Menu

Small SUV owners: Toyota RAV-4, Honda CR-V, or Subaru Forester?

I wish there were a place to compare all the info about each model side-by-side. I'm hoping to find a used one, and want to know this from those of you who've had one: Is there anything about the RAV-4, CR-V, or Forester that you wish you would have known before buying it? Is there any safety or maintenence/repair info. that you could share? If you had to choose between these (or something like it that seats 5), which would you choose and why?

TIA!

I wish there were a place to compare all the info about each model side-by-side. I'm hoping to find a used one, and want to know this from those of you who've had one: Is there anything about the RAV-4, CR-V, or Forester that you wish you would have known before buying it? Is there any safety or maintenence/repair info. that you could share? If you had to choose between these (or something like it that seats 5), which would you choose and why?

TIA!

I would say you can't go wrong with either the Toyota or the Honda. I have friends who own both and everyone loves their vehicle. ;-)

Well, to throw another in the mix, we've had a Jeep Liberty for about five years and been very happy with it.

My concern with any of these is how *comfortably* you could fit three growing kids in the back seat, especially since two of yours are young enough to be in booster seats for several years to come. I'd take the boosters and all three kids and *try* them in the back of every car you're considering.

The Subaru Forester was redesigned for 2009 -- the new 2009 model came out in Feb/March 2008. The new model is significantly bigger than the old, pre 2009 models.

Last year, I looked at the 2008 Foresters and decided on a Subaru Outback. I went with a measuring tape and found that the cargo space was essentially the same -- I think the Forester was a little higher, but not really bigger in square inches on the back floor. The back seat of the Outback has significantly more leg room than the back set than the Forrester. Also, when I test drove the old Forresters (several of them), they started and stopped with a bit of a jerk/lurch -- and I am talking about a new car (the non-turbo models). But many people love them -- Subarus are well made.

I love the Outback -- it is a station wagon that drives like a sedan or sporty car, yet it has plenty of room. If you get one of the LX trim packages, everything is included, everything. It also is easier to park than an SUV. It holds 5 people. My Subaru uses regular gasoline.

Some people like to check where their Subaru was made -- Japan or the U.S. (Indiana, I think). Car people prefer the Japanese ones.

My repair guy told me that Subarus were less expensive to repair than Hondas -- you might want to call your repair person & check. You can also get an quote from your insurance company to see if there are any big differences.

I tried the Honda Pilot -- it drove beautifully, but I had a heart attack parking it. Don't forget with bigger SUVs to check that they will fit in your garage. I also tried the 2008 CRV and didn't like that the back had more metal than windows -- I like visibility. But the pre 2008 CRVs are great cars.

Edited by Alessandra

We have had it for about 4 years now, it is a 2004 model with 120,000 miles. No repairs except for maintenance. It is the perfect size for our family of 4. The cargo area is my favorite part. The way the door opens on a hinge, like a door, and its roominess. It will seat 5 pretty comfortably.

My dh just purchase a new extended cab PU truck and likes to drive it, but I prefer my CR-V, even for longer road trips.

We have a 2001 CR-V (bought used from our credit union) that we are very pleased with. That said we only drive/buy Hondas. The only thing I don't like about the CR-V is the gas mileage isn't as good as the Accords.

Now that's interesting, because Accords are on my list too, but not so near the top due to the extrememly bumpy road we live down. I'd literally have to c-r-a-w-l down the road in a car to not bottom it out.

Except for church and maybe 1 or 2 other outings per week when the whole family is riding together, it's just me and the kids. DD is 12 and meets the weight/height for sitting in front, so she wouldn't usually be squished between the 2 boosters.

Jeans too - why only Hondas? Just curious. :) I know people who are like that w/ Subarus b/c they say they last double the miles. I'm still looking for something for now...:auto: We don't want to pay for a brand spanking new model, so that makes the search harder.

We have been very happy with the Kia Sorento. We chose it over the Rav 4 and Ford Edge and Liberty because it seemed to have less road noise (quiet) The Edge was a good ride as well with a little more zip than the others but it was more expensive than the Kia. The Rav 4 was about $10000 more for the features we wanted. The Liberty was nice but noisy. They are a lot alike, so it may come down to those little features you find important. We wanted 4wdrive and bun warmers.

We recently test-drove all three of those vehicles. My favorite was the RAV-4. It was much peppier than the others and seemed to have more space. (I like the newer version much better than the older years. You should check to see when they made the change.) We almost bought one, but then I found a used Lexus RX for the same price. I LOVE this car!

We have been very happy with the Kia Sorento. We chose it over the Rav 4 and Ford Edge and Liberty because it seemed to have less road noise (quiet) The Edge was a good ride as well with a little more zip than the others but it was more expensive than the Kia. The Rav 4 was about $10000 more for the features we wanted. The Liberty was nice but noisy. They are a lot alike, so it may come down to those little features you find important. We wanted 4wdrive and bun warmers.

I have a Kia Sportage (the smallest SUV they have) and I LOVE IT! For the price you can't beat it. It's very comfortable and gets good mileage. I'd relly consider a Kia.

I have a Buick Rendezvous that I LOVE LOVE LOVE. I know it wasn't listed on the OP, but it is really a great car. They don't make them any more, but the used ones are great, they get excellent gas mileage, there is the option of the third seat, so you can get 7 people in and they are smooth and comfortable to drive. A friend of mine has a CR-V and it is so loud and rough compared to my Rendezvous.

Just my .02! Hope that helps.

We used to have a Subaru Forrester and I loved it. I still miss it. We sold it to good friends who love it and gave it a good home. One thing I really liked about it was the All Wheel Drive. We had a couple of snowstorms here while we had it where I was the only person able to get to work. Hmmm....maybe that's a disadvantage now that I think of it. :) I picked up one of our nurses in the Forrester and she was amazed that we were able to get down her unplowed road.

We bought ours used and had it about 4 years. We never had any major repairs and used regular gasoline.