Menu

Give me some places to start, and some information on, distance learning for college

My dd is interested in doing some distance learning, instead of driving 1.5 hours to school. Any places in particular to look at? How does this work? Can you really earn a degree this way?

She LOVES the reading, studying, etc., but hates the commuting and the sitting in class (guess that comes from 13 years of doing things at her own pace). She wants a degree, but without all that traditional "stuff."

Thanks for the input.

Bear's Guide to Earning Degrees by Distance Learning is a classic guide to this and is available in many libraries. There are other guides too. Many of the online universities are pricey though, so you might check with in-state schools because more and more of them are doing part or all of their degrees online. If they choose among certain majors, my kids will be able to do 2 years at the local CC which has a lot of online classes then transfer to a state college that broadcasts some classes to the same CC and has some online classes.

Online degrees actually don't cost colleges as much as having on-campus students and tend to attract a broader student base, so it's a growing part of higher education. I teach both in the classroom and online at the local CC, and we are doing more and more so that students don't have to be on campus as much.

You can always check and see what classes are offered online by your local colleges. IOW, you wouldn't have to make the long drive until exam time. I found that route much easier than using an all online program. My profs could call me, meet me, teach me in person, if I was having a difficult time. Also, I had the bonuses (a team to support, a 'community') that you miss with the all online schools.

I *HIGHLY* recommend you go with a brick-and-mortar school in your state or possibly near your community, but one that excels at offering online degree programs. Most of the "earn your degree online" things you find online are hoaxes...or just inferior programs. Your nearest university probably offers great online degrees, many of which you NEVER have to drive to campus at all. East Carolina University, where my daughter attends, is really good with online offerings, depending on the major of course.

What is she interested in studying?

I HIGHLY recommend http://www.wgu.edu especially if she is interested in IT or teaching or business. They also have some health related fields. It is fully accredited including specialized accreditation for education.

There are some GREAT pluses with this program also:

1) Tuition is $3000 for 6 months whether you do 12 credits or 36.

2) Many of the materials are available through the school so you don't have as many books and such

3) You can take 1-5 months off between 6 month terms

4) Classes are self-paced, most scheduled to be about 5-12 weeks but you can do whatever you need (within the term).

5) You have a mentor you speak to every week (or more if you need) the first term or two. Some people go down to talking to them only every 2 weeks after that.

6) There is a community for each course where you can attend chats or post on a message board for additional clarification, asking questions, general support, etc.

7) It is compentency based so it isn't just about whatever grade you get, but you keep working til you master the topic.

8) Tests are proctored nearby

Anyway, it's a pretty interesting program. BTW, if she DOES decide to do it, PM me and I'll make it where y'all don't have an application fee :)

Most of the "earn your degree online" things you find online are hoaxes...or just inferior programs.

This IS often true. However, there are some good programs available. It is becoming more and more reasonable that universities WOULD set up like this and some have some great opportunities. Just make sure you do your research!

Most of the "earn your degree online" things you find online are hoaxes...or just inferior programs.

This IS often true. However, there are some good programs available. It is becoming more and more reasonable that universities WOULD set up like this and some have some great opportunities. Just make sure you do your research!

This is so true! And many of those degrees earned online are not worth the paper they are written on. Make sure that the university granting the degree is part of a system governed by a board of regents and accredited by some agency other than itself. Here's a link that will help with accreditation searches.

I know of a homeschooling family in the area that doesn't believe in their children leaving home for college. They are proud of the fact that the kids are earning business degrees online. Unfortunately it's through some obscure, non-accredited school and won't be marketable. Degrees are not all equal.

What you need to look for is a regionally accredited degree program, NOT a nationally accredited one. The 3 colleges discussed in the link I posted above are all legit regionally accredited institutions that are part of their state university systems. They are the only ones I know of that have no residency requirement and accept 100% transfer credit.

There are other colleges (you will see them advertising extensively) that have no residency requirement that are legit ~but~ are for profit institutions that cost big bucks and are not (imho) well respected.

In this state the state uni's online bachelor offerings pretty much require you to come in with 60 hours already done, but the masters degrees you can get online here are pretty sweet. :001_smile:

Georgia

some type of nutrition program. I don't really know all the options for that type of thing, but she is VERY interested in nutrition/health foods, etc. She also loves psychology, but knows she can't really go anywhere with that without furthering her education beyond a bs.

Are there any kind of alternative nutrition fields that I might be missing? Some other shorter term programs that might offer something that could get you in the job market working with diets/nutrition?

Otherwise, maybe the online classes through the slightly larger college she first attended would be a good idea.

I *HIGHLY* recommend you go with a brick-and-mortar school in your state or possibly near your community, but one that excels at offering online degree programs. Most of the "earn your degree online" things you find online are hoaxes...or just inferior programs. Your nearest university probably offers great online degrees, many of which you NEVER have to drive to campus at all. East Carolina University, where my daughter attends, is really good with online offerings, depending on the major of course.

Hijacking the post to say that I hope to use ECU's degree completion program to take my two years as an English major at Mary Baldwin College in VA, and earn a BA in Journalism and Communication from ECU. It looks like a GREAT program, I need to get my paperwork together and apply!

Speaking of which, Mary Baldwin College, in Staunton VA, has a WONDERFUL distance learning program, but I *think* it's just for adults (over 25).

I did most of my university degrees by distance learning. I would recommend choosing one reasonably close to home because I had to attend what where called 'residential schools'. The residential schools were 4 intensive days of lectures from 8 - 5 (usually) and labs.

I much prefer the distance ed approach and would recommend it to anyone. That said, it does take much more discipline and it is nice to talk to someone who understands the trials of university study sometimes, too. It can be challenging emotionally when you struggling/frustrated/annoyed/feeling unsupported etc etc to not realize that most other people are feeling the same way as you.

In Australia there several universities that offer this option, and the degrees have exactly the same weight as the traditional bricks and mortor approach.

I just wanted to say that I think a nutritionist is a wonderful career. My dd was diagnosed with celiac disease this year, and the pediatric nutritionist has been a wonderful help.

About distance learning... I have 5 students who use my classroom before school to take multivariable calculus from GA Tech. It takes discipline, but they have all been successful. Good luck to your daughter.