Menu

Grammar question: use of "one" vs. "you", as in . . .

One doesn't often encounter those who use the word "one" instead of "you" any more.

I still use "one" in formal writing (not that I do much formal writing these days), but not in casual conversation. I'm wondering whether i should try to be more conscious of how I model this for my dc, or if using "one" sounds hopelessly old fashioned and peculiar in today's world.

I find the "you" or "one" usage a bit cumbersome. I encourage my kids to eliminate "you" or "one" altogether by changing the sentence structure.

ex: When fly fishing, one can easily catch trout by using tied flies that mimic seasonally hatching insects.

better ex: When fly fishing, trout can be caught easily by using tied flies that mimic seasonally hatching insects.

Ok. Please excuse my off-the-top-of-my-head sentence examples. Sentences can be written in passive voice to eliminate "you" and "one."

HTH,

Lisa

I aspire to use in more but thay's just b/c i don't like the sound of "you" in place of "one." For example, when speaking directly to someone and the topic of taxes comes up, I don't like to say, "Of course, you could always choose to claim more dependents." to someone who isn't even thinking of claiming more dependents but happened to be speaking of the subject. *She* doesn't need to claim more dependents but one could, hypothetically, if needed.

I think it should be used and I wish I would use it more but I dont'. I do find that I use it in interpreting scenarios more than in my own conversations.

I find the "you" or "one" usage a bit cumbersome. I encourage my kids to eliminate "you" or "one" altogether by changing the sentence structure.

ex: When fly fishing, one can easily catch trout by using tied flies that mimic seasonally hatching insects.

better ex: When fly fishing, trout can be caught easily by using tied flies that mimic seasonally hatching insects.

Ok. Please excuse my off-the-top-of-my-head sentence examples. Sentences can be written in passive voice to eliminate "you" and "one."

HTH,

Lisa

But doesn't that just leave (you? one? :lol: ) with the misplaced modifier that implies that it is the trout that are fly fishing?

there are often many ways to restructure a sentence to aviod use of those pesky pronouns. Once in awhile I've just had to use "one," but I really dislike it.

She asked us to excuse her, so I'm not going to throw stones, especially since my children and my dh caught me in a grammar mistake just the other day! :) Thinking positively.....I've taught them well! (I also make very embarrassing mistakes when posting...sigh!)

Tied flies that mimic seasonally hatching insects are one tool anglers use while fly-fishing to catch trout easily.

OR

Anglers catch trout easily by....

I use "one" incessantly, and was totally unconscious that it sounds hopelessly old fashioned. Thanks a lot :D

Bill (old as the hills :tongue_smilie:)

:iagree: I also use the subjunctive in regular speech. However, I am conscious of its "old fashioned" sound as I am continually teased by colleagues and friends because of the way I speak. Continually. :tongue_smilie:

In general, I tailor my conversation to my audience. When talking to my great-grandfather, I had to be careful to let my participles dangle & use things like "you" instead of "one." Or sometimes I'd say "somebody." Otherwise, he thought I was putting on airs. I ended up w/ a master's degree, & he only got through the 8th grade. I wish he wouldn't have let language intimidate him, though. He was one of the most brilliant men I'd ever met & could have been a GREAT force for good in his generation if he hadn't been ashamed of his lack of education.

Otoh, while I'm pretty casual in places like this, sometimes I'll reread a post before I post it & realize that a casual "you" sounds like an attack & I reword it to say "one" to take some of the edge out. Potential edge? I don't know.

Esp in emails to strangers, I'm pretty formal & pretty brief. I don't want to waste someone's time or mental energy. Dh, otoh, is terrible w/ those rules, & I think that's one of the reasons that people initially feel like he's so much friendlier than me. Well, that & the fact that he *is* friendlier. :lol:

I guess my point is, I'd be careful about proper grammar. It only takes you so far. Knowing when *not* to use it might be equally important, but I"m going to get laughed off the boards for saying so. :D

I aspire to use in more but thay's just b/c i don't like the sound of "you" in place of "one." For example, when speaking directly to someone and the topic of taxes comes up, I don't like to say, "Of course, you could always choose to claim more dependents." to someone who isn't even thinking of claiming more dependents but happened to be speaking of the subject. *She* doesn't need to claim more dependents but one could, hypothetically, if needed.

I think it should be used and I wish I would use it more but I dont'. I do find that I use it in interpreting scenarios more than in my own conversations.

I know what you mean, & I agree. I think, though, that rather than use "one" in that situation, I'd say something like, "A person could always choose more dependents." Except that I talk weird, & I'd be thinking of Catcher in the Rye, & if a body catch a body, something in the rye, & so it would come out, "Of course, a body could always choose more dependents. I mean, if a body wanted to choose them." :lol: