Menu

Anyone seen Becoming Jane or Miss Austen Regrets?

I've seen Becoming Jane. There is brief nudity - you see two men from the back jumping into a river. A few scenes are in a club with boxing and some prostitutes walk around and offer the men wine and sit on their laps, etc. and there is some kissing going on. Jane's brother courts an older widow and they sleep together before they are married (this happens offscreen). The man that Jane falls in love with is in training to be a lawyer and he's a boxer and has a "reputation" - he is sent to the country by his uncle to keep him out of trouble in London. You see him in early scenes hanging out in the club and leaving with/kissing some women.

Jane's character is great. She is confident, headstrong, passionate, and refuses to marry for money. Much like Elizabeth in Pride and Prejudice. She makes a heartbreaking choice in the movie that emphasizes her strong morals and unselfishness. I think she is a good role model.

I loved the movie!! I thought it was very romantic and I thought that James McAvoy was very charming as the love interest.

Hope that helps you with your decision. :001_smile:

Just remembered another scene...at the beginning the mom and dad are in bed and she makes some snide comment and the dad decides to prove her wrong and goes "under the covers". She "resists" but then "gives in" as it becomes pleasurable. Doesn't last long, but it is definitely not just a "I bet her husband is tickling her" type of thing. ;)