Menu

Food allergies that affect sinuses?

I've just realized that one of my dc must have more significant food sensitivities than I thought. The dc has been sick for several days and hasn't eaten much. Instead of waking daily with major sinus drainage and throat clearing, there is only minor sniffling. I know dairy is a problem, but we avoid that, and now I'm wondering what else it is. Since being sick, the dc has only eaten bananas, bread, and chicken. What other foods besides dairy would you suspect in causing the sinus drainage? Or, would simply having a fever cause the sinuses to dry up, and I don't need to worry about this? (Okay, that's probably wishful thinking, but do you think it could be that?) Input needed, please!!!!!

Unfortunately any food allergy could cause that problem. My dh is allergic to bananas - and it gives him sinus problems. But that is his body's weakness - if he has a problem with anything - it goes to his sinuses. Dd on the other hand shows all her reactions on her skin.
Onions do this to DS. Yeast produces so much mucus that it can quickly become an emergency situation. We were able to get him tested for food allergies and it turned out to be accurate. It is called electro-dermal screening, and is based on the science of accupuncture. Natural Doctors and Chiropractors will sometimes have the equipment and it works great for food allergies. Let me know if you want more information.

The main cause of sinus issues in this house is not related to food, but to dust mites.

We usually find that we are a bit better after a cold because the runny nose has wiped out a lot of the allergen that was in the sinuses in the first place.

We try to do sinus rinses now to keep everything clear.

Onions do this to DS. Yeast produces so much mucus that it can quickly become an emergency situation. We were able to get him tested for food allergies and it turned out to be accurate. It is called electro-dermal screening, and is based on the science of accupuncture. Natural Doctors and Chiropractors will sometimes have the equipment and it works great for food allergies. Let me know if you want more information.

Thanks. I know it works. We did this with this child at around 15 months, and followed up with homeopathic drops. It helped a lot. That doctor has retired, though. Is there a website you trust to give names of reputable providers?

Thanks. I know it works. We did this with this child at around 15 months, and followed up with homeopathic drops. It helped a lot. That doctor has retired, though. Is there a website you trust to give names of reputable providers?
I am pretty sure there is one. I'll try to find out where mine is listed. (She is in Fort Wayne, IN and was trained by a ND in Atlanta, GA.)

Depending on where you live perhaps cedar is the problem? We have cedar fever here, and our trees are bright orange (releasing pollen). Yuck! Dust mites, polyester (yes I have a son allergic to polyester, a pain in the tookus), something else not food related? New carpet or new furniture can stir up formaldehyde allergies (yep, same son has that issues too)?

The main cause of sinus issues in this house is not related to food, but to dust mites.

We usually find that we are a bit better after a cold because the runny nose has wiped out a lot of the allergen that was in the sinuses in the first place.

We try to do sinus rinses now to keep everything clear.

What do you use in your rinse? Water? Salt? I'd love suggestions...

I use a buffered saline that you can get in packets at the drug store. It is buffered with baking soda, I think. If I use just salt it burns a bit. With the saline packets it doesn't burn. The kind I get are called "NeilMed Sinus Rinse". I like the NeilMed sinus rinse bottle as well.

Thank you. I unfortunately went through sinus surgery and still need a netty pot.