Menu

Low Carb cookbook...need recommendations...more info inside

I need to find several realistic Low Carb cookbooks that doesn't require you to buy the author's flour mix. My ds can have WW flour and Sucanat (or any other raw sugar). He can't have white flour, white sugar and any sugar substitutes. The carbs make his sugar skyrocket and bring his symptoms of diabetes back. Now he is not a diabetic yet. He is currently diagnosed with Impaired Glucose Tolerance.

I looked at Atkins Low Carb. I really like it except for the use of soy flour (we do not want soy in our house) and Atkins Quick flour mix. So I need recommendations for Low Carb cookbooks that uses WW flour and possibly raw sugar.

Thanks

Holly

SO was he diagnosed with pre type 2 diabetes? Has he seen an endo yet?

If he is pre type 1(big difference in types) and he is honeymooning then you really want to talk with an endo to preserve any remaining beta cells.

Good luck.

He is not diagnosed as diabetic yet. He has Impaired Glucose Tolerance. Yes, he is seeing an endo.

Holly

I had the same problem while I was gestational diabetic and managed to keep off insulin by getting my carbs from legumes instead of grains. Before you take a radical step like that, check how he is with whole grains, barley in particular as that has the lowest GI of all the grains.

Rosie

I looove the South Beach cookbooks. No special flour mixes or other weird ingredients, and really tasty recipes. There is some sugar substitute, but in anything savory you could just leave it out (I always do), and you don't have to make the desserts. :001_smile:

Is it just artificial sweeteners he has to avoid? I use stevia, which is from a plant you can grow in your windowsill, so completely natural, but also zero glycemic index and zero calories. You can bake with it, even.

I looove the South Beach cookbooks. No special flour mixes or other weird ingredients, and really tasty recipes. There is some sugar substitute, but in anything savory you could just leave it out (I always do), and you don't have to make the desserts. :001_smile:

Is it just artificial sweeteners he has to avoid? I use stevia, which is from a plant you can grow in your windowsill, so completely natural, but also zero glycemic index and zero calories. You can bake with it, even.

He can have Stevia, Sucanat, Turbinado and other raw variety. Tell me how you cook with Stevia. Stevia is very powerful. I do not find very many recipes with Stevia.

Thanks

Holly