Menu

I Hate my Washer

I have a 4.5 year old LG Tromm front load washer. When we bought it I thought it was going to be a great machine. Well over the last year I've come to hate it. I never thought I'd have so much trouble with a machine that's only a few years old. My brother has the washer we replaced when we bought this one and it's 12 years old and has never needed to be repaired at all.

I'm to the point that I just want this one to die and then I can go buy a good old top loader and be done with all the hassle of this machine. It's really not saved me anything, sure I can use a little less soap, but I have to make sure to find the HE stuff, as for energy and water it hasn't made that big of a difference at least not when you factor in all the down time it's had waiting for repairs. It's also dang near impossible to find a place that has someone qualified to fix it, so it usually takes longer to get it fixed and costs more too.

Just today it wouldn't spin, and when I called they said "Oh the motor was overloaded and you just need to unplug it for an hour and it will be fine then" Well I'm not sure I like the sound of "overloaded motor" that sounds like it will end up being trouble.

Thanks for listening to "I hate my washer", you can now get back to your regularly scheduled program

I sympathize. I gave my Maytag Neptune the heave-ho this weekend. It's control panel was going and although I could still fiddle with it and occasionally get it to work, it was obviously on its last legs. It wasn't quite 5 years old. :glare: There was no way I was going to sink big bucks into repairing that @@#$@!@$.

I went with a Frigidaire cheapie front-loader and it's so much quicker than the Neptune! I was tempted by the top loaders, but our electricity is so expensive that I really wanted to go with an Energy Star washer.

I have a 4.5 year old LG Tromm front load washer. When we bought it I thought it was going to be a great machine. Well over the last year I've come to hate it. I never thought I'd have so much trouble with a machine that's only a few years old. My brother has the washer we replaced when we bought this one and it's 12 years old and has never needed to be repaired at all.

A friend of mine has had problems with her LG also. She has only owned it for two years and has had the repair man out many times to fix it.

They just don't make appliances like they used to. My washer is 25+ (yes 25+) years old and it still works well. I will not replace it until it dies - completely.

I hope you can sort it out Kel, :grouphug:

I can sympathize but only because I have a microwave that I hate. It doesn't work probably when the temperature in our house is 65 degrees or less and we're setting the thermostat at 64 to save money. The company has never heard of a microwave that dislikes being cold.

I get all twitchy and scared reading these kinds of threads. This house came with a maytag washer & dryer set, c. 1983. They're not pretty but they're working just fine & I've put through about 2 loads a day, each day, for almost 3 years now...

I really hope they just keep going and going. Because when I they, I have no idea what to replace them with. It seems nothing decent (by which I mean will last another 25years) is being made these days.

I was a bit concerned about environmental issues & energy star etc. but really, how environmental is it to have to replace an appliance very 5 years & have it end up in a dump prematurely? Or to have the repair people drive out to the house a couple times a year?

That is such a bummer! It just doesn't make sense. How can something turn into such a piece of junk so quickly and cost sooo much! We just kicked a not quite 5 year old washer out the door and bought a front loader. We were actually going to just buy a top loader since it seemed easier to manage and the sales person told us they are phasing them out!? Does capitalism now equal junk!?

I bought a $60 toaster that I thought would be great and a week after using it, it stopped toasting evenly on each side! I was so upset! And, now 3 years later I'm just hoping it will blow up so I can justify buying a new one!

Well I called LG and they had me do this "Procedure" which didn't help at all, they gave the number of the one and only repair guy in our area (read within 100 miles) and he said "Well it may be just the sensor, but probably not. If it is just the sensor it will be about $125 to fix it, if not it could be as much as $500" :confused:

I'm waiting on Dh to email me back (He's on the ship for the next 4 days and only contact is email, yes it's military murphy's law, the day he's unavailable is the day things break) I'm usually good about making decisions about things like this when dh is away but this one is really just throwing me for a loop, because now if I replace it I'm gun shy about that to get. Do I get a top loader because they've been around for so long, another front loader but different brand (maybe it's an LG thing), just get this one fixed and hope for the best?

Thanks for listening to my ramble, again.

:grouphug:I feel your pain. I'm not sure what the right decision is, but hope it works out without costing you a fortune.

My excellent, top of the line (read expensive) dishwasher died in Novemeber. It will be two-years-old on the 15th. They don't make em like they used to. Oh, and when my 4 year old washing machine broke down, I went with a Maytag top loader.

I'm sorry you are having such trouble. We absolutely love our LG Tromm Steamwasher. It is absolutely amazing. I'd call LG again, and ask to speak to a manager. Have a list of the problems and dates of the problems. Be polite but firm. I'll bet they help you.

Anyway, to save yourself some money, you could make your own laundry soap. I do...a gallon cost about 50 cents, I think. If you are interested, let me know.

Ria

I can sympathize but only because I have a microwave that I hate. It doesn't work probably when the temperature in our house is 65 degrees or less and we're setting the thermostat at 64 to save money. The company has never heard of a microwave that dislikes being cold.

Maybe that is why ours isn't wanting to run? Right now it is just a timer/clock and lit breadbox :glare:

Here's a link to the recipe for laundry soap that I use. I've been using this in my LG Tromm Steamwasher since spring, and our clothes are fresh and clean. This is very low sudsing (in fact, I've never seen suds) and will save you a ton of money...no need to buy the expensive HE detergents.

http://plainoldkristi.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-to-make-homemade-laundry-soap-step.html

Ria

Maybe that is why ours isn't wanting to run? Right now it is just a timer/clock and lit breadbox :glare:

At least you have a timer/clock. We have to keep ours unplugged when not in use.

Our beeps nonstop while the display flashes random characters and shapes nonstop. The only way to stop it is to press the popcorn button until it stops; it's the only button that works. Once you do that, you hit the clear button which enables the other buttons to work. Sometimes, it takes a few minutes of hitting popcorn and clear to get the other buttons to work. Sometimes when you hit popcorn, it thinks you hit defrost. You just keep pushing buttons until you get it to work. The colder the house, the longer it takes to get it to work. I've been known to temporarily turn up the heat in order to use the microwave.

Well all, DH has called me and given his .02 on the matter. He's done throwing good money after bad on this machine and I'm to go out tomorrow and get a new one. I hate that we have to spend the money but at the same time I would be to worried to try and fix this one again. I've done everything they've said to do in the instruction booklet and still nothing but trouble has come to me. I give up on LG. The house we rent has an LG fridge and I can't even tell you how many times I've had to call them about that.