Menu

Benjamin Button or Last Chance Harvey?

I haven't seen either movie, but from the trailers I vote for Last Chance Harvey. It just looks like a feel good kind of movie to me. :lurk5:

I hope someone who has seen both movies will provide insight.

Have fun at the movies; you deserve it!

I'm taking myself out to the movies tonight and I don't know which movie to go see. I have free movie passes to use (a failed attempt to take ds4, dd8 to see Tale of Desperaux, :( )

Hi Jessica,

I am also taking myself out to see Benjamin Button this afternoon -- alone! I haven't had a moment to myself since I took myself to see Twilight in early Dec.

Have fun!!

I haven't seen Last Change Harvey, but Benjamin Button was superb!

It's a film that really makes you think about life. It's beautiful made. Long (so you get your money's-worth :tongue_smilie:) and haunting.

For me, Benjamin Button made a strong emotional impact that persisted for days (a good thing from my perspective, but this was not what I'd call a light film).

If you are in the mood to ponder life, and are up for a "bitter-sweet" experience, I'd give Benjamin Button five stars.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

But but but Bill, it's got Brad Pitt! For that reason alone, I contend that it can't be but so good. He hasn't been good since 1992 (A River Runs Through It).

At the same time, however, Last Chance Harvey is about a relationship between a man played by a 71-year-old and a woman played by a 49-year-old. How 'bout a 70-something woman picking up a 40-something guy? THAT I'm going to watch. ;)

But but but Bill, it's got Brad Pitt! For that reason alone, I contend that it can't be but so good. He hasn't been good since 1992 (A River Runs Through It).

At the same time, however, Last Chance Harvey is about a relationship between a man played by a 71-year-old and a woman played by a 49-year-old. How 'bout a 70-something woman picking up a 40-something guy? THAT I'm going to watch. ;)

I had the same feeling you have. Brad Pitt, to me, can be a serious distraction in a film. I was prepared to not like this movie based on his staring-role.

I was wrong. He was very good, and the film was soul-stirring. Top-notch!

BTW, Brad Pitt was in another outstanding film recently (although it was so "slow" and long that its place as a master-piece could only be appreciated by a select few) called The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. I'd bet 9/10 people who saw this film found it "boring", but I'm telling you this was a very (very) fine piece of cinema!!!

Bill (opinionated film-snob :D)

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. I'd bet 9/10 people who saw this film found it "boring", but I'm telling you this was a very (very) fine piece of cinema!!!

Huh. I remember when it came out, but as usual, I heard "Brad Pitt" and put my fingers in my ears. But I'll have to check it out now because Spy Car says it rocks--and that works for me.

I'll thank you in advance for my DH, who will be SO thrilled to see a western and not another parlor period piece (or as he calls them all, "They Came to Talk"). :D

BTW, Brad Pitt was in another outstanding film recently (although it was so "slow" and long that its place as a master-piece could only be appreciated by a select few) called The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. I'd bet 9/10 people who saw this film found it "boring", but I'm telling you this was a very (very) fine piece of cinema!!!

I also loved the Ass. of Jesse James. My kind of movie, but then again, I tend to be the odd man out when it comes to most movies. I was pleasantly surprised so many enjoyed In Bruges, with Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, Ralph Fiennes.

Not sure why I found BB just OK, not bad, but not great. And I usually love David Fincher's movies. I loved how it looked, felt, but found it too long and just never felt much for the characters.

:confused:

I also loved the Ass. of Jesse James. My kind of movie, but then again, I tend to be the odd man out when it comes to most movies. I was pleasantly surprised so many enjoyed In Bruges, with Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, Ralph Fiennes.

Not sure why I found BB just OK, not bad, but not great. And I usually love David Fincher's movies. I loved how it looked, felt, but found it too long and just never felt much for the characters.

:confused:

Jenny, because the movie stars Brad Pitt, I find your abbreviation--the Ass. of Jesse James--just...irrationally FUNNY!! Bwaaa!

But seriously. Your comment that I bolded: That's the biggie for me. If I can't connect with one or more character in some way, the movie, no matter how "good," just doesn't do it for me. Period.

Huh. I remember when it came out, but as usual, I heard "Brad Pitt" and put my fingers in my ears. But I'll have to check it out now because Spy Car says it rocks--and that works for me.

I'll thank you in advance for my DH, who will be SO thrilled to see a western and not another parlor period piece (or as he calls them all, "They Came to Talk"). :D

The film runs 2 hours and 40 minutes (I just looked it up) but it feels like 3 and a half :D

I would not recommend this film to just anyone (Zzzzzzzzzzzzz), but you my dear, are among an elect few I think could/will appreciate this fine work of art.

If I'm wrong, you know where to find me :tongue_smilie:

Bill

I also loved the Ass. of Jesse James. My kind of movie, but then again, I tend to be the odd man out when it comes to most movies.

Funny, but you are the only other person who jumped to mind to whom I'd have recommended Jesse James.

Have you seen The Reader ?

Bill

The film runs 2 hours and 40 minutes (I just looked it up) but it feels like 3 and a half :D

I would not recommend this film to just anyone (Zzzzzzzzzzzzz), but you my dear, are among an elect few I think could/will appreciate this fine work of art.

If I'm wrong, you know where to find me :tongue_smilie:

Bill

Gee thanks! :grouphug:

Or...wait. Did you just call me boring, Bill?? :001_huh: :D

Jenny, because the movie stars Brad Pitt, I find your abbreviation--the Ass. of Jesse James--just...irrationally FUNNY!! Bwaaa!

But seriously. Your comment that I bolded: That's the biggie for me. If I can't connect with one or more character in some way, the movie, no matter how "good," just doesn't do it for me. Period.

:w00t::lol: That's sssooo funny!

It is a nice ass... :D

Benjamin Button gets my vote!! I haven't seen either but I think if I were able to go to the movies I would pick Benjamin Button! I wish I could go with you! I haven't been out to the movies in over a year.

To me, I don't really pay attention to who is in the movie, what I look for is a good story, if it looks to be a good story then I can look past an actor I don't care too much for. I hardy know actors by there names anyway, my dh is always saying, 'don't you know that is so and so' And I'm also giving him this look :001_huh: LOL

It's a film that really makes you think about life. It's beautiful made. Long (so you get your money's-worth :tongue_smilie:) and haunting.

For me, Benjamin Button made a strong emotional impact that persisted for days (a good thing from my perspective, but this was not what I'd call a light film).

If you are in the mood to ponder life, and are up for a "bitter-sweet" experience, I'd give Benjamin Button five stars.

Bill

:iagree: absolutely. My experience exactly!

Kim

I had the same feeling you have. Brad Pitt, to me, can be a serious distraction in a film. I was prepared to not like this movie based on his staring-role.

Hah! I did see ... Jesse James... twice! and loved it.

Kim (lover of looong, thoughtful movies (take me awaaaay.....))

Well I went to see Revolutionary Road instead. I didn't use the free movie pass b/c I wanted to see that movie more than the other two. I'm glad I saw it, others walking out of it thought it was slow moving and boring but I thought it was...wonderful in a weird way.

I guess those who can't relate may not 'get' it but I did. I'm glad I saw it alone, no one to talk to about it afterwards was very nice. :)

:drool:Brad Pitt is a serious distraction to me in a very good way. :drool:

I saw The Assassination of Jesse James the other night and relly enjoyed it. I didn't find it boring at all.