Menu

One more reason to avoid corn syrup

Wow.

:glare:

That's awful. We've been avoiding HFCS (&hydrogenated oils) ever since dh took biochem :). Last year we discovered that D is sensitive to all corn/corn-derived products, so our corn consumption is waay down.

For more on how cornified our country is, check out the movie "King Corn".

Yeah, and the last 2 issues of Family Fun magazine had advertisements proclaiming that HFCS is just the same as regular sugar. :rolleyes:

ETA: Actually I think the advertisements claimed that HFCS has the same amount of CALORIES as sugar. I don't think it actually compared the two healthwise, but still. It definately makes it look like HFCS is just as harmless as sugar.

Edited by Faline
Just wanted to clarify

It was just last year that HFCS began making its way on the Mexican shelves. It is still very rare though, because sugar cane is the most abundant source of sweetener. It is still VERY easy to avoid here because most everything is made from scratch. Wonderful stuff that scratch. :)

I recently noticed that Karo corn syrup has gone back to the 'original' formula. The past few years they have had HFCs and water listed under ingredients.

I'm so glad they changed back. I use corn syrup in my candy making (seasonal)--have not found a suitable substitute yet.

I noticed that too! I had an old bottle of corn syrup in the pantry and needed to buy some more to make homemade marshmallows over Christmas (I *rarely* use corn syrup - that bottle was probably several years old. . .) and saw that the new bottle was just corn syrup and not HCFS.