Menu

My blueberries are sinking! My blueberries are sinking!

How do I keep my blueberries from drifting to the bottom of the batter. Me thinks it is the consistency of the batter (which is a wonderful whole wheat, egg white, honey thing). I stir well prior to putting them in the cups, but they sink during baking.

Are there any tricks I should know about?

Thanks.

Jo

Have you tried gently folding them into your batter? Stirring it all together too well may be deflating your baking powder action and also breaking up your blueberries. So just a tiny once-around-the-bowl stir and spoon the batter into your muffin cups. Just a thought.

Ginger

Are we talking muffins here? (I was thinking pancakes at first.) If it is muffins, maybe you are overmixing the batter. According to Alton Brown, stir 10 times, add the blueberries, then stir only 3 more times. I saw his episode on muffins a while back. It made me laugh because he said to stir three times, put the spoon down and back away. It's so hard to do that!

Are we talking muffins here? (I was thinking pancakes at first.) If it is muffins, maybe you are overmixing the batter. According to Alton Brown, stir 10 times, add the blueberries, then stir only 3 more times. I saw his episode on muffins a while back. It made me laugh because he said to stir three times, put the spoon down and back away. It's so hard to do that!

Guilty! I'm guilty of overstirring. I'm so ashamed.

Actually I'm guilty of putting the whole whing in the kitchenaide and getting distracted.:D

Thanks. Next round will be better.

Oh no! No, no! Don't mix the muffin batter in a mixer! Somewhere, I think a whole herd of Home Ec teachers just started having chest pain.

For muffins, you just want the dry stuff to be barely mixed in. Really, if there are some little crumbs of dry stuff still in there, it's fine. Otherwise, they get tough and there's tunneling and... :ack2: You don't want to develop the gluten, like in a cake or yeast dough.

(And can we all pause to laugh at the fact that there are two pages on sinking blueberries? We are obviously an overly analytical lot.)

Oh no! No, no! Don't mix the muffin batter in a mixer! Somewhere, I think a whole herd of Home Ec teachers just started having chest pain.

For muffins, you just want the dry stuff to be barely mixed in. Really, if there are some little crumbs of dry stuff still in there, it's fine. Otherwise, they get tough and there's tunneling and... :ack2: You don't want to develop the gluten, like in a cake or yeast dough.

(And can we all pause to laugh at the fact that there are two pages on sinking blueberries? We are obviously an overly analytical lot.)

OK we must have been in the same home ec class somewhere in Maryland. My dear sweet home ec teacher Mrs. Beers had to be one of my most memorable teachers(all for great reasons too) I can still hear her in my head when I make muffins, stir three time and gently girls(this was before they let boys in home ec)

OK we must have been in the same home ec class somewhere in Maryland. My dear sweet home ec teacher Mrs. Beers had to be one of my most memorable teachers(all for great reasons too) I can still hear her in my head when I make muffins, stir three time and gently girls(this was before they let boys in home ec)

Heehee. Did you also have an art teacher who was reportedly a former Playboy bunny?

OH, oh, oh!!! I have laughed at this until I had tears!!! Too funny!!!

Jo, please stir the batter by hand. Briefly.

Ria (still chuckling)