Menu

Med ? Albuterol makes 5 yr old wound up?

OK, my 5 yr old ds is normally squirrelly, but he just started taking albuterol in a breathing machine and is acting super hyper squirrelly. It's sooooo hard for him to sit still for the treatments right now. Anyone have experience with Albuterol? Is this a drug thing, or a 5yro thing.

Thanks

Katty

Yep, this is a common complaint with albuterol.

Once you get the breathing under control, and when you don't need a nebulizer anymore, but can go to just a regular inhaler..you may ask the doctor if Xopenex has been approved for his age. It works similarly, but can reduce the jitteriness. I am just not sure if it is approved for kids yet.

My side effects actually got better when I switched to an albuterol from my bricanyl. But yeah it used to be really really bad. If I were you I would talk to the doctor about it and see if maybe a different brand would be better.

Other than that:grouphug::grouphug:

Edited by TeacherZee

OK, my 5 yr old ds is normally squirrelly, but he just started taking albuterol in a breathing machine and is acting super hyper squirrelly. It's sooooo hard for him to sit still for the treatments right now. Anyone have experience with Albuterol? Is this a drug thing, or a 5yro thing.

Thanks

Katty

It's a drug thing;p I have to use albuterol occasionally and can *really* feel it. It makes me incredibly fidgety...my heart races etc. I prefer xopenex, which is a specific type of albuterol: levalbuterol. It's much better from a side effect profile...ime:)

Katherine

I was given some by an ER doc. last Feb. when I had pneumonia and it took only one dose for me to swear NEVER AGAIN!!! I was up all night, unable to sleep! I can believe that for some folks it is not an appropriate drug. If your son is bouncing off the walls on it, ask the doc. to prescribe something else.

Let me also add that after my first dose, I swore 'never again'. However, at the time, I had to keep taking it and had no other option....so I continued. The intensity of the side effects *decreased* over time. I did get 'used to it' to some extent....

Xopenex is much much nicer though....

:)

K

That stuff is horrid--and is ineffective in more that 80% of patients!

The 'old' Albuterol used in nebulizers WILL cause hyperactivity--it stimulates the WHOLE body just as the liquid does.

I agree with the other poster--there is another form of Albuterol that causes MUCH less hyperactivity. Xopenex- it can be used in young children and babies (BTDT).

There is a choice when your child's airway is restricted--use the meds or risk the child not being able to breathe (or the situation in the lungs getting worse and pneumonia setting it)...I was once hesitant to use Albuterol with my middle dd when she was a baby--I did not like the stimulant effects--BUT once the Dr told me straight up that CPR does not work when the airway is constricted I decided to use the meds--it was a BLESSING with Xopenex came out!

Yep, this is a common complaint with albuterol.

Once you get the breathing under control, and when you don't need a nebulizer anymore, but can go to just a regular inhaler..you may ask the doctor if Xopenex has been approved for his age. It works similarly, but can reduce the jitteriness. I am just not sure if it is approved for kids yet.

Yep, my 5 year old has used Xopenex since 4. It has no noticeable side effects for my little guy. We stated using Asthmanex (sp?) daily during times when he has trouble (fall and spring), and it helps reduce the amount the neb is used. We also keep his allergies in check which helps ALOT.

Thanks

Katty

Holy cow, I remember those days.

I wanted to tie my son up when he was on alb~