Menu

Completely overwhelmed with possibilities...

OneRoomHomeSchool

If you were possibly going to suddenly be homeschooling 3 children ages: 12, 11 and 9. Who had always been in PS:

1) What is the first thing you'd begin reading up on/researching?

2) I would not be able to completely 'de-school' as the father would not understand that, so, how could I de-school so to speak while making it not look like I am doing so? :D

3) I do believe that my 12 and 11 year olds could be combined in all subjects, would you recommend doing so? (I have 5 children, ages 4, 6, 9, 11, 12)

4) My 9 yr old dd has math 'issues' and is currently failing math in her PS. What should I do/plan for IF I end up homeschooling these 3? I really do almost think that dropping formal math for her for her first year of HS'ing would be the way to go, and rather, spend time with her one on one with manipulatives, so she can learn the concepts. It seems that she keeps getting further and further behind as times goes on in Math.

5) I would like to use Singapore math, however, is that going to be possible since they didn't start it young? And will I be taking on too much for myself by trying right now? (I am very math UNsavy and I *think* that *I* will have a very difficult time teaching singapore if I had not taught all along and 'grew into it') thoughts? My 12 and 11 yrs seem to both have a pretty solid foundation, but do need some work on conceptual thinking overall. We suspect that the 11 yr old boy is mildly 'gifted' in mathmatical and scientifical thinking.

6) Can't we just hold off on 'formal' science for the first year? Just cover everyone's 3 R's at their own level, and just do read alouds all together for history/literature?

And finally (actually I am sure this is just the beginning of my questions - ha!), I am not even yet SURE if this is going to happen - though it does appear to be a strong possibility, but I'll admit that I am wearing my heart on my sleeve right now so cannot think straight.

Disclaimer: Keep in mind while giving your input that these children have not lived with me for anywhere from 5-6 years (it varies as they went to live with dad 1 at a time years back), so alot of adjustments would be in the background for everyone. I may be juggling an 8th, 7th, 5th, 2nd and PreK all at once...and I feel SO ill equipped! it is one thing to HS my little 6 year old, from the beginning...it is another to have Pre-Algebra (which was my own highest math I took and was passed with a D for effort) and more formal science (both my weak areas) dumped all at once in my lap! :D

Any advice welcome!

ETA: Did I mention that my dear husband works out of state...so I am on my own, so to speak Mon - Fri! :-O

Wow!

This is an awful lot to take on at once.

But un-schooling would just lead to absolute chaos in this situation, I think. What I would suggest, for the first little while, is this:

1) Read Aloud, read aloud, read aloud. It brings everyone together--which it sounds like you need. It's a great bonding time. You can have the olders do written narrations (no more than once a day at first) which you can corect for grammar and punctuation.

2) Do the Nature Study approach to science--at least for now. Again, it keeps you all together, and each child can work at his or her own level while you sort things out.

3) Math--games, games and the more playing the better. Yahtzee, Monoploy, etc.

You are a brave woman. I hope it works out.

Oh--and I wanted to add--I barely understood math. I could not add in my head. I could not divide or multiply. Forget subtraction!

I chose Singapore because of that--it has taught me so MUCH!

You have a six year old--you can start the child in 1A and 1B--and you will pick it up quickly. As we go through the program, I am just more and more impressed. (My son is now in 3A).

Pu your 9 year old in 2A--though others may have better suggestions. She can work as fast or as slowly as is needed.

Ah, yes, sorry.

You will have to see how the dynamic goes. Since you haven't lived with these children day in day out you are getting to know them--and how much structure they may or may not need.

I think a better distinction may be formal/informal--and starting out informally is probably OK--though you may find that some may need the structure of a scheduled day.

Have you read Cathy Duffy's "100 Top Picks?" The whole first section helps you evaluate your children's learning styles (and your own--which may be different!)

How exciting and scary! You can do it!

I think Alana's suggestion for lots of read-alouds is an excellent one. That covers so many bases, and would be part of the de-schooling process, for sure.

I do think you can combine the 11 and 12 year olds, if for no other reason than to save your sanity this first year. A good friend of mine has always combined her daughters (18 mos. apart in age) except in Math. They are now in 8th and 9th grades and it has worked very well.

About the 9 yo's math issues - have you considered Math-U-See? My older son (11) who is somewhat math-phobic has done well with MUS. The blocks are an amazing help with understanding concepts.

You can definitely hold off on formal science for a year. They can always read science books and watch science videos from the library; they learn an amazing amount this way. Stick with the basics for everyone and add on where you feel you can. Give yourself, and them, lots of grace!

Best wishes,

Heather

We started hsing last year, dds were 8 and 11. Both had been in ps previously. DD11 got great grades in ps, but had never been challenged. DD8 had confidence/competence issues invovling reading, spelling and math. So I was dealing w/ 2 different sets of issues.

For dd11, I found that since she hadn't been challenged at all in ps, when she encountered a challenge (something where she needed to think, and maybe didn't always "get it" right away) she would fall apart, insisting that she was "stupid". It took some time, but I got it through to her that most of the kids in her ps class fell into the category of "not always getting-it the first time". She was now working at her "challenge level" and it was a good skill to learn how to figure things out. Once she calmed down she was able to handle new/challenging situations. This benefit spilled over into our everyday life, where her initial reaction is no-longer frozen panic when she is in an unexpected situation.

DD8 - I had 3 subjects that needed to be addressed. I decided to start w/ reading, since by about 3rd grade, if students can't read, it starts to impact their learning. I took her back to basics. Didn't tell her that's what we were doing, but the beauty of hsing is there were no kids around to tell her she was doing "baby work". By the end of last year, she was reading at a beginning 4th grade level. Meanwhile, she did very simple math. We used the Developmental Math program, but she got irritated w/ it, and since math wasn't our goal for the year, I switched her into a fun, colorful workbook as a placeholder. She wasn't really learning new concepts, but she wasn't losing ones she already had, KWIM?

This year is our math year. I've been using Scott Foresman, and it's gone pretty well. She is gaining confidence. Asking a kid to explain verbally what steps they need to take, etc. can help them work through processes in their heads. SF intros multiplication in 3rd grade, but I don't like how they did it, so I've switched to MUS Gamma for a while and then well go back to SF. There are lots of resources out there. Use a general curriculum and then if you find some "sticky places" get a more specific resource (Key To, Developmental Math, etc.) to get dc solid on that area before moving on. But make sure you are comfortable w/ teaching the curriculum. If you aren't 100%, dc won't be comfortable and will have unnecessary difficulties.

If you were possibly going to suddenly be homeschooling 3 children ages: 12, 11 and 9. Who had always been in PS:

2) I would not be able to completely 'de-school' as the father would not understand that, so, how could I de-school so to speak while making it not look like I am doing so? :D

3) I do believe that my 12 and 11 year olds could be combined in all subjects, would you recommend doing so? (I have 5 children, ages 4, 6, 9, 11, 12)

4) My 9 yr old dd has math 'issues' and is currently failing math in her PS. What should I do/plan for IF I end up homeschooling these 3? I really do almost think that dropping formal math for her for her first year of HS'ing would be the way to go, and rather, spend time with her one on one with manipulatives, so she can learn the concepts. It seems that she keeps getting further and further behind as times goes on in Math.

5) I would like to use Singapore math, however, is that going to be possible since they didn't start it young? And will I be taking on too much for myself by trying right now? (I am very math UNsavy and I *think* that *I* will have a very difficult time teaching singapore if I had not taught all along and 'grew into it') thoughts? My 12 and 11 yrs seem to both have a pretty solid foundation, but do need some work on conceptual thinking overall. We suspect that the 11 yr old boy is mildly 'gifted' in mathmatical and scientifical thinking.

6) Can't we just hold off on 'formal' science for the first year? Just cover everyone's 3 R's at their own level, and just do read alouds all together for history/literature?

And finally (actually I am sure this is just the beginning of my questions - ha!), I am not even yet SURE if this is going to happen - though it does appear to be a strong possibility, but I'll admit that I am wearing my heart on my sleeve right now so cannot think straight.

Disclaimer: Keep in mind while giving your input that these children have not lived with me for anywhere from 5-6 years (it varies as they went to live with dad 1 at a time years back), so alot of adjustments would be in the background for everyone. I may be juggling an 8th, 7th, 5th, 2nd and PreK all at once...and I feel SO ill equipped! it is one thing to HS my little 6 year old, from the beginning...it is another to have Pre-Algebra (which was my own highest math I took and was passed with a D for effort) and more formal science (both my weak areas) dumped all at once in my lap! :D

Any advice welcome!

ETA: Did I mention that my dear husband works out of state...so I am on my own, so to speak Mon - Fri! :-O

1--Read and research both TWTM and Charlotte Mason. Absolutely my favorite would be For the Children's Sake, by Susan Schaeffer Macauley. Don't be overwhelmed by the rigorous recommendations in TWTM--pick and choose what works for you.

2--De-school with a well-chosen unit study. Do the basics "lite" for a little while. Get in a little readin', writin', and 'rithmatic, then study whatever looks appealing. You will find that literature, history, and science often naturally go hand-in-hand. Since you are also learning to adjust to living together, I would definitely make your school day for now more delight-centered. Just keep reading, thinking, learning and add in more structure LATER.

3--Combine your kids to your heart's content. The only reason NOT to do so is if one is struggling more in a subject or one needs a different style of approach.

4 and 5--My dd has math issues too. It's not any disability or anything--it's just not her strength. Singapore nearly killed her. It required a kind of thinking that is foreign to her. It's a good program--I suspect my ds would enjoy it. BUT it was a terrible fit for my dd. Math-U-See worked much better for both of us. The mastery approach is really good for dd, and the video teacher is really good for me. (I am not the strongest in math either.) MUS also has a strong emphasis on manipulatives. For your kid who struggles in math, I would warn you to be careful of Singapore. Your kids who are strong in this area might really enjoy Singapore's approach though.

6--Yes, you can hold off on formal science for a year. You will want them to have some rigorous basis before high school, but you have a little time to play here. Go ahead and let them study whatever science topic is interesting to them. I did this with my dd for a year, and she loved it. She did major research into horses, dogs, and weather, along with various minor topics of interest. Researching like that awoke a spark of genuine interest and curiosity in her. Perhaps in the fall you could look at Prentice-Hall Science Explorers--but for now ad hoc, delight-centered learning will make the process interesting and exciting.

Hope this helps!

Hey, Dawne!

The one concrete suggestion I have is to consider using MUS for your 9-year-old. It is a mastery program steeped in manipulatives. There is the teaching video that goes along with it. He can take it at his own pace; it is leveled, but the levels are not associated with grades.

The website has placement tests, and you can order a sample CD for free.

http://www.mathusee.com/index.html

Also, it seems to me it would be fine to start out slowly with a lot of reading and CM-inspired pursuits such as nature studies. Ya'll are going to need to be patient with each other. Trust.;)

I'm thinking of you, friend.:)

Any advice welcome!

1. I always recommend reading WTM even if you don't follow that teaching style, it's chock full of good info. I also like 'Home Learning Year by Year' by Rebecca Rupp. Then there's 'The Way They Learn' by Tobias???(not sure about the author) Also, read up on Charlotte Mason, as many are very inspired by her. I also like Jennifer Steward, but I've never been successful at unit studies. SimplyCharlotteMason.com is a favorite web site of mine.

2. That's a hard one that I have no suggestions for right now.

3. Combining the kids will definitely make life easier. You may want to combine in the content areas (science, history, fine arts) but individualize for skill areas (math, lang arts)

4. I don't recommend dropping formal math. I've had much success with CLE math, which I reviewed on my blog. Many like MUS in case you want a more hands-on approach, but I have no experience with it.

5. I know nothing about Singapore, but what I like about CLE is that they offer a diagnostic test so you place your child exactly where they test, regardless of grade level. My 5th grader placed in the 400 series.

6. You can definitely hold off on formal science and do read-alouds for reading, science, and literature. Have you looked into TruthQuest history? It's history using "real books". You can just do nature study a la Charlotte Mason for science and have the kids keep science notebooks and do written narrations and such about the things they've learned from living books.

For everything else you mentioned, pray. Prayer works! And it sounds like you're going to have your hands full and there will be a lot of adjustment time needed for everyone. HTH! All the best! (P.S. I didn't proofread this. LOL!)

No wonder you feel overwhelmed. You have an awful lot going on in your life right now. I would strongly suggest that you de-school as you find your rhythm with 3 extra children. There will probably be some relationship dynamics going on that you may need to work on and it would be good to work on these before you start in on the 'serious stuff.' I think you could effectively de-school while doing read alouds, maybe a lite unit study (as someone suggested.)

I have a math phobic as well. The thing that has worked well for us is to combine a formal program and living math. This has shown my dd that math can, indeed, be fun. We use Marilyn Burns' math books, Family Math, etc. I have acquired quite a few of these kinds of boks and they have helped a great deal. I have been able to introduce higher math to my dd and she doesn't have melt downs. We are struggling right now with knowing mult. facts. We are doing this with bean bag and movement games. I would suggest that maybe while you are de-schooling, find some math story books from your library (if you are not famiiar with the living math site you could get some suggestions there) and just go over the areas that are causing your child problems in a casual way.

Let us know how this all works out.

Julia

mom of 3 (8,7,5)

I chose Singapore because of that--it has taught me so MUCH!

You have a six year old--you can start the child in 1A and 1B--and you will pick it up quickly. As we go through the program, I am just more and more impressed. (My son is now in 3A).

Pu your 9 year old in 2A--though others may have better suggestions. She can work as fast or as slowly as is needed.

Alana, I saw your edited addition to your post. :) Yes, I do feel that Singapore would be good for *me*, definitely! My 12 and 11 year olds, I do believe would do great with Singapore, and that is what I plan to use with them. The 9 year old, I think, may need a season with drills first (maybe R&S gr. 4) before attempting Singapore with her. My 6 year old...the goal has always been to use Singapore when he gets a bit older. Right now we do informal/heavy manipulative math with him.

We pulled our children out of PS when the oldest was to enter 7th grade and we had 8 children at the time. I would go with just the bare basics for the first year; math, english and reading. You can do history and science with library books. As you get into a groove and they feel more confortable you can add stuff in.

Have fun!

You can do it!

I do think you can combine the 11 and 12 year olds, if for no other reason than to save your sanity this first year. A good friend of mine has always combined her daughters (18 mos. apart in age) except in Math. They are now in 8th and 9th grades and it has worked very well.

Thank you for the encouragement, Heather. I need it!

Yes, my 2 oldest are only 13 months apart I really think that I can combine them in everything: Math, English, Composition, Pre-Logic and Latin...later Science.

But make sure you are comfortable w/ teaching the curriculum. If you aren't 100%, dc won't be comfortable and will have unnecessary difficulties.

haha! :D I am not comfortable teaching ANY math over grade 5'ish! ;)

Actually the good thing I would going to my favor is that both my 12 and 11 yr olds are good at math...so, I guess, technically, *I* will be doing my own textbook right along-side them and THEY can help ME. :p

1--Read and research both TWTM

This just reminded me about the section in WTM re: starting in the middle. :D

3--Combine your kids to your heart's content. The only reason NOT to do so is if one is struggling more in a subject or one needs a different style of approach.

My 12 and 11's seem to be at the same level across the board: both are great at math, both need major work on grammar, both are just entering the logic stage, both are very strong readers, and spellers...combining those 2 is definitely going to happen.

The mastery approach -- For your kid who struggles in math, I would warn you to be careful of Singapore.

Yes! I agree. The more I thought on this, the more I really do think that dd9 needs a mastery approach, at least for now. I am considering putting her in Rod and Staff grade 4 to get those facts down. I would also push her learning skip counting and I'd also fold her into working with manipulatives with myself and my advanced 6 yr old. Just to get her to 'begin' to see the light conceptually. ??? still thinking...

6--Yes, you can hold off on formal science for a year. You will want them to have some rigorous basis before high school, but you have a little time to play here. Go ahead and let them study whatever science topic is interesting to them.

Nodding my head. The 11 yr old boy is VERY interested in science. For pleasure this child, when he is at my home, will scour my bookcase for science 'textbooks'..he LOVES scientific 'facts'. I am thinking, maybe for our first year (this fall the 2 olders will be 8th and 7th grade) letting them read on science topics of interest (though with dd12 I will have to require her to choose a topic and read on it) and then the following year when they are 9th and 8th, go ahead and begin formal Biology with both...

Hope this helps!

It really did, thank you, Strider!

The one concrete suggestion I have is to consider using MUS for your 9-year-old. It is a mastery program steeped in manipulatives. There is the teaching video that goes along with it. He can take it at his own pace; it is leveled, but the levels are not associated with grades.

Thanks, Nancy! I have had a few levels of MUS, and I just do not like that program. sigh Don't ask me why! lol I'll keep that one in mind though, because I understand what your saying.

1. I always recommend reading WTM even if you don't follow that teaching style, it's chock full of good info.....Also, read up on Charlotte Mason

Yes, again, I just remembered the starting in the middle section of WTM. And I have read most of CM's 6 vol set so I can take some of her ideas to heart.

3. Combining the kids will definitely make life easier. You may want to combine in the content areas (science, history, fine arts) but individualize for skill areas (math, lang arts)

I will be combining all 5 for history, Bible, Memory work, Poetry, Art, PE, etc.... of course, our first year, I won't even worry about some of the 'extras'. ;)

I will combine the 2 olders in all skill areas as they are, amazingly, both strong and weak in the same areas. God is good!

I will combine the 2 olders in science together and the 3 youngers together when the 2 olders begin formal science next year.

4. I don't recommend dropping formal math. I've had much success with CLE math, which I reviewed on my blog. Many like MUS in case you want a more hands-on approach, but I have no experience with it.

I think I will combine both formal and informal for dd9. Formal for facts, informal for concepts. My 6 yr does no formal math...and it has worked well...he is quite advanced. ;)

Have you looked into TruthQuest history? It's history using "real books".

Yes, I am familiar with TQ. History is one area that I will do totally 'solo'.

I would go with just the bare basics for the first year; math, english and reading. You can do history and science with library books. As you get into a groove and they feel more confortable you can add stuff in.

Thanks, quiver! This is what I am envisioning, yes. I think our first year should be low key, just doing the basics, and spending time as a family. The next year we'll add other things and then maybe consider a 1 day per week co-op or something...

Hi Dawne! What an adventure you have before you! This is just a thought from a newbie who has no idea what she's talking about :D so bare that in mind, but what about doing Prairie Primer. It seems like the ages would fit--save your two little ones. I want to do this later on. My cousin did it with her four--1 girl, 3 boys. They still look back at that year as one of the best.

Anyway, God bless you on your journey!

Any advice welcome!

1) Personally, I'd read the Well Trained Mind, A Charlotte Mason Companion and Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum. That's a good book for beginners, because it helps you define how you want to homeschool and gives ideas on what materials align with that style.

2) I'd do a lot of reading aloud and allowing the dc to select non-fiction books from the library to read over. They can either orally or compositionally narrate the books.

3) Yes. :)

4-5) She's a little old for it, BUT, I'd suggest having her do Miquon math. It's completely manipulative and for two years, my own dd thought it wasn't math, but simply puzzles! She loved it so much, she still laments to this day that she wishes there were more levels of it! Also, math games are a great way to go, as well. Singapore is also a good math curriculum and many combine both Miquon and Singapore. I don't see why your dc couldn't do Singapore math. Just start with the A half because it sort of explains the new material while the B half is reinforcement of the A half.

6)Yes, you can NOT do formal science. Nature study or have your dc read library books about whatever scientific topics interest them. You can also read Holling C. Holling books (Pagoo, Minn of the Mississipi) to them. These books are fabulous books full of scientific info without being too sciency, if that makes sense. If that's too much to contend with, check out Magic School Bus videos or Bill Nye videos (or have them watch Good Eats on the food network! Very sciencey cooking show. LOL).

You are right; there are going to be some adjustments, but I think it's definitely doable, with some support (you have us!). Trust yourself and don't be afraid to try things. If they don't work, it's ok. If you can attend a home school conference with Jay Wile as a speaker, that would be fabulous, because he's great at explaining how to do science at the jr and high school levels.

Hope this has helped some. :)

1) Personally, I'd read the Well Trained Mind, A Charlotte Mason Companion and Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum.

Ok, I have read WTM and every CM book out there...however, I have not read 100 Top Picks and as much as it is being recommended I think I will get me a copy. I already have, for the most part, a vision of the style of schooling we want. We are definitely classical, and *really* lean towards the framework of Trivium Pursuit. Which, IMO, is simply Classical Meets CM. ;)

2) I'd do a lot of reading aloud and allowing the dc to select non-fiction books from the library to read over. They can either orally or compositionally narrate the books.

Yes, I do think that is PERFECT! My older 2 can definitely be doing written narrations, while the 2 youngers do oral. We are a huge Read Aloud family so we already have that down pat. ;)

3) Yes. :)

-- have your dc read library books about whatever scientific topics interest them. You can also read Holling C. Holling books

Yes! Library here we come! I do have most of the Holling books, thank you for mentioning those, as I always do forget about them.

Read, read, read!

Mom, read Jim Trelease's book, "The Read Aloud Handbook" - and read to your children.

Make sure everyone has a library card!

Watch movies together (classics, classic Disney, National Geographic, PBS shows, etc.), color together, work in the yard together, listen to music together, listen to short stories on tape (myths are a great start)... As you do so, you will learn the interests, learning styles and comprehension levels of your kids. Then you can begin to apply those interests to your curriculum choices.

Early on, dedicate a large chunk of time (we did 4 hours) to spend at the library. Go to the largest library in your area - and let the kids roam the place for the day. Bring coloring materials for your young child to draw while you read to her. As things wind down, re-engergize everyone by asking staff if they have a library/Dewey decimal scavenger hunt that older kids can complete (and learn about the library). See what you can check out (movies, CDs, microscopes, telescopes, etc.). Let your kids find a quiet spot in the library that they might like to use as a study space. Learn how to navigate their catalogue online from home. Learn how to check out materials using interlibrary loan. Tour the library grounds (our libraries have orange groves, wandering chickens and peacocks, and preserves to wander about). The best thing you can do is to call ahead, and work with a librarian that can dedicate a chunk of time help you on your day out.

As kids de-school after a few weeks, bring them to a local teaching store and let them pick out a couple workbooks, games, posters, books, teaching tools, etc. If they choose workbooks, do not push to get them done! Let your kids work on them of their own free will. The idea is to help them realize they can learn around their interests.

You can casually teach using books on tape. The Story of the World series or any CD by Jim Weiss would be a great place to start. You can check them, and others out through your library.

When you feel they are ready, start with math and grammar (Rod and Staff has enough to teach grammar and writing, and the repetition of writing out the exercises will help with spelling).

My best to you and yours on your new adventure!

My Father's World? You could combine all the kids with this. You will need to pick a program on each childs level for math and language arts. But everything is done for you bible/history/art/music. It is a CM/Classical/Unit Study Approach and the TM is very straight forward for you~hardly any planning. I think you'd need to go to the library 1X a wk for "book basket" I would consider something like this atleast for the first year so that you can concentrate on other issues such as "de-schooling" and generally getting used to schooling at home. I have heard ALOT of moms that use MFW and they really like it! I also have researched reviews at homeschoolreviews.com and every review was positive.... And I agree with the other posters with the books that they recommended you to read.

This was the first thing that came to my mind!

Hope I was Helpful!

Katherine

Let us know what you order. :)

Well....my order does not reflect my original plans! lol

First of all Singapore Math and my kids are just not going to work. I also feel that I need some hand holding and laid out plans for our first year.

So Math for everyone: Abeka

English/Grammar/Writing for 2 olders: Abeka

Spelling for 9 yr: Abeka

History and science still all together with lots of family reading. ;)

I am hoping that our 3 R's can be done in the mornings in less then 2 hours. The afternoon spent in read alouds, and independent projects (oldest dd art, son computer science) and just family bonding!!

Hey, Dawne!

I think your plans are perfect. You will have a streamlined curriculum that's easier for you to manage. Abeka will probably be an easier transition for your kids who have been in school, and from what I have heard, it is a sound curriculum. You can always throw in some of your favorite CM and more "classical" elements in the afternoons and as your growing homeschool develops. Most importantly, you are blessing these kids with your time and your love, and God will bless you for that.

You go, Girl!

Many blessings to you and your family,

Thank you all! It is so exciting. :D

Nancy you hit it! My kids are used to the traditional textbooks approach and the 2 olders, after doing singapore placement tests, got a bit uptight over the 'new way of doing math'. lol

Eventually we will transistion things over to a more 'classical/cm' approach, but for now, for my sanity...this will work great. I know the old version of WTM rec Abeka for both math and grammar so they are apparently solid. I choose to just use Abeka grammar over R&S because of presentation being more palatable to the kids: color, spiral, etc....

Next year the 2 olders will both go into a more formal science approach. And I would love to get them into Classical writing as well. Slow and steady!