Menu

Acer laptops?? Any feedback?

Also using an acer here. I am very happy with it. I use it for email, this board, internet, word processing, money, etc and it works great. My hubby informs me that it is not adequate for gaming though. Mine is the Aspire 5600 and I got it about three years ago for $800. You could probably get it for less now though.

Ah, thanks to your hubbie, KidsHappen, for that piece of info. I wonder if it would handle simple games like Lord of the Rings? I suspect it's not suitable for WOW though... These computers are so reasonably priced! Thanks for your help!!

Mary

Ah, thanks to your hubbie, KidsHappen, for that piece of info. I wonder if it would handle simple games like Lord of the Rings? I suspect it's not suitable for WOW though... These computers are so reasonably priced! Thanks for your help!!

Mary

I wouldn't think so. My dd's computer is newer than mine and we had to upgrade her memory and add a video card (maybe more stuff, I don't really know) to handle WOW. Gaming requires a lot of power.

I like my Acer too. I couldn't tell you a model or anything, my husband the techie bought it for me. My dh and ds, the gamer dudes, also sucked me into playing Guild Wars with them as a "family activity" after the little one is in bed some evenings. My Acer will run the game pretty well, as long as all the graphics options are set at the lowest setting. But no, it's definitely not a gamer's dream machine. It does play my silly little online games like Scrabble just fine however. And for homework I'd think it would do just fine.

ETA: It does run some pretty powerful software, like FLASH just fine (don't ask how I know how to use FLASH when I don't even know what model my computer is...lol). I think it's the on-the-fly 3D rendering in the high end games that taxes the graphics card (at least that's what my dh mutters when it gets choppy).

Edited by MamaSheep

I have had my Acer Aspire 3000 for several years now. I really like it. However, I have run into a few problems. My disk drive stopped working shortly after I got it. It was cheaper/easier for me to buy an external disk drive. My battery life is the pits. I just bought a new battery less than a year ago and I am down to getting only 10 minutes or so on it. I am not going to pay a ton of money each year for a new battery. Also, the cord broke and it costs a lot of money for a new one. That said, I really do like the computer. If having a long life battery is not important, I say go for it.

Acer/Gateway sux, I think that is my word of the day. They have THE Worst customer service ever.

I have been trying for three wks. to get a refund or replacement on a Gateway ONe computer and nothing. I am so furious. I would never deal w/Acer or Gateway again.

I dont care how cheap or what a great comp. One day they stop working and you are at the mercy of a horrible company.

Please rethink. I am looking at Mac although they are waaaaay too pricey.