Menu

Calling all quilters!

How many of you on this board like quilting? What are you currently working on? What is your favorite website? What kind of machine do you sew with?

I love quilting and have been doing it for about 17 years. I have A LOT of tops but not many finished quilts in my house (that are my own). My mom taught me to quilt and she continues to quilt to this day. Currently, I have about 10 projects going in various degrees of being completed. I have taught a couple of fabric-folding quilt classes and have put together a few quilt retreat weekends. I would love to hear what you are working on and how you find time to quilt. I try to get in a couple of hours during the day but this doesn't happen every day. My ds is patiently waiting for me to make one for him. I made a crib-sized quilt for each of my 4 children and have them tucked away for safe keeping.

Hi I quilt! I have been for about 3 years now. I always machine piece on my treadle machine and hand quilt them. I have made (and finished) 2 quilts each for my girls, one for my son, another for my sister, one for my dad last year. I tried dying my own fabric and made one for my bed out of the dye samples (I love this one). there is another (simple squares) made as a throw for the sofa, and another made out of old shirts from second hand shops that is used outside.

My current project is a 'blue and white' quilt of my own design based on old china. I love this one. Its pieced and pinned and I'm hand quilting it now, but its summer here, so a bit warm for hand quilting.

My neighbour got me into quilting, and I love it. last winter we listened to SOTW on audio, and I quilted and ds legoed. We loved it!

Willow

I used to watch my college roommate quilt and always wanted to try it. I didn't get up the nerve until about 6 years ago, though. I have only finished a handful of quilts... I just don't have as much concentrated time and un-concentrated space as I'd like. I hand piece the tops on my inexpensive, Brother machine then hand quilt and bind the rest. Right now I am working on an alphabet-themed jar quilt for my nephew. (It was supposed to be a birth gift... 4 months ago. :glare: ) I have been collecting scraps for quilts for my boys' beds which will be a star pattern made with various denims and flannels. I am also collecting old grey and black suits (and looking for some source of maroon wool, too) to make a more modern-looking quilt for my own bed. Some day.

I make quilts, but I take the easy way out and tie them together :D. I have just a regular Singer sewing maching to piece together the tops.

Right now I am working on one for ds made from his baby clothes (0-12 months) and one for dd made from her baby clothes (0-12 months). I just didn't want to get rid of any of their old clothes. Every time I saw one of the outfits I would always go, "Oh, that was the one that...fill in the blank" and thought it was too special to give up. Guess I'm just a sentamental gal. :blush:

The last quilts I finished were one for dh made out of colors of his favorite NLF team and one for my parents made from old jeans on one side and flannel on the other for an outdoor blanket.

I always wanted to actually hand quilt one, but it just seems like it would take too long.

I LOVE to quilt!

I made my first quilt about 8 years ago. I was hooked! After having my daughter, (dc #2) I've had a hard time finding time. I mostly have been making baby quilts for friends, not too many big projects.

I currently have a civil war fabric quilt going (haven't touched in 3 years???) a double wedding ring quilt that just needs to be quilted (I already started doing it by hand..so I should finish it that way) and I actually just did a baby quilt over the weekend. I machine quilted it today and am going to do the binding during Super Bowl.

I have a Kenmore although one day I'd love a Husqvarna. :)

Love to meet other quilters!

I'm still working on my first ever quilt. It had to get put aside while I worked on other projects, like Christmas presents, but I will get back to it this winter. It's far too hot for quilting now! It's a story quilt about my grandfather for my brother who doesn't remember him too well. I'd love to learn how to do the stained glass looking quilts, but that will have to wait for a while. The next quilt I intend to make is a denim quilt for hubby.

The idea of making a quilt out of baby clothes is way too cute!! Ah, I have so much to learn. But I have plenty of fabric to learn with!!

:)

Rosie

P.S Willow, I'd love to see pics of your quilt. I have a beading pattern based off the blue willow china and am thinking of sewing that up for dd for Christmas one year.

Edited by Rosie_0801

Oh, me! I'm a serious quilter, I guess. I've been doing it for about 15 years. Lately I've been sewing more clothes, but I 've got plenty of quilts too--right now I have 4 tops I need to finish and a couple of others in the block stage. I just did a little doll quilt for my 5yo, who got a Felicity doll for Christmas, it's reasonable historical looking.

I'm a Bernina devotee.

How many of you on this board like quilting? What are you currently working on? What is your favorite website? What kind of machine do you sew with?

I love quilting and have been doing it for about 17 years. I have A LOT of tops but not many finished quilts in my house (that are my own). My mom taught me to quilt and she continues to quilt to this day. Currently, I have about 10 projects going in various degrees of being completed. I have taught a couple of fabric-folding quilt classes and have put together a few quilt retreat weekends. I would love to hear what you are working on and how you find time to quilt. I try to get in a couple of hours during the day but this doesn't happen every day. My ds is patiently waiting for me to make one for him. I made a crib-sized quilt for each of my 4 children and have them tucked away for safe keeping.

I have been quilting for about 7 years. I recently started working part-time at a local quilt shop and love it! I just finished a sample for the shop and am now working on a scrappy Jacobs Ladder quilt that I started a couple years ago. In December I made a quilted tree skirt for my sister and a baby quilt for my new nephew.

I sew on a Bernina most of the time, but I have a Babylock that I take to classes or sewing days. I also have an HQ16 though I don't quilt for others. My dh also quilts though he does so in phases. He has a couple tops he made that need to be quilted and the main quilt on our bed was one he made.

Just curious what part of MN you are in, if you don't mind my asking. We are in central MN. Nice to see a homeschooling quilter in this neck of the woods. :D

I enjoy quilting, but since I don't have a very good relationship with any sewing machine, I do it all by hand and am much happier. My husband is an artist at heart, so he's designed several of my quilts (my avatar is his design that I quilted).

Hand piecing makes it a lot easier for me to work on a quilt through the day because I'm not tied to the sewing machine and I can work anywhere. I've been quilting off and on since I was a teenager, but I haven't done much quilting recently. I need to get back to it again.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I love quilting! I've been quilting for ten years. I took it up when my husband was deployed to Bosnia for seven months in 1999. I had to find something to fill my time, as we didn't have kids at that point.

I use a Pfaff Quilt Expression and I'm currently working on...

A redwork quilt for my daughter who loves cats. It's from this book...

http://www.amazon.com/Kitties-Stitch-Quilt-Redwork-Designs/dp/1564773094/ref=pd_sim_b_15

I used only red fabrics because I love the look of that. The 12 kitty blocks took several months to embroider, but it was so worth it. I'm finished piecing. I just have to quilt it.

Fabric shopping for coordinating twin size quilts for my boys (who will soon be sharing a room to make space for a dedicated school room).

A baby quilt for a friend who is expecting.

A Christmas quilt for our family.

A family picnic quilt with a red gingham background and appliqued food items and ants. Very ambitious. I'm frightened. It will be done!

I'm in the dream and fabric collecting stages for my daughter's Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt (going to be a sweet 16 present so I have 12 more years!). My absolute favorite quilt fabric is 1930s reproduction fabric and I've got quite a stash! Each of my babies has a 30s baby quilt. The second quilt I ever made was a queen size machine-pieced, hand-quilted 1930s quilt which is our own family heirloom. It comforts the kids when sick and has been my husband's little piece of home for two tours (totalling 27 months) in Iraq. I'm paralyzed with fear when it's in transit. :crying: :lol:

I'm also currently working on finding historic resources for quilt blocks through American history. My kids have expressed a big interest in my quilting and I intend to help them each complete one block for every historic period we cover over the next two years. By the end of our two year study of American history, they should each have a lovely memory quilt. If it goes well, I think I'll do the something similar to chronicle our four year world history cycle that will follow.

My favorite quilting sites are Keepsake Quilting and Hancocks of Paducah. I mostly just love to read (and dog-ear!) quilting books.

I took up quilting again last year after a many years break. I finished a lap quilt for myself in November. Currently I'm working on a wall hanging from a kit. Probably won't do a kit again because I'm not happy with the fabric choices. ;)

This time around, I'm realizing how much I enjoy hand work. I hand quilted my lap quilt last summer. There is great pleasure in an old movie on TV and quiet stitching on my lap.

From time to time, I blog about my quilting.

Next up....well, I'm looking through quilt books for a next project. Something that will challenge my skills but not overwhelm me.

I've been quilting for about 16 years. I tend to use reproduction fabrics...Civil War era, mostly. I like TINY pieces. I have a 40 inch square quilt on the wall above my machine and it has 1000 pieces in it.

Currently I am machine quilting a queen size quilt and a large lap quilt. And I am piecing a miniature. And I'm planning a baby quilt for our new granddaughter, due to arrive in mid-June.

I love my Bernina.

My favorite sites are Keepsake and Hancock's of Paducah.

And I wish all of you lived near me. I have NO nearby quilting friends.

Am I the only one using a treadle? It is a lovely machine, but huge (and very heavy...cast iron base and wheel let alone the head!

I love it though.

About the blue and white quilt....as soon as dd gets in and shows me how to upload a photo I'll put it on.

Willow

I hand sew most of mine. At the moment I'm trying to finish a white cot quilt that I started for my oldest when I was pregnant with her. I'm hoping to finish before my next baby arrives in August. I don't get a lot of time for any sewing at the moment.

I have made a few quilts. each child has one that I have made them. I am curently working on a double bed scrap quilt. a single bed holy hobbie applica with my daughter and a dresden patch quilt.

I piece together with my benina, and hand quilt.

I don't buy material for quilting. just use leftovers from making all the family's clothes.