I homeschool: because my son's Montessori school only went up to age 6, and I wasn't willing to put him in a traditional classroom after that.

If you have specific questions, ask.

My mom owns a Montessori school. I grew up in that whole realm. I'm a Montessori teacher myself. Every school is different, as a p.p. said lots of schools claim to be Montessori when their not. I would make sure they use actual Montessori equipment, taught by actual Montessori teachers. If so, its a great place for most kids. The philosophy is beautiful, and thoughtful. If and when you bring them home they'll probably have great work ethics. Unfortunately there is no escaping the Hannah Montana mentality. Which I guess could be interpreted in many ways...from what's the big deal it's just this cute girl doing her thing, to she represents everything cheap and lame in this country. How much of that comes into the school depends on the owner or director of the school, ultimately no one is going to say No Hannah Montana tee shirts or lunch boxes allowed. My mom pushes it way further that any other owner I've seen in action. She will tell parents that they are buying the wrong size pants, and thats why their buns are always hanging out. She says it's not proper. She will tell parents that their packing shoddy lunches, they go to bed to late and so on. I love it! She is a dying breed. Every class starts with The Pledge of Allegiance, and singing My Country Tis of Thee, In Dec. Santa dominates all bulletin boards. Point being, every school is different you may find the school to be a great fit for your values and your kids. If you try it and don't like it, you take them out, that happens too. No big deal. I think it's ideal to do kinder and maybe 1st grade, then I would bring them home (I'm madly in love with home schooling). Honestly though.. If they wound up going to Montessori schools through high school, I only would be sad for a little while because ultimately they would have a great education. My health is a problem & there may come a time when I can't do it anymore. If that happens Montessori would be my first choice for sure. It's not a contest. It sounds like you have all good options! :001_smile:

Also, I went to a Montessori school for pre-k, kinder, and 1st. From that perspective, it's all good memories.

Edited by helena

I have 4 kids that attended a public charter k-8 Montessori school. Two thrived while two did not. It seems to depend largely on whether a child is self motivated with a lot of curiosity. My one son spent his entire 3rd grade year devouring National Geographics on a bean bag in his Montessori class. The teacher worked his NG interest into all of his writing, math, history lessons etc. I was worried he wasn't getting a balanced education, but he learned so much and his reading skills jumped tremendously. It all worked out for him in the end.

On the other hand, my twin daughters sat quietly in class looking at books for a few years before anyone noticed they really weren't progressing at all. By age 10, they still couldn't do the most simple basic math, and had no basic number sense. Somehow we all missed this thinking it would come eventually, but we now are homeschooling them. The desire to let kids learn and discover at their own pace can mask the fact that some kids need direct support and instruction.

The advantages: multi-age class rooms, respectful adult-child relationships, respect for environment and your own space (kids cleaned classrooms, etc.), less tolerance for "meanness" and bullying. My other son who was very shy in regular PS, was forced to interact with other kids in the Montessori setting, and eventually became very confident and social in this safe environment.

The disadvantages: Not many. Just use your gut and you will know if it is right for your child.

I would be very careful. Remember that this is a PUBLIC Charter, so anyone is allowed in. And please I don't mean that in a disrespectful way, I'm only implying that sometimes people enroll their kids there for whatever reason, but actually do not subscribe to the true Montessori principles. Also, because of this reason I doubt you will be able to escape the Hannah Montana culture and the things you were trying to get away from at the other school.

I'd be cautious. So many public school Montessori's are not truly following the philosophy. The PP who listed true Monti principles was spot on.

Ds19 went to a private Monti school for 3 years in early elementary. If dd8 could have gone there, I would have rejoiced. (We really did enjoy homeschooling, so it would be a hard toss-up, honestly.) We moved from Dallas, tho, so it wasn't an option, and the Monti schools I looked at here left quite a lot to be desired.

I just read Dragonsintheflowerbed's blog, and I think she's wonderful--she has a little thing about Montessori that I never considered before, and she made me think. She is the type of homeschooler that I want to be--so thoughtful and so respectful of children and people in general. Her reasons for choosing to homeschool help me see why I want to. Perhaps reading her blog would help you articulate your own reasons to homeschool or not.